SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
20,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Herthas Stadium Project: Study will be presented in early 2017

Hertha BSC is pushing forward the plans for a new football stadium. Hertha's President, Werner Gegenbauer, said on Monday evening, "The order for the architects is out. In January, at the latest in February, we will publicly present the first results in public. Then you can talk about sites. "

In the externally prepared feasibility study, not only the location question is discussed, but also the financing of the possible new arena, which is to be created in Berlin or in the surrounding area of ​​Berlin. It is clear that Hertha can not control the large project by his own power, but must take a financer for the boat. Possibly this part of the strategic partner, according to which the club has been looking for some time.

The current rental contract for the Olympiastadion, the owner of which is the state of Berlin, runs until 2025. After that the club, if he can implement his wish, wants to move into a pure football arena, which offers more comfort and fluidum than the Olympiastadion and a Changed income situation.
www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesl...jekt_studie-wird-anfang-2017-vorgestellt.html

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
Don't think 60k is too big. Berlin is a mightily growing metropolis, so its largest football club definitely should offer something.

The issue with Hertha though is, it's not really "sexy" currently. Rather Union Berlin is.
But just like everything, this will change in the course of time.

·
Registered
34,421 Posts
^^ The current stadium is imho very far from the dynamic city centre. It is almost beyond the western city border. It would be great if Hertha BSC could find a spot more to the middle of the city so that travel times to visit would be greatly reduced. And that more spectators can combine a visit to the stadium with a visit to the city shops, bars and restaurants. Then I can see them fill a 60,000 seat stadium easily.

Exciting times ahead for this grand old lady of the German Football! :cheers:

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
With current ongoing issues in Berlin's large public-funded projects like BER Airport, Museum Island etc., I wouldn't expect actual construction activities for a new stadium soon.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Why this boring architecture? Think a little bit bigger, Hertha and Berlin! Berlin does not deserve a boring football stadium like that and I think Hertha could sign some better players with a more unique designed stadium.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
They really need a new stadium, but it's kind of too bad that the OS will probably become a bit worthless as a result. I hope somehow the city of Berlin can afford to keep both.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Why this boring architecture? Think a little bit bigger, Hertha and Berlin! Berlin does not deserve a boring football stadium like that and I think Hertha could sign some better players with a more unique designed stadium.
That's not really the design, it's merely a concept of where the stadium can be located. I am fairly sure they will try to do something quite iconic being in the Olympic Park.

·
Registered
34,421 Posts
^^ I would have thought (and hoped) that they could find a more inner-city-like location then the Olympic site which is so far out to the west of the city.

Reactions: carlosfng

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,854 Posts
Any new stadium this large in Germany, especially in a key city like Berlin, should design the stadium with NFL games in mind. Berlin could end up being the next "London" for NFL international games.

They should try to work out a deal with the NFL to help fund a retractable field like New Hart Lane or something. Maybe even have the stadium set up so they could expand the capacity to 55-60k with temporary seats for NFL games. I think the only thing keeping Germany from getting NFL games right now is having a viable stadium in a major city.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Isn´t 55 000 a bit on the small side for Hertha? In their current stadium, which is beautifull, but at the same time horrible to watch a game, they allready get over 50 000 average. Would 75 000 be to ambitious for a city like Berlin?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I really liked this design. Not all clubs need stadiums to be pretensious landmarks, they just nedd stadiums to fill their needs in income.

·
the mitty
10,954 Posts
It will b either 250 meters or 22 kilometers away from Olympiastadion. Obviously, the closer option is preffered for a 55,000-capacity stadium.

The project was commissioned to Albert Speer + Partner, globally recognised architecture practice with the Qatar 2022 stadium master plan in their portfolio. In Berlin they analysed over 50 potential locations of a stadium, gradually reducing the number to the final shortlist of just two.

Option A, strongly indicated as the favourite, is remaining within the Olympiapark (below). Since Olympiastadion is off-limits as a historical monument, the proposal suggests a brand new football-specific stadium less than 250 meters east of it. This site is most likely to be accepted by Hertha fans, who have been considering Olympiapark as their home since 1963.

Option B is a quite remote location in Ludwigsfelde (below), 9 km south of Berlin city limits. That translates to 22 km south of Olympiastadion. While the Brandenburg Park offers great road and rail access, it's hardly the desire of Hertha supporters to move outside Berlin, based on previous surveys.

In both cases the goal is to deliver a 55,000-capacity stadium with steep double-tiered stands that bring fans as close to the field as possible. It would be entirely privately-founded in order to not put undue burden on taxpayers. This is hoped to boost Hertha's finances by providing a stable occupancy of over 90% of capacity, compared to 64% at Olympiastadion.

Hertha President Gegenbauer said: „Hertha BSC strongly believes, the Berlin federal government knows the necessity of a new stadium. Hertha should not be deprived of a future, just because a solution could not be found for a large, listed Stadium the club does not even own. The clear favourite is the Olympiapark, with its best and already present infrastructure."

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2017/03/berlin_heres_where_hertha_want_to_move

·
Rekordvizemeister
2,296 Posts
Isn´t 55 000 a bit on the small side for Hertha?
55 000 is a decent size, here are the attendances of the current season:

vs. Freiburg 41 700
Vs. Schalke 49 200
vs. Hamburg 57,700
vs. Cologne 60,600
vs. M'Gladbach 52,000
vs. Mainz 38,000
vs. Bremen 51,400
vs. Darmstadt 32,000
vs. Ingolstadt 33,400
vs. Bayern 75,000
vs. Frankfurt 43,400
vs. Dortmund 75,000

·
Rekordvizemeister
2,296 Posts
Is there any stumbling block for the Olympic stadium site?
No, I don't think so. The site is just a training pitch, the listed buildings and even the olympic hockey stadium stays untouched.

A stadium in the 1936 olympic park would be the cheapier, cause the infrastructure is already perfect.
The subway station and the massive commuter rail station (red crosses) are both in perfect conditions:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts