133 in Skyboxes

Lower tier (42 seating rows): 37.608 seats
32.085 regular seats at an average slope of 25,4 degrees
560 Box seats
563 Lounge seats (expandable to 743)
4.226 Business Seats
174 Wheelchair spaces

Infield:
Depending on the kind of stage built in the infield and the escape routes, up to 25.000 spectators can fill the infield.

http://www.olympiastadion-berlin.de/en/stadium-visitor-centre/facts-and-figures.html

Sorry but the Olympiastadion is much more classy !
To be fair, there isn't much out there that's as classy as the Olympiastadion.

·
Registered
335 Posts
man i love this !!! I agree with previous speaker, the olympiastadion in berlin ( wich should have its own thread) is by far the most elegant, epic and classy looking tracked stadium in the world. it shows what an incredible difference it makes to have a blue track and a white/grey surrounding. there are other stadiums with blue track, but it is usually to bright blue and still have redbrown surroundings which takes away from the overall elegance.

I know i nag about the blue tracks, but it really makes a huge difference and i think every athlethic stadium trying to look like the olympiastadion is a good thing.

·
Registered
25,422 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
yes ! :D finally this stadium got its own thread, i was just about to make one..

I agree that tracked stadiums usually sucks compared to rectangular stadiums, since when i judge stadiums i think of them in a field sport way ( football, soccer , rugby ). BUT the athletic track does bring a very elegant elipse shape to a stadium, and if done properly ( like this one ) a tracked stadium can get a monumental and epic feel that no rectangular stadium can match.

unfortunatley, most tracked stadiums have ugly redbrown tracks, ugly surroundings of the track and a bunch of fences and shit which gives an overall crappy apearance.

this stadium is so riddicolously perfect in every way as an athletic stadium. okay there are some things i can pick on, like the pillars in the upper tier ( which as explained earlier was necessary) and the un even spread of the walkways BUT:

the simple elegant collums of the exterior is perfect for the elipse of an atlethic stadium

as i stated a million times before, the track and its suroundins looke AWESOME simple and elegant.

the open end gives an awesome connection between interior and exterior, it breaks up the bowl which i like, a full bowl is usually quite boring. and it kinda reminds me of Qwest Field with a track and since Qwest is in my opinion the greatest stadium ever designed this is a good thing..

the seat colour looks great

the roof looks great

conclusion: BY FAR the best tracked stadium in the world !!! 10/10

·
Registered
25,422 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
i think it is a beautiful stadium but for the history it represents i believe it should be torn down, also i just cant quite understand that in todays excellent engineering times, that there are poles holding up the new roof that clearly obstructs many views

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
22,063 Posts
i think it is a beautiful stadium but for the history it represents i believe it should be torn down
Is that what you'd do to historic, brilliant buildings that represented humanitity, its history, its acheivements and its failures? This stadium is as much (if not more) about Jesse Owens as it is about Adolf Hitler, and this was the scene of one of the greatest blows to Hitler's ugly world views. He refused to shake hands with any athlete once it became clear he would have to shake hands with a black man. It was meant to be the scene of his greatest acheivement but he was humiliated by the German crowds taking to and cheering the black athletes inside. For that reason alone it should be kept.

Furthermore, what the Germans have done in rebuilding it is incredible. I suggest you go on one of the excellent tours of the stadium next time you're in Berlin. That will change your mind even if I can't.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i think it is a beautiful stadium but for the history it represents i believe it should be torn down, also i just cant quite understand that in todays excellent engineering times, that there are poles holding up the new roof that clearly obstructs many views
the olympiastadion in Berlin is a special case with very unique difficulties.

The stadium is under protection because of it's historic and architectural value, so not there were extremely strict regulations abot the modernisation.
The facade of the stadium was not allowed to be changed etc. The roof is very low and what's very important had to remain open at the one end, with the olympic stairs and torch. And exactly this gap in the roof on none end of the stadium is the main reason for the support pillars. Because of this gap a construction with a ring like in the new olympic stadium in London wasn't possible, since the ring couldn't be closed all the way around. Of course these pillars obstruct the views of some seats, but you have to keep in mind taht it's not a new stadium but a very old one instead, which has only been modernized. Look at other modernized stadia and their roofs and you'll most likely agree that the roof of this stadium is exceptionally well done and really great. And keeping in mind the major difficulties resulting from these special circumstances the solution with the support pillars is in fact a very good one.
It's a truely remarcable roof and construction. If it were a new stadium they would have done many things differently, but it's not it's an old classic stadium and keeping that in mind, it's still very much up to date in many aspects. The support pillars in this case are not really just a cheap solution or were avoidable. Any other solution without support pillars would have produced inaceptable architectural outcomes and changes to the overall stadium. closing the gap or supporting the roof wit steel cables support pillars or cables outside the stadium or whatever other possible way would have been absolutely inacceptable in terms of preserving an historic and architecturally important building or monument and the original character of the stadium.
Sadly even modern constructions and exellent modern engineering can not defy the good old plain and simple laws of physics and up to this day every successfull attempt to do so ended up being a disaster.

1 - 20 of 370 Posts