38,367 Posts
Quite old and dirty...
:eek:

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,367 Posts
DiggerD21 said:
It is Germany's oldest metro-system (opened 1902) and Berlin has currently no money to renovate all stations.
I know but it is a pitty because I love Berlin metro system!!
:(

·
Registered
511 Posts
sfgadv02 said:
Wow, grafitti everywhere!
There were actually very few grafittis in the pictures. You haven't seen the real messed up places. Here in Frankfurt for instance they scratching their tags into the train windows. There is hardly any train window left without it.

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
Looks pretty cool, a little grafitti never hurt anyone. Those trains look ancient but nice, how old are they???

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
Thanks cityskyscrapers for this pics. I also posted a lot pictures from Berlin metro last time.
You´re right, the stations are old and the most are dirty and Berlin has no money. Anyway they are doing a lot. For example they have renovated the half of the U5. Or they´re building the U55....
The problem here is that when a station is renovated it will be full of tags and graffiti on the next day.
But in all metros, trams and buses we will get cameras now, so there will be not so much scratching anymore.

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
DrJoe said:
Looks pretty cool, a little grafitti never hurt anyone. Those trains look ancient but nice, how old are they???
The trains on pic 2,3,11 are about 40 years
The trains on pic 1,4 are about 20 years also the train on pic 12
Then we have new trains(H-trains), about 5 years old.
And we will get new trains for the small-profile!(HK-trains) :)

·
Tax avoider
24,107 Posts
One trivial fact I know is that when Berlin was divided, one line belonging to West Berlin ran through East Berlin, though the trains didn't stop and the stations were guarded by East German soldiers...

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
CharlieP said:
One trivial fact I know is that when Berlin was divided, one line belonging to West Berlin ran through East Berlin, though the trains didn't stop and the stations were guarded by East German soldiers...
yes, the U6 and the U8!

·
Registered
20 Posts
other than the grafitti, it doesnt look too bad...

station entrances are funny...(pic #7)

I am assuming that there are new and modern looking stations in Berlin right?

·
kejje nagaan!
5,043 Posts
Nice pictures! Looking at these pictures, I hear the automatic women's voice calling "Zug nach Pankow...Einsteigen bitte!" again...:)

I love the Berlin U-bahn and S-bahn (I know, they are different) systems very much! Yes, much of it is old, just like the majority of the Paris and London networks. But it gives them a soul...I hated and liked the former DDR metro trains (picture #12) on line U2. Very simple shaped, as two motor-driven yellow containers with doors and windows in it on steel wheels and without anything you can call 'design'...Not to say very ugly! When I took the U2 and a train of this type showed up, I felt disappointed. But somehow I loved them.

Too bad you didn't take pictures of the S-bahn system. I think I love it even more than the U-bahn, because of the 1930's atmosphere, still present and visible on many stations.

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
yeah, I know them. These are the G-type metro trains. You´ll see them for the next 10 years in Berlin, they renovate these trains because they´re very young compared with trains on pic 2,3!

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
arashi_1987 said:
other than the grafitti, it doesnt look too bad...

station entrances are funny...(pic #7)

I am assuming that there are new and modern looking stations in Berlin right?
What´s so funny about this station in pic 7?? It´s one of the oldest in Berlin.

Of course there are lots of renovated stations. Look at this website!
www.untergrundbahn.de/bahnhoefe.htm :)

·
Enlightened user
5,782 Posts
I just love it!
It has an unique charm... the old stations and that ancient look! Fabulous! :D

They should clean the graffiti though. I went there last year, and the stations on line 8, were they were doing renovation works, were a mess.

1 - 20 of 1819 Posts