SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Berlin is getting a new highrise at Breitscheid-Platz, the center of the
western part of the city, right next to the famous Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche (Memorial Church)
and the recently built Zoofenster.

Current renderings:

Quelle: LANGHOF / KSP Jürgen Engel Architekten

(C) LANGHOF® und KSP Jürgen Engel Architekten

--------------------------------------------

Older visualization:

( Strabag Real Estate / Langhof Architekten)

The project is quite old - dating back to 1994, and it had numerous redesigns. Formerly, it was called "Atlas Tower".
Older designs can be viewed on the website of the architect Christoph Langhof.
Maybe the design will change again slightly.

Investor: Strabag Real Estate
Architect: Christoph Langhof
Use: not clear, probably multiuse
floorspace: 55000 m² (usable: 44.000 m²) + 9000 m² for the new 8 fl. socket building
costs: ca. 250 mio. €

----
Status (Oct 21, 2012):
- tenants are denounced and leave the building that ocuppies the area till November 1.
- demolition could start early 2013, at latest

Status (Nov 24, 2012):
- demolition of the old building occupying the site started in November ("Schimmelpfeng-Haus")
- probably finished in spring 2013, then the groundworks for the "Upper West Tower" start

·
LIBERTINED
46,541 Posts
^ It suffered from bombing and the urban warfare that maltreated most of Berlin in WW2.

After the war, parts of the church were torn down and a modern church was built next to it. The ruin was kept as a war memorial. You can read more about it there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_Wilhelm_Memorial_Church

Thank you for creating this thread, Wonderboy! :eek:kay: We should have more Berlin construction threads in the int. forums here, feel free to open additional ones.

I like the shape of the Atlas Tower. The new facade is classy too (if made of stone), but somehow I preferred the two-coloured earlier design. It could add more diversity to the cityscape there:

Source: Langhof Architects

·
Registered
669 Posts
demolition started and construction will start in spring 2013. the first 18 floors will be a "motel one" hotel, the rest offices
and on the top a skybar is planned. the ground floors will be shops. a new rendering was just released today.

(C) LANGHOF® und KSP Jürgen Engel Architekten

·
422 Posts
Big improvement for the "City-West" around Breitscheidplatz.
However...118 meters in hight is just a bit too small.
Looking at whats going on in Frankfurt and all around Europe, 150 m in such a prominent location would have been the least....

·
Premium member
7,458 Posts
Think this tower will be very shiny and glow in the sun.

Wish it was at least 150m high though. 118m is a bit tiny.

·
LIBERTINED
46,541 Posts
I think the podium building improved a lot. :)

That golden glimpse is pretty cool and brave. I hope it turns out to be of high quality, otherwise it might turn looking cheapish easily.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts