SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about Berlin, many people envision a modern, hip, gritty and sometimes quite ugly city. Picture galleries here on Skyscrapercity and elsewhere on the internet mostly portrait exactly that kind of image. So, many people, that haven't even visited Berlin yet, get the impression, that Berlin might have lost all of it's old architecture and charme during the war, afterwards or even that it never had any to begin with...
While it is definitely true, that the city has lost a great deal of it's stunning, old heritage, there is still a fair share left. Either luckily preserved through war and partition, beautifully restored or even perfectly reconstructed from scratch. In this thread I want us all to indulge in Berlin's (and immediate surrounding) historical splendor. You sometimes might even mistake it for Paris, Rome or Vienna... ;) Enjoy!

Here are some pictures, of what you can expect. In later posts I will from time to time give some detailed information about historical buildings as well.

Brandenburger Tor | Brandenburg Gate (8) by visitBerlin, on Flickr

Berlin_RoyalLibr_20120623_011214 by vinnewage, on Flickr

Berliner Dom / Berlin by Sebastian Warneke, on Flickr

Berliner, Dom That. by AJ Brustein, on Flickr

Bode Museum by DoNotLick, on Flickr

Bode-Museum, Berlin by d.dk, on Flickr

Berlijn, Slossbrücke, Duitsland 2012 by wally nelemans, on Flickr

Nikolaiviertel | Nikolai quarter by visitBerlin, on Flickr

Museumsinsel | Museum Island by visitBerlin, on Flickr

2012-10-10 10-13 Berlin 427 Unter den Linden, Deutsches Historisches Museum by Allie_Caulfield, on Flickr

Friedrichstrabe弗里德里希大街 by INTess, on Flickr

Berlin Schloss Charlottenburg by david.bank (www.david-bank.com), on Flickr

Picture Gallery, Sanssouci Palace, Potsdam, Sept 30.12 by carolhagino, on
Flickr

Berlijn Tiergarten, standbeeld Goëthe, Duitsland 2012 by wally nelemans, on Flickr

Belvedere by mr172, on Flickr

Bürgerpark in Pankow, Berlin by steffen.rentsch, on Flickr

Friedrichswerder Church by <ChristiaN/>, on Flickr

Berlin-688.jpg by J. Andrew Walker, on Flickr

Das ehemalige Reichskriegsgericht in Charlottenburg by Jonny__B_Kirchhain, on Flickr

Weihnachtlicher Kurfürstendamm | Kurfürstendamm at Christmas time (3) by visitBerlin, on Flickr

Das Märkische Ufer mit dem Ermelerhaus in Berlin Mitte by Jonny__B_Kirchhain, on Flickr

15 Großbeerenstraße by knutms2012, on Flickr

Fidicinstraße in Kreuzberg by Jonny__B_Kirchhain, on Flickr

DSCN1391 by SyndromeDeStendhal, on Flickr

Dancin´ in the Streetlights by SCH3LMISCH, on Flickr

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
Great intro, thanks a lot Tiaren! :eek:kay: Looking forward to a high-quality guided tour.

Berlin can be gritty-hip and classical-beautiful old European - all in the same street. The mindboggling contrasts are what make Berlin so fascinating and much more interesting than say Paris or even London.

Reactions: Tiaren

·
17,542 Posts

·
Urban Designer
1,155 Posts
The problem with Germany and Poland is you never know if an historic building you're admiring is authentic or made of fibre glass.

I think there is a real problem in conservation in those countries because once a historic building is lost, a replica can just be built. I prefer a conservation philosophy that results in cities where you know an old building is old, and when its lost, its lost for good - it makes genuine heritage more valuable.

·
17,542 Posts

·
17,542 Posts

·
17,542 Posts
The problem with Germany and Poland is you never know if an historic building you're admiring is authentic or made of fibre glass.

I think there is a real problem in conservation in those countries because once a historic building is lost, a replica can just be built. I prefer a conservation philosophy that results in cities where you know an old building is old, and when its lost, its lost for good - it makes genuine heritage more valuable.
I dont know even 5 reconstructions in Berlin since 1945... its all real, Berlin lost a lot, but other citys were reconstructing more. The City Palace is the first big reconstruction.

1 - 20 of 501 Posts