Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never told a joke about a skyscraper probably, but he was from round these parts... and now he's shuffled off to some other parts. Made me laugh a few times, insulted a lot more. Hero or villan?

·
10th February 2008
60,509 Posts
Never told a joke about a skyscraper probably, but he was from round these parts... and now he's shuffled off to some other parts. Made me laugh a few times, insulted a lot more. Hero or villan?
Both. Depending on your point of view. Never really found him that funny to be honest.

·
Clean-shaven and foolish
1,363 Posts
The guy was a dick. Naturally funny, but often very very unfunny.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
He was a bit like that other manc comedian (not just physically either) Les Dawson but with attitude!
I've been to his club a couple of times in the 70's and 80's and there was nary a dry seat in the house. There was always charras from all over the north in the parking lot, it was not a place for people of a timid or squeamish nature.

Sure he told jokes about all ethnic minorities (and majorities) but I'm sure he was'nt a so-called racist. Of course it was inevitable that some would be offended by this, but it became a big part of his act after his 'clean' TV days. So much so that it effectively ended his TV career but didn't harm his popularity and subsequent earning power.

I personally thought he overdid the red-neck, non-PC stuff but like a lot of todays performers he took the path of least resistance for the cheap laugh.

I've recently read of his immense (and mainly anonymous) generosity with various charities and that he treated some Asian families in his neighborhood with great kindness.

Some racist.:|

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Tributes pour in for Bernard

19/ 6/2007

TO his many friends Bernard Manning was both the undisputed king of comedy as well as being a prince among men.

Loved and reviled in equal measure for his politically incorrect humour, he also helped raise thousands for local charities and sports clubs and went out of his way to help people in Manchester – the city he loved.

Ricky Hatton first got to knew Bernard through their charity work together and said it was a privilege to regard him as “a friend.”

“I’ll never forget that day a couple of years ago when I went to visit him and he was sat in his underpants drinking a cup of tea,” Ricky told the M.E.N. from his training camp in Las Vegas where he is preparing for a fight against Jose Luis Castillo.

“He went upstairs and I thought that it must be to put some clothes on but when he came back down he was carrying his old underpants and wearing a new pair.

“He gave me the old pair which I put on and I don’t think that I’ve ever laughed as much as I did that afternoon.

“Bernard was a truly wonderful man who cared enormously about the people of Manchester and it was a true privilege to have known him.”

Comedian Frank Carson knew Bernard even before the pair got their first major break on the ITV talent show, The Comedians.

“The thing that you’ve got to remember about Bernard was that he would have a go at you regardless of who you were and it was never to be taken personally,” said Mr Carson.

“I took loads of abuse about being from Northern Ireland at a time when the British troops were being killed there but, because it was Bernard, I found it impossible to take offence “He was just a very funny man and, from a professional perspective, I’ve never known anyone with comic timing like him.”

=====

Bernard, the Hacienda star
WHILE music lovers are rightly celebrating 25 years of the Hacienda in Manchester this week they may have forgotten that the club wasn't always about amazing music.Indeed, on its opening night back in 1982, a certain Bernard Manning - yes, the renowned politically incorrect funnyman - was one of the star turns.

=====

and finally, in his own words....

"I was glad I managed to make it into my late 70s, but then there was always a very strong survival instinct in my family. I had an uncle who was still having sex at 74. Which was lucky, as he lived at Number 72.

It was also a contented end, which reminds me of another long-lived uncle, a bus driver who went peacefully in his sleep - not screaming like his passengers. "

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he's be the first person to say he was a fat **** as well...

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and if they can stop dropping that big fucking wheel anywhere they fucking like then it could fucking go there...

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
When I have made my millions I will be buying the plaza, at which point it will be demolished and replaced with 50m tall statues of Bernard Manning and Jeremy Beadle.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Think he's a legend for his charity work, comic timing and Manc-ness. His jokes belong to another era now, but he was a great singer/compere too.

A statue of him in his vest and grundies where the old Cromwell statue used to be (nr Cathederal) would be a fitting tribute.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts