SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Might be a building by squire and partners, though I'm not certain. Have a look at their website under residential new build and see if the site looks rights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here an interesting article on the development:
http://www.camdennewjournal.co.uk/120805/wn120805_02.htm

Brothels to become luxury flats

A HOME to prostitutes and sex shops for at least 50 years could be replaced by a multi-million pound development of shops and luxury apartments.
Berwick Street Properties Ltd has applied to knock down the buildings on the corner of Berwick Street and Peter Street.
It is the first development for the notorious block, bounded by Peter Street, Berwick Street, Broadwick Street and Wardour Street, that houses dozens of brothels, illegal sex shops and has long been seen as an area that was ripe for development. But the plan does not abide by the Mayor of London’s guidelines that 50 per cent of all new properties should be affordable accommodation.
John Dingle, from agents The London Planning Practice, said last night (Thursday): “The plan is to demolish the buildings and have shops in the basement and ground floor and 16 flats on the open market. No affordable housing is envisaged.”
If it gets the go-ahead from Westminster Council it will reach four stories on the corner of Peter Street and Berwick Street.
Mr Dingle said the buildings, which date from 1828, were dilapidated. He said: “I have been to part of one building in the daytime and it was very grotty.” The architects behind the scheme are Squire and Partners.
Bryan Burrough, the president of the Soho Society, gave a cautious welcome to the proposals. He said: “Obviously we welcome any new shops in the West End, but we would expect it to offer some affordable housing. It is against Westminster’s Unitary Development Plan and our planning guidelines.”
Developers hope work on the scheme can begin next year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The block is already taken down.

I am not a great fan of destroying what is left of pre-war London either but given what has been going on elsewhere in London these days I am kind of relieved about this development...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well no significant architectural loss then. They also kept the pink building in the second picture. Don't know though if and how it would be integrated into the new development.

·
Somnium Quinti
693 Posts
I live around the corner in Broadwick St and must say that I watched in complete disbelief at those houses being demolished. Everyday id pick up something at somerfield and another floor would be gone and I saw soho going with it. Soho is just gona eventualy turn into Covent Garden. So sad.

·
Futurist
38,421 Posts
I too will miss the character and feel of this area.

It was sleazy, but in a good way - it had real atmosphere and was very "London".

It's sad to see places blandified in this way (is blandified even a word?). Oh well. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
^^ Blandished? Blandificated?? Either way it's not a good direction to be headed :(
Sadly there's so much grotesque tat in Soho.

What are the chances of the likes of Kemp House and Ingestre Court going anytime soon? I think both these blocks are residential so they're unlikely to go soon?

I think the utterly hideous Kemp House is opposite this new development; can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
The replacement building is a S&P job. Fits in better with the 3 storey buildings next to it. The 2 storey buildings demolished were very poor. I suppose it improves the visual appearance at the expense of the urban gritty feel of the area.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Raymond Revunes substantial holdings in Soho now that he ain't no more.

http://www.squireandpartners.com/

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
In my honest opinion, the grottyness and dirtyness of Soho, is what makes it Soho! and thats something that I feel strongly should remain, Seedy Yes.. but full of character.

·
Trainee Apprentice MOD
7,884 Posts
Well no significant architectural loss then. They also kept the pink building in the second picture. Don't know though if and how it would be integrated into the new development.
Bollocks. It's a loss. You do realise that these buildings are what make London....not just the landmarks in between.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts