SkyscraperCity banner

What city is currently producing the best music? (multiple choice)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What city from the following list has the 'hottest' current music scene? Pick a particular genre, or give a general synopsis.

I included the big three, plus I added Halifax because I know it was active a few years ago (don't really know if it still is). Basically this is an excuse to talk about your favourite Canadian music.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
for starters....

I'm leaning towards Montreal at the moment. The Arcade Fire has got to be the best Canadian rock act in a long time, as far as I know. Throw in Sam Roberts, the Dears.... plus a bunch of others that are getting press, but I won't comment on them (haven't heard it yet... well, maybe I heard a Metric single)

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Winnipeg should be included.

·
Registered
136 Posts
you can't compare any music festival in Canada of any genre to MOntreal's Jazz festival... the sh*t is bananas - B-A-N-A-N-A-S...LOL

toronto's music scene is commercialized, but Toronto seems to attract all artists of any genre of music from every part of the country. cause of that, i gotta say Toronto.

but you gotta add Winnepeg to that list too

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I think Toronto for sure but Montreal for jazz.
Vancouver has a losy music scene.
I agree, Winnipeg should be on the listing as it has a great music scene and always has had.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
"I think Toronto for sure but Montreal for jazz. "

I think people just assume this because of their jazz fest (which is big and very good). But for an everyday jazz town in NA, Toronto is only second to NYC (which is the biggest jazz town in the world).

KGB

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes Winnipeg should be on there, they have a bigger scene than Vancouver.

But my vote goes for Montreal. I am a huge Arcade Fire fan. :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
This is really a two part question.

On The Scene
I think Vancouver has a great music scene. I think its probably the biggest Rock scene in Canada. So many bands have roling in resently we have had shows like Green Day, The Killers, Sum 41, Weezer, Oasis, Kasabian, Hot Hot Heat, Velvet Revolver and don't forget U2 used Vancouver to rehers their entire world tour. Even though im not a big fan of Nickelback they are one of Canada's most internationaly succseful groups and they are out of Vancouver.

On The Music
Vancouver has the best indie scene. Alot of good music comes from Montreal, but I have know idea why people keep mentioning Winnipeg nothing has come out of there since BTU.

·
Registered
44 Posts
crazyjoeda said:
This is really a two part question.

On The Scene
I think Vancouver has a great music scene. I think its probably the biggest Rock scene in Canada. So many bands have roling in resently we have had shows like Green Day, The Killers, Sum 41, Weezer, Oasis, Kasabian, Hot Hot Heat, Velvet Revolver and don't forget U2 used Vancouver to rehers their entire world tour. Even though im not a big fan of Nickelback they are one of Canada's most internationaly succseful groups and they are out of Vancouver.

On The Music
Vancouver has the best indie scene. Alot of good music comes from Montreal, but I have know idea why people keep mentioning Winnipeg nothing has come out of there since BTU.
1. Those bands go everywhere.
2. What are some Vancouver indie artists, I am drawing a blank. I honestly can't remember.:(

·
Registered
470 Posts
crazyjoeda, those are pretty crap-ass reasons... every city has concerts! Toronto just had Cold Play do their only NA show - it doesn't mean anything. Vancouver has a healthy live music scene but nowhere near Toronto or Montreal. Even Winnipeg has a better scene - especially indie rock.

Speaking of indie rock, Montreal has had a bit of an explosion recently with some excellent bands but before that the city was great but not excellent. Toronto has been strong for a fairly long time now. Also, bands like Metric are actually Toronto based. Emily Haines and James Shaw are Torontonians and have relocated to Toronto in '04. They lived in Montreal for a while but they are not a Montreal band (they also lived in NYC). The Stars also have strong ties with Toronto. But the best of the best is probably The Arcade Fire although Broken Social Scene and Death From Above 1979 are also wickedly awesome bands.

So I'm thinking Toronto has an edge in indie rock. I'm not too familiar with other genres so I'm not going to comment about them but I know that both Montreal and Toronto have produced some amazing DJs.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
It's very trendy to declare every nook and cranny in Canada "the next big scene"

But if it's a case of how much local talent, the "indie scene", the "established scene", any genre of music, who comes to play, who goes to see them, where they make money, the venues they play in, where they record, where the "industry" is....it's Toronto, and there's no way around it.

KGB

1 - 20 of 68 Posts