Votes: 6 0.9%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1497 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i knew that New-York would definitely win in the North-American best skyline. The Canadian one is way more trickier to decide, since Canada has a lot of good cities with strong skylines.
Please post your favourite city pictures ,thoughts and choice:
Toronto
Calgary
Vancouver
Montreal
Edmonton
Winnipeg

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Best Canadian skyline

Edmonton? Winnipeg? Really?

The best shot of the Peg I could find and it has less of a skyline then Bloor street in Toronto.
Taken by Guacamole Goalie on flickr.com

Edmonton, impressive for it's size but if you really don't want to vote for Toronto or Vancouver (obvious hands down winners) at least choose Calgary. Same size city but a skyline that far outweighs Edmonton's.

Taken by: rhrh on flickr.com

I can see why Montreal may get the odd vote, and why Calgary will get a hand full, but the realistic Best Canadian Skyline will go to Toronto or Vancouver for shear size scale and mass.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
I think Vancouver and Calgary have the most aesthetically pleasing skylines. They are both very neat and balanced. I like the glassiness of Vancouver because the glass makes it look like a newer, futuristic skyline.

But in terms of signature towers and scale, Toronto has to be the best skyline in Canada.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Toronto is so beautiful! I have a friend living there, in that city . . . he is not very amused about it, but he doesnt care about architecture. Anyway, it looks like a classic American city.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Rather than saying which is better than which, I'm just going to muse on the ones I like.

I've always liked Edmonton's skyline. It's quite striking when viewed from the south (Saskatchewan Drive, I think). It is nicely perched over the North Saskatchewan River. It dominates it's surroundings.

Hamilton's skyline has a similar effect, yet the opposite situation; it's tucked up against the escarpment. Driving down the escarpment on the 403, it's surprisingly dense. It looks very good from several angles.

Toronto's skyline is incredible. Not only is it dense and very tall, the CN Tower lends to it a special balance... a proportion not found in many cities (none that I can think of at the moment.... maybe Seattle). Not to mention that the skyline stretches incredibly far (depending on the angle).

There's something I like about every Canadian city, but I'm not going into too much detail.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's still heavily suburban, but they're working on it. There are also some nice 'Main Street' downtowns scattered through the city.

·
Member since Sept. 2004
582 Posts
I disagree with people who say vancouver's skyline is the best or the second best skyline in Canada. It's such a short skyline. There's only one semi tall building... It is dense but there's way too many buildings that all look the same (Yale town, west downtown, etc).

I'm not a huge fan of Toronto's skyline either, it is the tallest but not the best shape for me.

I really like Calgary's skyline. And for a population of only 1.1 million, it's got an outstanding skyline.

·
38,921 Posts
Toronto. It isn't as balanced or attractive as Montreal or Vancouver's skyline, but still comes out on top due to its scale. Once downtown Toronto fills in a great deal more, and the large swaths of unlovable blocks get redeveloped or obscured from view (the view east and north of Murano: eeekk!), Toronto's skyline will have few weak areas.

Toronto by a whisker.

·
Banned
2,300 Posts
I'm in doubt between Calgary, Toronto and Montreal. Toronto is the higher, but I think the CN Tower is lost there, because it's the unique really high structure in the landscape and the buildings are not as good as Calgary. It's not balanced. I don't like its shape. On the other hand, Montreal is the most elegant, but I think there don't have a impressive building that stands out in the skyline. Everything is in the same height, I think this is a negative point for Montreal. Looking to Calgary, it's impressive for its population and the buildings have really good quality. The negative point is that don't have a very high one that stands out there. Anyway, I like its shape. Vancouver has good shape, but I think it's fulled of glass residentials. Commercials are more attractive and they are lacking in Vancouver's one.

I think it goes to Calgary.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I see that Montreal skyline is underrated almost everywhere, perhaps because almost all of the photos that shows it are from the old port area, a view that doesn't show the real density and beauty of the skyline with it mix of new an old architecture, and diversity in buildings (circular, pyramidal, traingular, etc, glass, stone, etc). Also it is very well planned and balanced. The mountain and the river helps the skyline look so wonderful, especially at night with the light reflection.

Montreal skyline is probably not the most extensive, but in my opinion it is the most elegant and the densiest behind Toronto.

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
Toronto is definitely the best in terms of scale and height, so it would be my choice. But Calgary's skyline looks fantastic too.

1 - 20 of 1497 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.