SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which place do you feel is the best place to raise a family? Jacksonville Florida, Miami Florida, Tampa Florida?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Imo, all, like most places, are great spots to raise a family. You just have to value in what's most important to your particular family and how those aspects factor into each location.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Definitely not Miami. That city doesn't has the quality education (they don't even speak English down there), down to earth atmosphere and people friendly that a couple need to rasie a family. It will have to be a tossed between Tampa and Jacksonville. Jacksonville does has that southern charm and the people are more friendlier.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Tampa, just because I want people to move to Tampa. I think that Tampa has a lot to offer. I can not say anything about Jacksonville because I have not lived there.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Miami has decent schools, but you'll have to pay for most of them. BTW, why would a bilingual city be worse for child raising? I think it would be better. Still I would argue against Miami unless you have money. If you don't have money you will be living hopelessly far from the city in a big suburb. I don't really like suburbs for kids. They are really aren't as safe as people make them out to be.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
I think that I would say Orlando... All of the tourist traps amplify the things available to do with kids. Plus, I think that it would be easy to take trips involving kids from there, due to the central location, and cheap airline tickets.

·
10,564 Posts
tampamobster21 said:
Tampa, just because I want people to move to Tampa. I think that Tampa has a lot to offer. I can not say anything about Jacksonville because I have not lived there.
You mean you want people to move downtown, not in the suburbs. :)

Maxim98 said:
Jax is too Southern.
That can be a good thing sometimes for parents, other times not.

I'd have to say either Tampa or Jax. Hillsborough is one of the top school districts in the contry. Tampa may also have more attractions. However I think Jacksonville is cleaner.

·
Two-bit Hack
331 Posts
From a philosophical perspective, I'd probably raise a child in a place like Sebring. It's pretty, has lots of parks, the education system is decent, and it's crawling with old people. This sort of environment, in addition to being safe and very pleasant for you as parents, will encourage the children to achieve as much as they can so that they can get the hell out of the town and never come back.
The same could be achieved in a place like Palatka or Okeechobee, but of course you have to live there, too. Sebring is a nice area, and only an hour's drive from fun family things like Disney.
This sounds bizarre but it's actually what I think. Probably one of the reasons I'm still single.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
North Dakota - great schools, open spaces . . .

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ok, so no one gets mad at me, I was not trying to rag on anyone. (Dakotas actually have good schools and open spaces) The problem with a question like this is that there are so many variables that it cannot be answered. Are you Baptist, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Catholic, atheist, white, black, hispanic, asian, other, education, money, weather, do you like to surf, what sports or entertainment do you want. . .I mean, who knows?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jax is too Southern
This is what makes Jacksonville perfect to me: good weather, beautiful setting, plenty of positive developments happening, and plenty of good, Southern folks. :)

·
SoHo
1,039 Posts
Well they're all better than Juno, unless you appreciate really cold winters. :)

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
my parents plucked my butt out of Chicago and moved me to Daytona; what a culture shock: city vs. nothing.

But, I went to good public schools. From what I've seen, Daytona area schools are still pretty decent and crime isn't bad. But I resented it b/c it was so small.

Raise your kid in a big city for God's sake. And yes, I couldn't wait to get the hec out of town when I reached college age.
---
Miami is bad if you aren't familiar with the city. If you are, its great; reminds me a little of Chicago. Miami gets a bad rep unduly so. I've been all over Miami-Dade- stay out of Opa Locka and Carol City... But there's do-able neighborhoods off 836 near FIU. The obvious choices are too expensive, like the Gables, the Grove, Key Biscayne, etc...

Jax isn't bad; I've been to some of the neighborhoods off San Jose and the West side and Orange Park.

Tampa is cool--but I would live near downtown west on Kennedy and south towards MacDill- in that area. or on Davis Island if possible.

Broward is doable too, out near Plantation or Coral Springs or Pembroke. not familiar with the beaches neighborhoods.

Orlando-- it can work depending where you live-- but Orlando roads are no place to learn how to drive (actually, none of these big cities). there are some decent neighborhoods east, south, and north of downtown close-in. Winter Springs comes to mind also. Stay away from 436 (tough to do). Winter Park & College Park to the west are good if you can find the right place for the right price. Giant PUD's are an option also- if that's your bag...

·
Registered
289 Posts
okay, time to use your parenting skills.......

do you think the words southern folks and raising kids should even be in the same sentence when choosing the environment your child would be exposed to on a daily basis in todays world? Both the Tampa and Miami area I think would be a better place to raise your child than anywhere else in the south....both are very diverse communities and both offer amenities that are much more established than other communities right now such as the arts and music. The only hesitation I have about both areas, but more so in Miami, would be the school system....from current performance to the state mandated class size amendment and where they are going to store your child until they come up with enough room to meet these new requirements.

·
Registered
128 Posts
do you think the words southern folks and raising kids should even be in the same sentence when choosing the environment your child would be exposed to on a daily basis in todays world?
Please explain this obnoxious remark. Obviously, I was kidding by using the "folksy" expression. Sorry it was over your head. I do fail to see how being raised in the South is a bad thing - perhaps it might have taught you some manners, had you been so lucky. As for the schools, I would not advise sending children to government schools anywhere in America, so this is a non-issue for me. Go the private school route.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
biga1968 said:
Definitely not Miami. That city doesn't has the quality education (they don't even speak English down there), down to earth atmosphere and people friendly that a couple need to rasie a family. It will have to be a tossed between Tampa and Jacksonville. Jacksonville does has that southern charm and the people are more friendlier.
I understand you may not like miami, but to make a sterotypical and stupid remark like that, should cause you to get hit upside the head.

being raised in miami, has really taught me alot of things and although i want to move away now-i still think it would be a great place to raise kids;especially because of the bilinguality. and also to say that they're aren't any good schools what about coral reef, coral gables, palmetto, columbus, lourdes, pompano, lauderhill, carver there are tons of great middle and high schools most rated around the same level as schools in tampa and jacksonville.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts