SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the U.S. id say Seattle wins by a longshot, it's a major city and also has the beach, mountains etc. It's like a big city wrapped in nice scenery.

Denver, CO might just take second place, it's got just about everything a big-city can offer and you've got the rockies right next door, plus crisp sunny weather. The only problem is the downtown skyline is not nearly as developed as that of a really major city, the potential is there... they have already added a few skyscrapers, not sure if they are still working on more though. There is also no beach.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The Los Angeles metro.

Absolutely wonderful weather, beautiful and diverse scenery (mountains, pine trees, snow, deserts, palm trees, subtropical beaches), a hugely diverse population (the 2nd largest number of foreign-born residents in the world after NY), world-class restaurants, nightlife, shopping.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here are some LA area weather stats, just to show how nice the weather really is.

Santa Monica - Average Daily Highs (Celcius)
January - 18.2
July - 20.7

UCLA
January - 19.0
July - 24.8

Pasadena (home of Caltech and the Rose Parade)
January - 20.0
July - 31.6

And of course, all of those places are usually sunny and dry!

http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/grid.pl?gr=N34W118

Here are some immigration stats, highlighting the diversity

Total Foreign-Born Residents - 5.1 million

European Immigrants - 303,802
Asian Immigrants - 1,465,900
Immigrants from the Americas - 3,214,794

http://factfinder.census.gov/servle...000US&-format=&-_lang=en&-SubjectID=10076218:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Vancouver.
San Francisco
Seattle

basically NA west coast.

and Honolulu, not sure if its offers exciting city life though.

and some Japanese cities probably. Kobe comes to mind.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Los Angeles - Everything from 11,000 foot peaks to wonderful beaches and blazing hot desert, and of course, the LA metro has everything.

SF
Seatlle
Vancouver
SD,

Pretty much Californias big cities and the rest of the west coast for America.

Not to familiar with the rest of the world, so i will leave them alone.

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Oslo :D

With 2/3 of the city area beeing preserved forest, lots of beaches, islands, etc. 20 minutes on the metro will take you up to 500 meters, where there are a ski-resort, and hundreds of kilometers of cross-country tracks(or walkingpaths in the summer).

·
Whole Other Country
735 Posts
come here to Austin, Texas. if you want to know what outdoor city living all about.

·
Resurrected
24,400 Posts
I've been in Austin - great landscape really and so much nature. I like Texas anyway for it is for sure the most diverse state in climate and landscape. But I must confess - the city life was not that great. I heard for an American city it's a "hot" place and that's really true if you may look at all towns between Chicago and LA, but - and that's not an offence! - it's not compareable to European or South American cities of the same size, though I enjoyed the live music bars very much, a pity they were always empty :( But that was in spring 97, maybe wrong season or time...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Um..

Victoria BC
Vancouver BC
Seattle WA
Portland OR
San Francisco CA
Los Angeles CA
San Diego CA
Honolulu HI
Rio De Jeniero
Cape Town, SA
Hong Kong, HK

·
Banned
7,712 Posts
Nijmegen! Stunning green hills towards the South East; Airport (OK, in Germany but NL-owned and operated) plus one of the liveliest centers in the EU, huge cinemas and loads of clubs, bringing the new stuff. If you're into Middle of the Road, adult rock or so, it's NOT the place to be. Havana on the Rhine :laugh: welcomed Beck,Kid606 and so on before any other city in NL (or most other countries).
Nude beaches, probably more gay & lesbian activity than a human can possibly be engaged in, excellent bookstores and so on and so on.
Council tried to kick out the SUVs from the city. Shame, it should be tried another time. Open-air Biblemuseum, huge iceskating dome, Africa Museum. Smartest population -just by an inch above Utrecht and Leiden in terms of education.

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
London Metro. Well that would include the Chilterns and all the surronding countryside, along with the fantastic royal parks, Barnes Wetlands Centre. Biased? Yes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts