SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
Lost all it's credibility for me with the inclusion of Llandudno, Blackpool & Torquay in the top 10 best destinations in the UK!!

·
B*tch
15,107 Posts
Been to Torquay and was deeply disappointed - it's actually pretty run down around the shopping area. Looks pretty on postcards.

·
B*tch
15,107 Posts
Blackpool has big city infrastructure :eek: ;)

Haven't been to Blackpool in ages but didn't get a very nice impression when I last went - it's a poor town that is living in its former glory of a wealthy resort town popular with royalty.. sounds familiar? Yeah, because that's 80% of UK seaside towns.

·
Registered
26,218 Posts
Blackpool has big city infrastructure :eek: ;)

Haven't been to Blackpool in ages but didn't get a very nice impression when I last went - it's a poor town that is living in its former glory of a wealthy resort town popular with royalty.. sounds familiar? Yeah, because that's 80% of UK seaside towns.
I tend to agree, but I think Blackpool is trying to re-invent itself, it's obviously developed an image of stag nights and hen doos (as have many other seaside towns). Pleasure Beach (theme park) is expanding and improving all the time

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Blackpool is far from being an attractive place to visit, but I'd argue that it's twice as good of a place to visit now than it was 10 years ago. As mentioned, the trams are now more speedy and efficient. The Tower and the Tower World Centre below have been refurbished, with the inclusion of a Blackpool Dungeon. The renewed promenade is fantastic, taking away much of the battered image that the town has. The revamped Zoo and the surrounding parkland is a great day out in itself. And there are many other plans in the pipeline to improve the place, particularly the town centre. What Blackpool really needs is consolidation. The place is too spread out, and there are far too many streets full of rubbish B+B's. The airport also needs to regain momentum. It's suffered big time since Ryanair pulled out, as have many smaller UK commercial airports.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
Yes, but not popular enough to make it dominate that niche market. It's not really a Brighton yet.

I'd like to see Blackpool do more to develop the individual character of each of its districts. It's too big-a-town for each part to try and offer the same thing- essentially endless B&Bs, the same shops and the same type of cafes.

I'd also, without doubt, want to see the re-extension of the line from Blackpool South into the town centre. A new development on those car parks accompanied with a station would be very welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts