SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Banned
15,521 Posts

It's amazing the way that Noddy Holder has looked almost exactly the same for getting on for forty years.

·
Just something
8,865 Posts
Let battle begin......

http://www.everyhit.com/record.html

This should help although isn`t Liverpool in the Guiness `World Book of Records` for having the most number 1 music hits?

Let battle begin...... :runaway:

I`m a `Cilla Black` fan myself - she should never have tried to turn into Vera Lynn.

Cilla Black had a rawness that was quite unique in her day even if she has had a `lorra lorra lorra` laughs since Alfie.

·
Just something
8,865 Posts
Oh I don`t know,

Providing it`s about `popular` music where it comes from shouldn`t really matter.

Obviously a reminder of how some places generate certain types of music for what ever reason can be of great interest.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Sheffield?
As a % of the total, how many of their bands have been 'good' in their own genre? More than any of the other cities listed I think. (Not an issue of personal taste.. mine is uniformly bad)

Hopefully this one won't spin out into another wankfest.

actually, I think our potential future mod is correct.. perhaps a move?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gareth said:
I think Rudi knows exactly what he's trying to do with this thread.

I request it to be moved to the skybar!
Gareth I'm not tryin to spark Liverpool/Manchester friction if that's what you mean. Perhaps it should be moved to skybar cos its abit of a general topic - but I only posted it here becuase it's ar forum and it just interested me what people on er thought. For the record if theres one thing I like about Manchester its some of their music.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,677 Posts
Most of the big English cities make great music IMO but you can't debate anything like that here without it turning negative so I'd steer clear of it personally.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Pulp, ABC, the Human League, Heaven 17, Caberet Voltaire. Not bad - all with a pop sensibility.

Joe Cocker, and Def Leppard don't fit this pattern.

Then there was the band I tried to start up when I was at university in Sheffield: Saddam and the Husseins. They didn't get very far.

·
Registered
16,977 Posts
I think Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield all have their own distinctive traits in pop music, you can pick a Manchester or Manchester influenced band pretty easily, same with Liverpool.

Sheffield hit a very particular pop meets synth vibe and it's flourished. Very creative place Sheffield, not something it's Yorkshire/Notts./Derbys. neighbours are famous for.

Too subjective to highlight best etc.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Sheffield never really gets the credit its bands deserves, really.

It's maybe something to do with the history of electronic dancy pop thrills rather than the twangy, strummy stuff preferred by most music mags and the nerdy blokes who buy them.

More than that, you don't associate many of the Sheffield bands with the city.

Whereas some Liverpool bands have gone for a kind of mystic "dat music, it's come from them docks la, and the slaves and them steps and them monkeys", or whatever it was Lee Mavers would come out with, sort of attitude, the Sheffield pop sophisticates were always making out that they were transeuropean style gurus from somewhere between Berlin and Biarritz, rather than Intake.

Manc bands and journalist when writing about them are always quick to associate themselves with their city and to write about the place, often explicitly. Apart from Pulp's "Sheffield Sex City", is the place actually mentioned by its musicians?

Sheffield itself and its music cene has never seemed fashionable even when its bands have been. Strange.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
The only way you could even begin to get any sort of objectivity in this would be to poll, at random, 100 people in Californai to see what they have in their music collections!

I think if you take the Beatles out of the equation then Liverpool and Manchester are much the same with regards to quality and numbers etc.

Liverpool is pretty much off the radar now as far as the media community goes which makes it marginally harder to get recognised, but how many really good bands have we haad in the last 10 yers that have failed to be 'discovered'

As has been discussed loads of times on other threads Liverpool has to grow its new and integrated media business... but have we the talent if we get the opportunities?

·
Registered
16,977 Posts
Loads of great bands haven't made it through from Liverpool for ages. I see that as a strength in many ways we've had some great stuff that's missed the boat commercially as teh 7 year olds dive in to Pop Idol etc.

The Coral, Shack, Dead 60's, The Crescent, The Zutons and the effervecent Wiley are current examples and that's the tip of the iceberg.

Be interesting to know the score in other cities.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Awayo said:
Sheffield itself and its music cene has never seemed fashionable even when its bands have been. Strange.
That's the thing with me you see. When I'm not wallowing in all things Liverpool, I'm drifting through this spacey nirvana of the mind in which it's permanently 1984, the entire world is the colour of concrete, and I'm tramping my dockers across some brick-strewn Sheffield wasteground to a soundtrack of the Cabs' 'Nag Nag Nag' and Heaven 17's 'We Don't Need This Fascist Groove Thang'. Never fashionable, but always pushing the boundaries.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,677 Posts
Toadboy said:
Loads of great bands haven't made it through from Liverpool for ages. I see that as a strength in many ways we've had some great stuff that's missed the boat commercially as teh 7 year olds dive in to Pop Idol etc.

The Coral, Shack, Dead 60's, The Crescent, The Zutons and the effervecent Wiley are current examples and that's the tip of the iceberg.

Be interesting to know the score in other cities.
Ian McNabb is still making great music and The Little Flames are going on tour with the artic monkeys soon,here's a sample of a song of theirs,if that link sounds dodgy knock off the video to hear the track.Link and if The Aeroplanes don't make it I'll be gutted I love all of these songs have a listen,there debut single is out this week incidentally.Link

1 - 20 of 178 Posts