SkyscraperCity banner

Best Future Skyline

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 4848 Posts

·
Futurist
38,387 Posts
I have no doubt whatsoever that Manchester will have the best future skyline.

Half a dozen 150m+ buildings (one of them already u/c, and another starting in September) and a considerable number of new midrises.

In fact, I actually think Leeds could overtake Birmingham for 2nd place.

No offence but it seems like Birmingham is really starting to lag behind the other UK cities when it comes to proposals. I predict Arena Central will be chopped down in height to below 120m, or cancelled altogether.

·
Banned
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the moment, my vote would probably go to Manchester, but Birmingham has really come back strong these last couple of months and im gonna reserve my vote until the new AC masterplan is released. Liverpool would be my 3rd choice but they need a few more proposed. Glasgow 4th and then Leeds. :cheers:

Birmingham has just had another 120m tower proposed along our entertainment district.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
i'm still rifding on manchester, it's skyline will be much taller, this render doesn't include 2 100m + greengate (far right) and 3 100m+, 1 150+ at salford quays (middle):

SCROOLLLL>>>

·
Banned
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wjfox -Arena Central will be no smaller then HCT at 122m or whatever the height of the Richardson tower on Broad Street is. We shall soon find out when the masterplan is released, but although it would be nice to get one stand out tower, Ill quite happily accept the 2-3 100-120m+ towers. This located inbetween the Hyatt and Alpha towers with Richardsons a bit further up and HCT, Orion, John Bright, The Sentinels and the Cube all across the way this should make this area really, really dense. Then you have a couple 100m+ Paradise circus towers, 60m Peat House, 23 storey City Park Gate, 7 45-71m towers at Masshouse, 4-5, 15 to 25 storey glass towers at Martineu galleries, 60m Phase 1 Post & Mail office block, 90m Park Central Tower, 18 storey Belgrave middleway scheme, Snowhill Tower - masterplan soon, 2-3 Jewelleray Quarter towers 100-120m, submittion december this year, 90m 5 ways and 63m Edgbaston shopping redevelopment - Birmingham isnt exactly standing still.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The same Sheffield that has just refused planning for a 320ft tower? No chance.

Kids in the riot, the newer Greengate towers are both around 90m and I wouldn't bank on that version being built either.
There are another 3 dozen towers that would appear on that render. :cheers:

In early 2006, Manc will have 3 buildings over 130m under construction. Astonishing considering we've only had 3 over 90m for the past 30 years. :yes:

Chapel Wharf could be starting at the same time. 112m and 60m towers. Hardman Square will probably be submitted later this year, 40 storeys of office. Then Harbour City at Salford Quays(2x 74m,2x 94m) then Quay Point(3 towers over 100m, one upto 200m). Then....

·
5,923 Posts
I vote (predictably) for Glasgow. Here's why:

We dont have as many 100m+ towers planned or approved as brum or manc, but we do have a dedicated area for skyscrapers, of which we already have Elphinstone (134m) and Elmbank (107.5m) approved. The Hilton (72m) is already built. We also have (hopefully) THREE 170m towers (Glasgow waterfront towers by Dandara) kicking around that will possibly be officially announced very soon. All this height in one very compact area will give you easily the most interesting and dense cluster outside of London.

We are working on creating a montage, but the renders we have just now arent suitable, so the best one to show just now ONLY has Elphinstone Place in it. Remember Elmbank will be slightly back and to the left of Elphinstone, and the three 50 story towers would be sitting at the waterfront, 2 of the towers would be sitting either side of the Kingston bridge creating the most dramatic entry into a city possibly ever...

Here is the only good image we have at the moment - more to come soon...

Also we have a 27 story tower proposed just to the left of all of this, a 24 and 16 story approved about a quarter mile to the right of the pic.

So there you go. I think ours will be the best because it is nowhere near as spread out as manc or brum, both of which lack any real focal point IMO (this is more so for manc).

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Actually Glasgow could be the dark horse here, and Birmingham is showing more promise with some new towers recently proposed but in reality it has to be Manchester ..this is a city that likes to get things done.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
another manchester with greengate and quay point added:
i put an effect on it to make it look better:

all buildings added are 90m - 200m

·
Like 'Berg'
6,745 Posts
Manc has more proposals for talls, taller talls in plannin, U/C and Built already...

...At the same time, I don't think it can compete in skyline somehow (anymore).. Its just too spread out so hard to have a cluster, so I wouldn't say we'll have the best outside of london, just the best collection of skyscrapers IMO..

Brum or Liverpool will have the best cluster(s)

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Thats the problem. Manchester has lots of proposals but not in any particular place, too spread out really. At the moment it doesn't look like Birmingham. Liverpool and Leeds would naturally cluster buildings, so with enough developmetns these places could easily have a good skyline. Glasgow maybe, but too few developments at the moment to say.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,745 Posts
I just hope after Eastgate and Albany combined with 111 Picadilly, Picadilly Place and City tower/Portland Manchester gets this tighter core and from that work off to give a solid skyline..I think Manc will quickly get a cluster, its just a case of joining all these stragglers together (well most of em), I'm sure from the right angles the skyline will look fookin class cos that illusion is possible now with some shots so with these new towers.. I'm sure without a doubt Manchester will be the most impressive to be in (walkin around with all the towers about), don't think that can be argued really (oof cause some controversy!) :S

·
Like 'Berg'
6,745 Posts
At the same time it won't be Wigan.. As the only 'proposal' for a 18 storey tower was just someone (by the sounds of it) getting the wrong impression of the details of the shopping precinct under construction!!! (DOH!!)..

There is a 'boom' in Wigan at the moment, lots of old derelict buildings and empty houses biting the dust and being replaced, at the same time.. the tallest of them so far only seems to be about 4/5 storeys :(

But construction is at least a sign that the place is wanting to progress..n hey we just got a new 10m sculpture so, not all bad..

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Zim Flyer said:
It won't be Stoke, we only have one tall building and that is being demolished later this year.
I don't know...I'm overseeing a 2 storey Surestart building in Bentilee, a couple of 6 storey apartment buildings at the just mugs site in shelton and my uncle's house extension. Coming strongly from behind my friend ;)

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Thats the problem. Manchester has lots of proposals but not in any particular place, too spread out really. At the moment it doesn't look like Birmingham. Liverpool and Leeds would naturally cluster buildings, so with enough developmetns these places could easily have a good skyline. Glasgow maybe, but too few developments at the moment to say.

yeh :nuts:

Real spread out

1 - 20 of 4848 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.