Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between these communites which is your fav?

MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN
1.Shorewood
2.Whitefish Bay

CHICAGO,ILLINOIS
1.Evanston
2.Oak Park
3.Glencoe
4.Winnetka
5.Wilmette
6.Highland PK/ Lake Forest

DETROIT, MICHIGAN/ WINDSOR,ONTARIO
1.Grosse Pointe(City,Farms,Shores,Woods,Park)
2.Birmingham
3.Bloomfield Hills
4.Berkely / Pleasent Ridge / Hunington Woods
5.Grosse Ile (Island suburb)
6.Royal Oak
7 Ann Arbor
8.Saint Clair Beach, ON

CLEVELAND,OHIO
1.Avon Lake
2.Rocky River
3.Lakewood
4.Bay Village

·
King of Flyover Country
1,085 Posts
For Cleveland

1. Lakewood
2. Shaker Heights
3. Cleveland Heights
4. Rocky River
5. Bay Village/Brethnahl (same thing)
6. Chagrin Falls
7. Willoughby
8. East Cleveland/Euclid (for density)
9. Hudson
10. I dunno...Gates Mill

·
Registered
291 Posts
Detroit's suburbs are pretty amazing and most of the inner-ring ones are beginning to focus more on a truly urban agenda in terms of developments, i.e. Royal Oak, Ferndale, Birmingham, Southfield. The problem is, they're great at the expense of the city, however that too is changing as Detroit caters to their younger residents more and more. Oakland County, where most of those on the above list are located, is 4th wealthiest in the nation with populations over 1 million, behind New York, Santa Clara and Middlesex county in Mass.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Michigan City is not a suburb. It's still a separate city, though who knows for how long.

BTW, Grosse Ile has no place on this list. It's exurban at best. There's not much there besides old summer cottages (on the water) and large 50's-style houses (in the interior)

To me the top suburbs of Detroit are:

1. Ann Arbor - A progressive college town with a vibrant, historic commercial district and beautiful residential neighborhoods. There's a reason why this city is consistantly ranked one of the best places to live in America.
2. Dearborn - To me this city is the perfect suburb. You have the ethnic neighborhoods, the upscale neighborhoods, the dense, walkable commercial districts, the sprawling, wideopen office parks, highly reguarded public institutions, and industrial clout that few cities can match. Dearborn offers nearly every style of suburban living one could want.
3. Royal Oak - It may have become over-gentrified, but you can't deny that this is what J-Gov means when she refers to "Cool Cities". A lot of great things are happening in this city.
4. Southfield - It may not be historic or densely urban, but it has one of the most beautiful suburban skylines in the nation.
5. Hamtramck - Diversity, diversity, diversity. I don't know of any other suburb in the U.S. that could compare with the amount of diversity packed into this tiny 2 square mile enclave. It may not be as wealthy as some of the other suburbs, but it still has a great vibrancy in its own right.
6. The Grosse Pointes - Though there are actually five different cities that make up the Grosse Pointes, collectively they are the epitome of Old Money in Detroit. Beautiful Mansions line Lake St. Clair and vibrant commercial districts crisscross throughout.
7. Birmingham - Less hipster, more highclass. Birmingham has a mix of great upscale shopping, fine dining, and nightlife.
8. Pontiac - Though it has seen better days, Pontiac still has some of the best nightlife in the region. Great bars, clubs, and restaurants dot the downtown area. Though, I'm sure the fact that the city is in Oakland county has probably hindered a full-scale revival.
9. Wyandotte - A true working-class city with a great "small-town" feel. Probably the only city in suburban Detroit that supplies its residents with their own power, water, and cable services, it's no surprise that the hometown pride in this polish-enclave is evident.
10. Ferndale - One of Metro-Detroit's most progressive cities as well as the unofficial home to the regions gay community. Fashionable Ferndale has great neighborhoods and a vibrant commercial district along 9 Mile and Woodward.

Honorable Mentions: Ypsilanti, Mount Clemens, Plymouth, Northville, Bloomfield Hills, Trenton, Rochester, and Troy.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
hudkina said:
4. Southfield - It may not be historic or densely urban, but it has one of the most beautiful suburban skylines in the nation.
It certainly doesn't go back to colonial times, but Southfield is certainly important historically. The role that Hudson's had in developing Northland was a highly significant event in the evolution of suburban shopping and its effect on central cities across America.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Buffalo NY

Amherst - the village of williamsville is like Beverly Hills of WNY, very rich
Tonawanda - north of Kenmore south of the erie canal exit
North Tonawanda - north of tonawanda, north of the erie canal exit
Kenmore - between Buffalo and Tonawanda along the niagara river
Clarence - the most far east suburb, sprawllllllllllling
Lancaster - kinda like cheektowaga, north of cheektowaga and south of amherst.
Depew - more stores, houses, stores and houses
Cheektowaga - Malls, airport, houses...huge
West Seneca - I dunno much about this burb
Orchard Park - Buffalo Bills (Ralph Wilson) Stadium is here, nice homes
Lackawanna - Large Islamic population to the south of Buffalo
Hamburg - Small city to the south of Lackawanna houses Erie county fair grounds

*there are more that are not included

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
For Chicago, I'd say:

Evanston: true city in suburbia; true college town in suburbia. Grand old homes, real downtown, highly walkable, and sophisticated. Great lakefront open to the public. NU, one of the nation's top univerties. stellar public transportation. restaurant mecca for the North Shore, and beyond.and the right amount of density. the hybrid you create by crossing the city's North Side lakefront neighborhoods with the North Shore. a real sense of community and a sense of place

Oak Park: so much like Evanston in innumerable ways..it's the first suburb due west of the city where Evanston is first to the north. At one time, both suburbs had almost identical Marshall Field's. There are neighborhoods of older homes that, if you walk past them, you know you could only be in Evanston or Oak Park. All the historical architecture of FLW.

Lake Forest: just to see how the other half lives (which you'll never see with many houses hid well behind gates. Old, old $$$$, and lots of it. Beautiful LF College, home to Bears HQ at Halas Hall.Almost a New England feel to the ravine-lined streets and beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline. Classy downtown on Market Square, an early, early attempt to build a unified downtown district; they got it right

Highland Park: perhaps the definitive North Shore suburb. Lots of great shopping downtown. Concerts under the stars at Ravinia all summer long. Great lakefront. Could function equally well as a suburb of Tel Aviv, as it does as a suburb of Chicago.

Naperville, large and corporate-oriented (and thus a degree of transcience). Yet its core is a gem: a most walkable delight downtown along the DuPage River (with adjacent riverwalk), its shops and restaurants include the major pricey chains as well as individually owned stores...what a mix; and what a delightful way to spend the day.

Geneva and St. Charles: charm is alive and well along the beautiful banks of the Fox River.

Riverside: Frederick Lloyd Olmstead not only designed Central Park in Manhattan, but the village of Riveside, as well. It's curved streets integrated into the terrain, created a unique and inviting setting. the antidote to suburban sprawl.

Barrington Hills, Long Grove Inverness, etc.: a little too spread out, but spectacularly beautiful area. The hills are actual hills, by Chicago standards. Lots of natural prairie grass and huge required lot-sized with magnificent homes. This is the closest you'll come to Kentucky blue-grass country in Chicagoland.

Skokie: incredible diversity, rivaling the city in this department. Particularly large Asian community. A large community that is taking advantage of its close-in location to urbanize on a slightly lower scale than neighboring Evanston. Old Orchard.

Oak Brook: started as a planned community. Oppulent homes, but the star attraction is the nation's largest open air shopping center, Oakbrook Center, which manages to be inviting and attractive in a way that an encolosed mall never could be. Huge variety of stores and excellent restaurants (many part of Chicago's famed Lettuce Entertain You group)

Glencoe: great North Shore community; gets the nod here largely as home of the spectacular Chgo Botanic Gardens.

Winnetka: Glencoe's neighbor to the south. A most traditional North Shore suburb, with a downtown similiar to Highland Park's; famed New Trier High is in town.

Long Grove: 19th century farming village; today, the exclusive Long Grove area is centered around a village setting with well over 100 art galeries, antique shops, specialtity shops, restaurants, food services. Sure a lot of the ancient buildings have been surrounded by newer structures that try to mimic the old. But it works. The place exudes charm, enhanced when entered by a covered bridge. a thoroughly delightful place to spend the day

Glenview: Chicagoland's best example of a "new town", the Glen, resting in the middle of long established Glenview on land that used to be site of the Glenview Naval Air Station. Beautiful homes built for walking (porches in front, parking in back). Chicago style row houses (that go for over a $1,000,000. Town center that is much more a street than a shopping center (with terminal from air base as its centerpiece. Beautiful man made lake with phenominal rec center. The Glenn has its own Metra station. Hopefully a model for future suburban develoment.

We haven't heard from any of those great guys who are the Milwaukee forumers here. What do you say, fellows? I'd put the following on my list and wonder if you'd agree: Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, Cedarburg (a delightful trip to the past), Wauwatosa (Milw's answer to Schaumburg, although IMHO, much better), Waukesha.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
edsg25, your list is pretty good (although i take strong exception to the Barrington Hills, Long Grove, Inverness crap-o-rama), however, given some of the places you mentioned, park ridge also deserves a spot on your list.

btw, i can't believe that people are nominating places like lake forest and highland park as the best great lakes suburb. sure, they're nice enough in a crusty upper class kinda way, but a place like evanston is hundreds of times more interesting. how can anyone who has been to both evanston and lake forest walk away with the impression that lake forest is the superior of the two? i just don't get it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
edsg25 said:
We haven't heard from any of those great guys who are the Milwaukee forumers here. What do you say, fellows? I'd put the following on my list and wonder if you'd agree: Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, Cedarburg (a delightful trip to the past), Wauwatosa (Milw's answer to Schaumburg, although IMHO, much better), Waukesha.
I'll go along with Shorewood being one of the best but my favorite burb is West Allis.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts