SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that a decade is nearly passing since the boom, what would you say are some of the better buildings that have been constructed that you would say stand out in terms of architectural merit.

Here is my selection, in no particular order.

RoseBowl

Broadcasting Place

Clarence Dock

Bridgewater Place

Granary Wharf

Roberts Wharf

Parde & Drive - Urban Splash

Leeds Innovation Hub

Gateway

Echo

Generic Glass clad buildings

·
Ffestiniog
817 Posts
Here are my preferences in order (based on Wiggley's post)...

1) The Rosebowl is a very nice addition to Millenium Square. Clean lines, nice light materials, good quality. Sensible without being boring. Fits its surroundings very well. Big thumbs up from me.

2) Robert's Wharf - good quality mix of old and new; lots of character.

3) Granary Wharf - Interesting design, good water features, I love that pedestrian bridge and the wood-clad building!

4) Clarence Dock - Decent quality; nice water feature.

5) Hub building - Something different.

6) Generic glass clad buildings - Nice quality, clean lines, adds commercial character to the city centre.

7) Bridgewater Place - Big skyscraper; not over awed by the design, but it is a worthy addition to the skyline.

The others you have mentioned aren't bad. Broadcasting place is ok, fairly interesting. Parde and Drive, Echo, and Gateway are mediocre. Bit like Brewery Wharf.

I'm not keen on a lot of the huge apartment blocks alongside the canal and railway line. They look ok, but I don't think they are sustainable; not enough services or anything; could run into problems in future if they are filled with council tenants.

How about the train station? Wasn't that all renovated in the last 10 ish years? Very decent gateway that is capable of handling large numbers of people.

Over all Leeds has done pretty well and has built capacity for future growth.

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
By 'generic glass-clad buildings' you mean Prince's Exchange - probably the best looking office in Leeds.

·
Registered
30,474 Posts
I'd say the ones you mentioned but point Princes Exchange out in particular. I think City Point is good too:

City station is of note too, mainly the roof

·
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By 'generic glass-clad buildings' you mean Prince's Exchange - probably the best looking office in Leeds.
it is great, and looks great... but, it also looks quite similar to some of the newest standard out of town office parks - take all the ones at the white rose for instance.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Had a look at Granary Wharf yesterday. It's great. You can get a decent view of it from the path in front of the old Green Flag bulding.

·
BUND
4,045 Posts
When are places in Granary wharf coming up for rent?

I wouldnt mind investigating a place there, they are my faves anyway.

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
I think City Point is good too:
City station is of note too, mainly the roof
City Point is nice - I've had a couple of meetings inside it too and the standard of finish is excellent. I particularly like GVA Grimley's curvy meeting rooms and reception area on the first floor corner :)

City Station is good, but the beams could do with a bit of a clean from all the diesel fumes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts