Skyscraper City Forum banner

Best modern Southern Rock band?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A lot of people I know dislike traditional Southern Rock, Lynryd Skynryd, .38 special, Black Oak Arkansas, etc... but they appreciate newer Southern Rock bands like My Morning Jacket, Kings of Leon, Mofro... I was just wondering what you guys/gals think.

I'm sure I've failed to include some of your favorite bands, but these are my favs, and I don't live in the south, so that kind of prevents me from knowing local acts.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I voted My Morning Jacket. Not because they are close to my home state (Indiana), but I've seen them live (as well as the rest) and they just rocked! I do love the others, but MMJ just do it for me.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I need to keep up with some newer Southern Rock bands. Personally, I love the traditional stuff, with Lynyrd Skynyrd being on the top, when it comes to Southern Rock music. I will definitely have to check out the bands you mentioned.

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
Well friends. Um, Jump Little Children out of Charleston??? Or are they too old? How about the Connells out of Chapel Hill (mid 90s)?? I do like My Morning Jacket as well. I will vote for them.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
^ I think they have unfortunately passed their primacy, especially the Connells. I do like My Morning Jacket, but I'm quite fond of Kings of Leon.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just saw Lucero at the Westword music showcase thing here in Denver, I thought they were great. I didn't know they were southern. They went on right before Dinosaur Jr.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
They are all great. While I like Kings of Leon slightly better than the others listed, Drive-By Truckers are not only the best Southern Rock band but are probably the best rock band today. They are solid, evocative and the songs are just better structured than those of My Morning Jacket (I've seen them live and do really, really like them but they can tend to come across jam band, and that's not OK with me), Kings of Leon ( get the coolness vote), Lucero (from Memphis right?).

I'll be seeing Drive-By Truckers tomorrow night on Brown's Island here in RVA. It will be about the 4th time I've seen them. They are far and away more talented then any other band I've seen in years (Blond Redhead really surprised me live. While they are a NY band and not at all southern rock thus are not relevant to this topic, they come in second on my best "live show ever" list that I keep in my head.’

Sparkelhorse is another great southern (more gothic than rock, though about 1/4 of the songs do have a kick to them) band. Tulsa Drone, Iron and Wine too....

To those folks out in Denver, is there any more frontier gothic music being made out there. I am quite fond of 16 Horsepower and would like any leads on similar bands...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Widespread panic doesn't strike me as southern rock (neither do some of the bands that I listed. I know...)
As is the case with literature and spirits, the south produces the best music in the country..

Another good southern rock band (well half of their catalogue) is Richmond's Cracker.

I'm really enjoying Emotionalism by the Avett Brothers. NC has really been producing some great bands like Ryan Adams (his work with Whiskytown back when he live in Raleigh is amazing). Motel Lights is great. My favorite band, Sparklehorse, has moved to Asheville from Richmond (I'm a bit bitter but I’m dealing).

·
Registered
651 Posts
Widespread panic doesn't strike me as southern rock (neither do some of the bands that I listed. I know...)
As is the case with literature and spirits, the south produces the best music in the country..

Another good southern rock band (well half of their catalogue) is Richmond's Cracker.

I'm really enjoying Emotionalism by the Avett Brothers. NC has really been producing some great bands like Ryan Adams (his work with Whiskytown back when he live in Raleigh is amazing). Motel Lights is great. My favorite band, Sparklehorse, has moved to Asheville from Richmond (I'm a bit bitter but I’m dealing).

Yeah, I like the Avett Brothers new album as well. But four thieves gone is my favorite album!

Listen here:

http://http://www.amazon.com/Four-Thieves-Gone-Robbinsville-Sessions/dp/B000E0IDJ6/ref=sr_1_3/102-1571250-7727323?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1182735615&sr=1-3

·
Registered
754 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts