Votes: 25 23.4%
  • New Orleans

Votes: 32 29.9%
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Here come the warm jets
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a general look at music in the South. I realize that many different places in the South have had their turn as a music mecca, and that many different types of music have their own homes. Personally I gotta go with Athens because I'm most familiar with it's scene (and cause Of Montreal is BRINGIN IT), but just wondering what the consensus is.

·
Registered
483 Posts
While some cities get attention because of their recording industries or venues, a true music city gives birth to music... not merely records it. Maybe I'm biased, but New Orleans has its own sound, and any night of the week can be spent listening to live music in dozens of venues all over town. Even Bob Marley, a Jamaican native, credits New Orleans with influencing him in his creation of reggae music. Late at night, 870am in N.O. played the sound of New Orleans nightly, including calypso... it's signal reached Jamaica at night... and Bob Marley was listening. This is just one story among hundreds.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I went with Nashville on this one. I'm thinking culturally and economically here.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Of Montreal is from Athens? The latest record of theirs has been in constant rotation in my truck and on my ipod. I like it more than any thing I've bought since the Darkness One Way Ticket to Hell and Back. I didn't really care for their previous release but this one is beyond fantastic.

I say Austin. While NO is the most authentic, the sound there hasn't seemed to evolve in 50 years. Nashville 2nd but not for its crappy country scene.

·
UGA1
461 Posts
Atlanta with out a doubt. However, Athens is amazing. AthFest is going on right now which brings hundreds of bands to the city and thousands of people from across the country.

·
UGA1
461 Posts
I guess it all depends on what type of music because most of these cities have their on type.

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
I enjoy bands from around the Chapel Hill area. Just in terms of quantity and quality, though, I'm going with Athens/Atlanta. Most people don't realize Atlanta's contribution to New Wave music along with great bands such as Indigo Girls, Black Crows, et cetera. And everyone knows about Athens.

·
Here come the warm jets
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of Montreal is from Athens? The latest record of theirs has been in constant rotation in my truck and on my ipod. I like it more than any thing I've bought since the Darkness One Way Ticket to Hell and Back. I didn't really care for their previous release but this one is beyond fantastic.
Agreed! I need a lover with soul power!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I immediately thought of Nashville before I even saw the choices. It's well-known for its music scene. It's called "Music City," after all!

New Orleans is in second here. Well-known for its jazz, but I don't think most people associate New Orleans with music to the extent that they do Nashville.

What about Memphis and the blues? That would be my #3.

·
Skyscraper Guru
835 Posts
you know, after reading this, this is all just an opinion thread. i guess it matters what type of music you like as to what city you think is the music city of the south. both economically and historically, nashville takes it. i am looking beyond what type of music i like. i hate country music and like just about everything else, but i realize that nashville is music city usa.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree that it basically boils down to personal tastes and opinions, but honestly.....this one has to go to New Orleans. How can you even say music history, without saying New Orleans???? Historically it has been a trailblazzer for Jazz, Blues, Ragtime, Gospel, lol Rap. Thats why it basically depends on your cultural preferences. I mean Jazz or Country? Regardless, I just don't see the influence any other city in the south has had on the standards in music aside from New Orleans, save for maybe Memphis, which I think is more influential than Nashville.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I immediately thought of Nashville before I even saw the choices. It's well-known for its music scene. It's called "Music City," after all!

New Orleans is in second here. Well-known for its jazz, but I don't think most people associate New Orleans with music to the extent that they do Nashville.

What about Memphis and the blues? That would be my #3.
Your choices mirror mine perfectly. Great minds do think alike. :eek:kay:

·
Here come the warm jets
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree that it basically boils down to personal tastes and opinions, but honestly.....this one has to go to New Orleans. How can you even say music history, without saying New Orleans???? Historically it has been a trailblazzer for Jazz, Blues, Ragtime, Gospel, lol Rap. Thats why it basically depends on your cultural preferences. I mean Jazz or Country? Regardless, I just don't see the influence any other city in the south has had on the standards in music aside from New Orleans, save for maybe Memphis, which I think is more influential than Nashville.
I guess what i'm hearing (to some extent) is that nashville is the white music capital and new orleans the black

·
Registered
754 Posts
The live music capital of the world...Austin, TX!!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts