Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I initially told myself I wouldn't consider gradschool in NYC, but I may reconsider. If I were to get accepted to NYU and decided to go there, I'd have to up and move to The City....I've lived in other cities like ATL, Pittsburgh, St. Louis but of course nothing even close to NYC. What kinds of neighborhoods would you reccomend that are outside of the city but a good commutable distance ot like NYC?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I've heard that Brooklyn would be nice. That's where the "Cosby's" lived on the show....lol.

What makes Brooklyn good? I've never heard of Bedford Park or Park Slope.....what do y'all like about them?

·
18,484 Posts
Goldie84 said:
Yes, I've heard that Brooklyn would be nice. That's where the "Cosby's" lived on the show....lol.

What makes Brooklyn good? I've never heard of Bedford Park or Park Slope.....what do y'all like about them?
One of the things I like about Brooklyn is the aura and the culture. Yes Brooklyn is more laid back compared to Manhattan but it is still vibrant. The city has some nice classical architecture, parks, waterfront promenades and some really nice restaurants. The borough has some nice clubs as well. Also, don't forget the beach and Coney Island. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it safer compared to other boroughs? I am completely clueless....besides the Cosby Show, the only time I've ever heard about Brooklyn was in rap music. Oh, also there was a show that was a family show that was based in Brooklyn and used to come on I think Lifetime or TV Land or one of those channels.....

Is it safe? What's the cost of like a decent apartment there?

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
182 Posts
I work in real estate in Brooklyn--Williamsburg. Williamsburg is located on the "L" train stop in Brooklyn, from the first (the Bedford Ave L stop) to the fifth stop (the Montrose Ave L stop)--super convenient to the city. Just 4 freakin' minutes from the Bedford Ave L train stop. Williamsburg has consistently been the "hippest neighborhood in America" for the past several years--since about 2001, 2002. It is super hip, super young, very convenient to the city, and extremely laid-back in terms of the city overall. I've lived and worked in the neighborhood for 5 years. A studio or 1 bedroom near the Bedford L train stop will run you 1300-2500--prices near this stop have skyrocketed in the past couple years. If you go out near the second (Lorimer St) or third (Graham Ave) L train stops, the price for a studio/1 bedroom significantly drops, but not that much. You are looking at a 1 bedroom for about 1200-1400. Studios are rare, in general. You may also want to consider Greenpoint--just north of Williamsburg in Brooklyn. Greenpoint is very European, very hip, very dense, and very close to Manhattan. The only drawback is the subway running through Greenpoint is the "G line--which runs from Brooklyn to Queens ONLY."
You can transfer to the L train stop, just one stop over though. Seriously, Williamsburg/Greenpoint is the best 'hood for NYC newbies. The neighborhoods have a super "college campus" feel...you can email me if you want: [email protected] and I'll help you out finding a space.

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
182 Posts
mid-town said:
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn isn't safe at all. Park Slope is probably the best. Brooklyn has the highest poulation of all the boroughs.
Bed-Stuy is hit or miss overall. One street will be absolutely gorgeous, and full of brownstones (from the Cosby show...) and tall trees--just picture perfect. The next block will be full of drug addicts, "hos" workin' it, and vacant lots. Pretty unsafe overall...but expensive still, nontheless. Park Slope, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Ft Greene, Boerum Hill, Red Hook, Cobble Hill, and Brooklyn Heights/Dumbo are all being "hipster-fied," undergoing condominium building booms, and being crazy-gentrified (or post-gentrified)...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info you all. I'm still debating whether to apply to gradschool over there or not, but its nice to know that there are a couple of decent neighborhoods that are convenient. Also, I see the the prices are not THAT bad compared to prices for places in Manhattan and other areas. Still a few times more than what I am used to, but not that bad for The City.

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
182 Posts
WANCH said:
Besides Bedsty, I think Brownsville isn't safe as well.
Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, East New York, and Crown Heights (so-so) are by far the most "crime-prone" areas of Brooklyn. Bushwick was up there for a while--and is still not the best neighborhood, but has improved by far over the past few years. It is rivaling Williamsburg in its north and eastern areas for rent prices.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I LOVE tbat kind of housing....I bet it looks gorgeous over there!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
firmanhadi said:
Hey CHI, are you from the neighborhood? I thought I was going to be the only one who recommend Elmhurst in this thread :)

What do you like about Emhurst?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts