SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Northeast is known for its good universities/colleges and the towns that surround them. What are your favorite college towns in terms of amenities, collegial feel, urbanization, nightlife....

Here's a few that get my vote:
Cambridge, MA
Amherst, MA
Providence, RI
Ithaca, NY
Princeton, NJ
Annapolis, MD

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Princeton. However, with the the close association the northeast has with UVA, it might be appropriate to stretch geography a bit and include Charlottesville.

·
Registered
341 Posts
With 100+ institutions of higher ed, I say Boston. On a smaller scale, though I've never been there, Hamilton, NY, home of Colgate University, seems like a pleasant place. Colgate has an excellent geography dept, I wouldn't mind studying there! Geographers rule! :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
PHILLY!!!! We're practically an enormous college town. Hell, we have 81 colleges and universities in the metro. Over 20 of which, I believe are within a 10 minute drive of Center City.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
I bet you know which city I'm gonna pick. Cornell University and Ithaca College (and a community college in the burbs).

:)

·
Registered
644 Posts
In my humble opinion, I don't think major metropolitan cities should be considered for this discussion. Of course Boston, NYC, Philly, Bmore, and DC are going to all fit the bill for having great amenities and nightlife.

In my opinion two great collegetowns nearby this area are Towson, MD and Newark, DE

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I agree jayson about the city thing, although there are parts of town that I think should be considered. G'town IMO should be considered, it's very nice, as is Greenwich Village, and I don't know about the exact parts of Boston.

I think Amherst is really nice IMO, and if UVA is considered, it is south, but does have a lot of ties in the NE then it's up there and so is Princeton.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It's ehh. It's a good town, very college oriented, it's above average, doesn't have the urban lifestyle, it's secluded, but it's above average among the towns that revolve around the college.

·
Banned
160 Posts
James704 said:
With 100+ institutions of higher ed, I say Boston. On a smaller scale, though I've never been there, Hamilton, NY, home of Colgate University, seems like a pleasant place. Colgate has an excellent geography dept, I wouldn't mind studying there! Geographers rule! :)
I would have to cast a strong vote for Hamilton, NY and Colgate U. I went there for my law degree, so I'm a bit biased...

Other beautiful college towns would have to include: Princeton, NJ., Oxford, OH. (Miami U.), Geneseo, NY (SUNY Geneseo), Ithaca, NY (Cornell), and Annapolis, MD. (Naval Acad.).

The most beautiful campus in all of Canada (IMO), is McGill University in Montreal. I used to visit a buddy of mine who went there, and I was absolutely blown away. The girls there were soooo hot! And the campus was pretty nice too..lol

·
Banned
160 Posts
James704 said:
I didn't know there was a law school at Colgate, let alone one in Hamilton. :weird:
Well, there certainly was a department in the '70's. For some strange reason, they sought to do away with this course of study. When, I have no idea. Guess I haven't been paying attention much since I graduated.

Btw, the law school was at Colgate, (the school)--and Colgate (the school) is in Hamilton (NY)--(the town). Are we straight now?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Malo said:
Well, there certainly was a department in the '70's. For some strange reason, they sought to do away with this course of study. When, I have no idea. Guess I haven't been paying attention much since I graduated.

Btw, the law school was at Colgate, (the school)--and Colgate (the school) is in Hamilton (NY)--(the town). Are we straight now?
Strange. I wonder why Colgate did away with it's law faculty. I definitely wouldn't mind earning a JD there. Nice school/town.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^Sounds like a lot of Ithaca fans out there. From all the trash talking I hear from Cornell students, you would think it was the 7th circle of hell! I think they're mostly NYC people and Long Islanders who can't stand being more than a few miles away from 5th avenue. Personally I think it's a really nice place except for the bitter cold winters and the disproportionate amount of hippies. Also, it's been experiencing a growth spurt of late, bringing in more retail stores and services.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts