Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spent a long weekend in Charleston, SC last weekend from March 16th - 18th. What a city! Great weather too with temperatures in the 73 - 75 range and lots of sunshine. The entire peninsula area was just bustling with bicyclists and pedestrians, vibrant walkable neighborhoods, and amazing restaurants on every corner. Great place for an escape and to ditch the car!

Bonus! The art of Robert Lange Studios in Charleston!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Stunning pics!! I had never heard of this city before, it looks gorgeous. Does anybody know what life is like over there?? Thanks for sharing !!
While I have not lived in Charleston, I did grow up in nearby Savannah which has a very similar vibe and lifestyle and have visited Charleston numerous times so I can provide some insight. Both Charleston and Savannah have very walkable and historic urban cores with nice nearby beaches (be sure to check out my photos of Savannah, Georgia here https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1871689). The historic core of both cities are pretty gentrified and expensive to live in, but prices drop pretty dramatically the further you are from downtown (unless you live on one of the islands or on the beach). However, the areas outside downtown Charleston are pretty sprawling and suburban and definitely require a car to get around so it is a give and take depending on what kind of lifestyle you want (living in and around downtown will cost you more for housing, but it is possible to live car-free and get around on foot, while living out of downtown will require a car, but housing is cheaper). Charleston is one of the oldest cities in the US and much of the history has been preserved in the downtown area.

Summers are unbearably hot and humid, but Spring and Fall are very pleasant and even as late as November can be short and t-shirt weather. Lots of tourist go to Charleston and I would say the #1 industry is tourism there so be prepared for large crowds of tourists all time of the year that sometimes seem to outnumber locals. Charleston is well known for its history of religious tolerance. For example one of the oldest Jewish Synagogues in the US founded in 1749 is there as well as the oldest Unitarian Church in the South and oldest African American congregation. The city's skyline is dominated by church steeples giving it a very European look. No building can be taller than the numerous church steeples dominating the skyline. The city is more religious than most US cities, but pretty accepting and progressive as well (by Southern standards).

The culture is much more laid back and rush free than cities up North and most people will stop and talk to you in the streets or at the very least smile and say hello. Life is much slower paced and relaxed in Charleston. Locals can be found on almost every block on the wide porches sipping on sweet tea or a local brew just enjoying the moment without a care in the world. I was recently in Germany visiting my sister and had to get used to not smiling or saying hello to people as that is considered kind of weird and rude over there so it is definitely a uniquely Southern thing to smile and talk to random people on the streets. The city is constantly rated one of the friendliest in the world thanks to its Southern charm and friendliness of the natives. Jazz music is very popular there and there are several great jazz bars and dive bars playing Gullah influenced jazz and pop music. The College of Charleston is located right smack in downtown and really gives the city a youthful feel too. The historic district feels very refined and there is definitely money there either old money or recent transplants and retirees moving there with money. There are also several military bases and a rising tech sector as well there. The latter is bringing in new young professionals and Charleston has become one of the fastest growing cities in the nation as a result. IMO The biggest drawback to living in a place like Charleston (besides the Summer heat) is that it is surrounded by South Carolina and its politics. Outside of a few other gems like the City of Greenville, the state is not very progressive.

So if you are looking for a beautiful historic getaway where people are friendly and there is great food (especially seafood) to be found on every block I would definitely recommend you go there (and Savannah) in your lifetime! Just don't go between late May into September as the humidity and bugs are pretty much god awful that time of year!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.