Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
D & Y
98,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, poll like this from TripAdvisor usually doesn't mean anything but its still fun to hear when your city's park is number one on the list. :D

Best Parks In The World: TripAdvisor List Puts B.C.'s Stanley Park At Number 1

AFP/Relaxnews

Posted: 06/17/2014 2:02 pm EDT | Updated: 06/17/2014 4:59 pm EDT

A rainforest oasis in the middle of urban Vancouver has trumped U.S., Parisian and Spanish parks to be named the top park in the world by TripAdvisor users.

Stanley Park, the biggest in Vancouver and the third-biggest in North America at 400 hectares, took the top spot for its 500,000 ancient monolithic cedar, fir and hemlock trees, kilometers of hiking trails, historic landmarks and waterfront views in TripAdvisor’s second annual Top 25 Parks of the World list.

Activities include hiking, running, wildlife watching, inline skating, and biking, while the area is also home to Canada’s largest aquarium, water parks, miniature railways and tennis courts.

Stanley Park attracts about 8 million visitors every year.

“A mini-forest, beautiful gardens, totem poles and scenic walkways make this such a peaceful location,” wrote one fan.

Overall, the U.S. is the most represented taking eight of the top 25 spots, with the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs and New York’s Central Park rounding out the top three places. Garden of the Gods was also named the top park in the U.S..

Here are the top 10 parks in the world:
1. Stanley Park, Vancouver, Canada
2. Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
3. Central Park, New York City, USA
4. Millennium Park, Chicago, Illinois, USA
5. High Line, New York City, USA
6. Kings Park and Botanic Garden, Perth, Australia
7. Guell Park, Barcelona, Spain
8. Ibirapuera Park, Sao Paulo, Brazil
9. Retiro Park, Madrid, Spain
10. Luxembourg Gardens, Paris, France

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/06/17/best-parks-in-the-world-tripadvisor_n_5503939.html

·
Illuminati Leader
6,057 Posts
Stanley Park is definitely underrated and is one of the best in the world by far. I don't think Garden of the Gods should even be on the list. It looks more like a small national park than an urban park. I think Millennium Park in Chicago is great, especially when grouped with Grant Park. The High Line is overrated imo. Guell and Montjuic Parks were also disappointing and I preferred both Maria Luisa in Seville and Retiro in Madrid.

Golden Gate Park is way, way underrated. #14? That should be Top 3 imo. Balboa Park is also way lower than it should be. And Bryant Park is super small. I'm not sure why it's ranked so high. Another Northwest park that should have made the list: International Rose Test Garden in Portland.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
In the case of NYC and Chicago, you immediately see the problem with this list.

The list ranks Manhattan's Central Park and the High Line as top tier, and yet Brooklyn's Prospect Park is not mentioned. This is ironic, considering that Prospect Park is recognized as the most carefully planned and most integrated of all the civic parks of Olmstead and Vaux in NYC.

Then, there is the case of Millennium Park in Chicago -- cited as among the top in this list, when any native Chicagoan will tell you that the JEWEL of the Chicago Park System in the much bigger and much better integrated Lincoln Park.

The fault of this list is clear for these 2 cities: it is obviously based on TOURIST rankings, as opposed to efficient/effective planning and integration with the surrounding neighborhoods.

Clearly, more tourists visit Central Park, the High Line, and Millenium Park -- and relatively few of them ever venture out to Prospect Park in Brooklyn, or Lincoln Park in Chicago's North Side.

·
Illuminati Leader
6,057 Posts
In the case of NYC and Chicago, you immediately see the problem with this list.

The list ranks Manhattan's Central Park and the High Line as top tier, and yet Brooklyn's Prospect Park is not mentioned. This is ironic, considering that Prospect Park is recognized as the most carefully planned and most integrated of all the civic parks of Olmstead and Vaux in NYC.

Then, there is the case of Millennium Park in Chicago -- cited as among the top in this list, when any native Chicagoan will tell you that the JEWEL of the Chicago Park System in the much bigger and much better integrated Lincoln Park.

The fault of this list is clear for these 2 cities: it is obviously based on TOURIST rankings, as opposed to efficient/effective planning and integration with the surrounding neighborhoods.

Clearly, more tourists visit Central Park, the High Line, and Millenium Park -- and relatively few of them ever venture out to Prospect Park in Brooklyn, or Lincoln Park in Chicago's North Side.
I agree that Millennium Park alone isn't world-class but when paired with Grant Park is both large, unique and iconic (Cloud Gate, Crown Fountain, Buckingham Fountain). I went to Lincoln Park and walked from the Lincoln Statue, up to the zoo and then to the Arboretum. I found Millennium Park/Grant Park to be much more exciting and lively, and certainly had a much better view (though Lincoln had decent views of the Hancock Center). I can't comment on Prospect Park cause I've never been to Brooklyn (unless crossing most of the Brooklyn Bridge counts).

·
perthistan
7,031 Posts
Kings Park and Botanical Gardens, Perth, Australia
#6 on the list

Let me show you why it made the list:

Eastern View from Kings Park

Southern View from Kings Park

Overhead view of western tip of Kings Park

Treetop Walkway

DNA Tower

War Memorial

Kings Park Lights

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
As tpe mentioned, it's more a list of parks most visited by tripadvisor users than a list of best parks, but they all look very nice in any case.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I agree that Millennium Park alone isn't world-class but when paired with Grant Park is both large, unique and iconic (Cloud Gate, Crown Fountain, Buckingham Fountain). I went to Lincoln Park and walked from the Lincoln Statue, up to the zoo and then to the Arboretum. I found Millennium Park/Grant Park to be much more exciting and lively, and certainly had a much better view (though Lincoln had decent views of the Hancock Center). I can't comment on Prospect Park cause I've never been to Brooklyn (unless crossing most of the Brooklyn Bridge counts).
But that's the problem: parks are not supposed to be "exciting". After all, they are NOT theme parks. They are supposed to be places of rest and relaxation -- places where one can find nature and quiet in the middle of the city.

That being said, Lincoln Park is definitely more beautiful and "exciting". And it is also far larger than Millennium Park and Grant Park combined (larger than Central Park, to be exact -- you just scratched the southern tip.) This coupled with access to miles of lakefront beaches and walkways easily makes it THE Park of choice for the vast majority of Chicagoans.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
I was excited to go to Central Park, but I didn't jump around with a funny smile on my face when I was there.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Well I think Vondelpark in Amsterdam and Englischer Garten in Munich are better than Central Park.

·
Illuminati Leader
6,057 Posts
But that's the problem: parks are not supposed to be "exciting". After all, they are NOT theme parks. They are supposed to be places of rest and relaxation -- places where one can find nature and quiet in the middle of the city.

That being said, Lincoln Park is definitely more beautiful and "exciting". And it is also far larger than Millennium Park and Grant Park combined (larger than Central Park, to be exact -- you just scratched the southern tip.) This coupled with access to miles of lakefront beaches and walkways easily makes it THE Park of choice for the vast majority of Chicagoans.
Are they though? Relaxation can be found through many forms. Kids find relaxation in playing, not in meditating. Excitement is a form of relaxation for many. That's why people go to theme parks.

Southern tip is a bit much. I saw the entire Southern half unless you are adding a lot of parkland on Lake Shore Drive which are actually different parks. My little sister spent hours playing in Crown Fountain with other kids and likewise got very wet playing in Buckingham Fountain. She was bored in Lincoln Park and even the Zoo was just meh. My mother on the other hand enjoyed the Arboretum the most. So I think it's a bit over the top to say one's form of relaxation is worse just because it involves being excited.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts