SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am leaving school for good on Monday, WOO HOO:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
Yes I am very excited, and in July I am going to India:banana::banana::banana:
Also very excited and after I am looking for a part time job, however have no clue where to start. I would want the job in either Sutton Coldfield or the City centre (Leaning more towards the City Centre) working as a sales assistant in some sort of good well known cloths shop.

Threw August I want to work four times in the week, however from the 8th September I will be going to Six form and want to continue with the job, just on Saturdays if it is in the City Centre, and maybe Saturdays and an hour or two after Six form threw the week.

Can I do this, and do people know where I can look for jobs for a 16 year old, the only place I have got in touch with is Henleys.

So please can everyone help.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Well, you can go on shop websites and usually there is a link at the bottom of the page entitled something like "jobs" or "careers". Search around on the pages. However, not all vacancies are published and it is better to actually go looking in shop windows. Don't be surprised if you find nothing or very little!

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Only 20% of jobs are advertised, best thing to do is network or give companies a call, go see them take a CV and covering letter and one day they may call back as they like speculative approaches.

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
Also, as shown on apprentice and on here, make sure you do a spellcheck of your CV before you hand it in.

Thursday's Birmingham Mail has weekly jobs section which lists about 900ish jobs. More or less depending on week.

Also the Direct.gov job search is good, utilising the Job Centre's database but with better search features than the jobcentre website.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/LookingForWork/DG_10030134

·
Yep
3,815 Posts
I got a job off fish4jobs once - total shot in the dark, a complete punt, and it paid off.

Basically, try everything - newspapers, internet, and all the suggestions on this thread. Apply for a hundred different things - at least you should get a few interviews. First interviews can be nerve-jangling, so the practice will pay dividends.

·
Registered Abuser
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks everyone I will am going to try everything use lot have suggested.

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
www.monster.co.uk
www.mybirminghamjobs.co.uk

Also get the Birmingham Mail on thursdays as there are a fair few jobs in there.

I've done recruitment in a past life, so some other tips would be to read up on the employer you're going to apply for. Get some info on the company's history from their website.

When you do the application form, answer the questions on the computer as you can check your spellings first, and then fill the form out in pencil/photocopy it and get someone else to proofread it before doing it in ink.

I always deliver any job applications, CVs, covering letters in person. In a suit. It makes you stand out from the crowd, who send stuff through the post. It also gives you the opportunity to find out wher the employer is, and how long it will take to get there. When I did interviews, if people turned up even a minute late, I sent them home, even if they had an excuse. You should aim to arrive at the interview at least 15 minutes early.

When you go to the interview, make sure that your shoes are clean and you look smart / get a suit if you don't already have one. Take a pad and a decent (i.e. not a chewed bic!) pen with some pre-prepared questions on it, such as what will my career prospects be? and so on. When you meet your interviewer, look them in the eye, smile, and stick your hand out for a nice firm handshake. Shows self confidence.

Exactly the same applies if you go for an interview with a recruitment consultant. Remember, it is their job to sell you to an employer!

If you need anything else, let me know

Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
im not much older than you and i have an office job in the city centre its well easy just filing stuff, 6.50 an hour and is temp contract which finishes in sept. Its just the other side of snowhill on summer lane...would u be interested in that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts