Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this list at Project for Pubs Places site of their top city squares/plaza in NA. There list is pretty NYC centric but its not bad. What do you think is the best or some of the best city squares/plazas in the U.S.? How would you judge your own city's best plaza's or squares? Pictures would be appreciated if you got em:)

http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/december2005/us_canada_squares

1. Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA
2. Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY
3. Pioneer Courthouse Square, Portland, OR
4. Campus Martius, Detroit, MI
5. Union Square Park and Greenmarket, New York, NY
6. Bryant Park, New York, NY
7. Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA
8. Portsmouth Square, San Francisco
9. Washington Square, San Francisco
10. Square St. Louis, Montreal, Quebec
11. Squares of Savannah, GA
12. Washington Square Park, New York, NY

·
Registered
449 Posts
Union Square, NY is my clear favorite (if one also factors in the nearby Washington Square). Greenwich Village and NYU college atmosphere blend in in perfect harmony...

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
The fact that Indianapolis' Monument Circle is not mentioned tells me that very little consideration was given to small to medium sized cities. Only Savannah and Portland??

The Soldier's and Sailor's Monumnet (Monument Circle) is far and away one of America's urban gems.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
everyone knows about the ones in NY and LA, or Miami or chicago, or sf,
why dont we talk about some city plazas in cities people dont know much about?

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
How small and surrounded by buildings does a "square" have to be?

Millennium Park in Chicago is kind of square sized (super square actually), but it is open on two sides to Grant Park (although streets do separate it from the larger park). Does it constitute a "square"?

How about the combination of Commons and Public Gardens in Boston? I know they are bigger than block sized (a lot bigger), but they have some square-like attributes.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
The WTC plaza was on of the largest plazas in the US before 9/11.

·
6,467 Posts
It was also one of the more rightfully criticized plazas, too. It didn't work, at all.

BTW, this list is from 2005, I wonder if any more recent rankings exists? These things are so subjective, but great at starting conversation.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
The fact that Indianapolis' Monument Circle is not mentioned tells me that very little consideration was given to small to medium sized cities.
the curvature and density of the buildings that surround this large circle makes for an incredibly alluring sight. Indy has something unique: a circular street wall.

·
Downtown San Jose
1,445 Posts
What kind of a plaza are we talking about? A city square? Or a large district?

http://www.countryclubplaza.com/
I think this thread refers to a plaza in the traditional, literal sense and not in its modern, almost gimicky incarnation. A Plaza, like a Square, are public spaces surrounded on all four sides by multi-story buildings.

·
Banned
892 Posts
I think this thread refers to a plaza in the traditional, literal sense and not in its modern, almost gimicky incarnation. A Plaza, like a Square, are public spaces surrounded on all four sides by multi-story buildings.
Well that's the first time I've heard of the Plaza in KC being referred to as a gimick. I know what a traditional plaza is, and I know that's what we were discussing here, but the Country Club Plaza is far from a gimick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts