·
Registered
976 Posts
pffft

Ogrodzieniec Castle got robbed ;)

·
G%D $!TE A VV A R |)
243 Posts
Well its like this. The Roman Arena in Croatia was build by the Romans so despite the Parthenon being a temple of the Gods, I still think the Arena deserves first place. To me it somewhat resembles the Colosseaum in Rome only on a much smaller scale. I would rather see live gladiators slash the heads off charioteers than mythical Gods rain thunder bolts from a mountain top, but both are totally cool.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I'd switch 1 and 2 -- #2 is one of the most architecturally important structures of all times, and countless architectural schools of thought robbed its basic ideas. #1 is totally cool, but is a replica of something much grander and more important.

·
iMod
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
salvius said:
I'd switch 1 and 2 -- #2 is one of the most architecturally important structures of all times, and countless architectural schools of thought robbed its basic ideas. #1 is totally cool, but is a replica of something much grander and more important.
I agree. If it was a battle between The Roman Colisseaum, and The Parthenon, even then I would think about which one I would pick. So, the replica in Pela is not a match for the Parthenon, in my humble opinion.

I believe if people nominate the Acropolis, instead of just the Parthenon, it would've won hands down.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The Arena in Pula is NOT a replica. The romans built colloseums in a number of places and this one is close to 2000 years old. This one is in better condition than the one in Rome. Another one that survived is in northern Africa, while others sadly were pulled apart for re-use of building materials.

Salvius should go and check his facts before misleading people. Secondly, since when is Greece a part of Eastern Europe? Its southern Europe from what I was taught. The Parthenon doesnt belong in this poll so perhaps iMariah should go and learn a bit about geography? ;)

·
Monkey business
4,287 Posts
Astro, usually if you consider Greece Southern Europe, you have to put Montenegro, Albania and Croatia in it too..

Greece is in the Balkans, therefore can be represented here.

And here's a list of Roman Amphitheatres, as you can see, far more than just 3 survived:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphitheatre

Oh, and just so you know, only one ancient amphitheatre in the world has the privilege to be called a colosseum, and that's the Colosseum in Rome.

In my opinion, the Parthenon is much more important in terms of architecture and history than the Roman Arena in Pula, but the people have decided. By the way, I voted for both. :D

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
AstroBoy said:
The Arena in Pula is NOT a replica. The romans built colloseums in a number of places and this one is close to 2000 years old. This one is in better condition than the one in Rome. Another one that survived is in northern Africa, while others sadly were pulled apart for re-use of building materials.

Salvius should go and check his facts before misleading people. Secondly, since when is Greece a part of Eastern Europe? Its southern Europe from what I was taught. The Parthenon doesnt belong in this poll so perhaps iMariah should go and learn a bit about geography? ;)
Before you gallivant around and tell me to check on the facts, I would advise you to do the same.

Pula is the sixth largest preserved Roman amphitheatre. I don't know where you got the idea that only three have survived. Of course the Pula amphitheater is not an exact replica of the Flavian Amphitheatre AKA the Colosseum, it's smaller and in many ways plainer. Both were finished during the reign of Vespasian, although the Colosseum designs began earlier. They are both very similar to the common Roman amphitheater design, which is of course a design modified from the Greeks.

Between the two of them, the colosseum was grander and just plain more detailed, while Pula was always intended as a regional amphitheater. Because of this, and because it dates from almost exactly the same time, it is no surprise that it is plainer and smaller, and looks like a poorer version of the colosseum.

Parthenon, on the other hand, is the original (more of an 'original' than even the real Colosseum ever could be), a design that both Greeks and later Romans copied. The basic ideas of this architectural marvel have not only survived the fall of the Roman empire, but are with us to this day. As a result, Roman Arena in Pula should have taken a back seat to Parthenon in this poll.

Geographically, Greece is in one of the most eastern areas of Europe. So indeed, I would suggest a geography lesson. The only place where Greece could not be a part of EE is in a political realm.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.