SkyscraperCity banner

Best skyline in Baltics (in 10-15 years)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
99 Posts
Heh. Lithuanians will vote for Lithuania, Latvians for Riga and so on...
P.S. I think that you should ad some skyline renders for people who are not familiar with this region.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not so easy to answer. Give me some time to think ;)

I voted Riga. Why? Because Riga is the only one of them that can be considered a big city, IMO.
The tendencys is not good for Riga, but in 10-15 years it will stay the largest city in the Baltics, ofcourse.

One more interesting fact (just for your interest, i don't want to tell anything else by this):

but...

Source.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Calculating Riga metropolitan population just by inside the borders is not very wise - continuous built-up area extends now for many kilometres outside the formal city borders. And while the number of inhabitants inside Riga decreases, in suburban areas it increases fast.

Regarding highrises - I wouldn't guess. Riga is very conservative. Neighbours - not.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
^^Not surprising numbers at all. It's known to everybody that Lithuania stayed untouched by Soviet immigrants.

But I'd like to know what those numbers represent. Are those populations by city proper, metropolitan area? Because Tallinn+suburbs is around 460-470 thousand people.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's really hard to make a decision while knowing just the number of the population in each of the cities. So i would like to ask that somebody from Tallinn and Riga would add some visualizations of their future skylines (i mean near future, not the year 3000).

I'll give something for Vilnius. I think this will allow to compare the perspectives. More or less but this will help, because now it's more like a guess.

So this is the future of Vilnius skyline:

I won't vote until i have an ability to decide and i need to compare something for this. I don't want everything to get something like that:
Heh. Lithuanians will vote for Lithuania, Latvians for Riga and so on...

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Three years ago i would definitely say that Riga - but now, when I see how many projects are announced and how few are happening - really don't have clue.

There are some secret weapons for Riga to be played in order to become more important centre and some bad tendencies which turn it down (current overheating of economy, bad demography). Current 1,1 mio people in Riga metro will require... may be some 10 high-end highrises in central district and some 40 mid-quality highrises in other areas.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Well then, yeah, Vilnius might have a hell of a skyline. The thing with Tallinn is that to build new highrises in the centre, you have to demolish a lot of houses. And it already seems to me that Tallinn will have many smaller skylines instead of one big.

·
always on
4,759 Posts
Well then, yeah, Vilnius might have a hell of a skyline. The thing with Tallinn is that to build new highrises in the centre, you have to demolish a lot of houses. And it already seems to me that Tallinn will have many smaller skylines instead of one big.
yes but our one big central one will still be extremely impressive!

·
Ta☼
3,479 Posts

Green: already built.
Blue: UC
Orange: proposed (technical project ongoing)
Grey: visions, but within allowed hight.
wow that looks very cool, go Vilnius:cheers: !

1 - 20 of 68 Posts