SkyscraperCity banner

Best skyline in Baltics (in 10-15 years)

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
I Love Ice
2,156 Posts
I think honestly that there will be no major difference between Tallinn, Vilnius and Riga in terms of "most stunning skyline". The direction taken is pretty much the same and if all goes smoothly in 15-20 years Baltic capitals from distance will look spot on:) :cheers:

·
Banned
642 Posts
As for the future skyline of the baltic... It's truly very difficult to forecast. But I don't think it is going to be Klaipeda or Tallinn because of the small population. Riga has a very good geographical position to become a centre of the baltics and a higher population, but Vilnius is doing very well and is the capital of the biggest country in the baltics. If the birth rate in all three baltic countries will be about the same (what I think is going to be) then the leader of the baltic capitals in terms of pupulation growth should become Vilnius. Which should be caused mainly by returning emigrants and inside migrantion. Of course the country imigration policy will also influence the population. But who is starting to imigrate first to our countries? They are belarusians, ukrainians and russians. Because of already a very big minority in Latvia and Estonia it would be very risky to allow these emigrants to these 2 baltic countries. Risky because it would be very difficult for them to integrate when there would not be necessity to learn language or to send their childreans to estonian/latvian schools. This problem is also a subject in Lithuania, but I don't think it is that big as in Latvia and Estonia. Of course population itself alone can not make a city a future skyline capital, but I think it will be a key role. So my forecast for the best future skyline is for either Vilnius or Riga.

·
always on
4,762 Posts
As for the future skyline of the baltic... It's truly very difficult to forecast. But I don't think it is going to be Klaipeda or Tallinn because of the small population. Riga has a very good geographical position to become a centre of the baltics and a higher population, but Vilnius is doing very well and is the capital of the biggest country in the baltics. If the birth rate in all three baltic countries will be about the same (what I think is going to be) then the leader of the baltic capitals in terms of pupulation growth should become Vilnius. Which should be caused mainly by returning emigrants and inside migrantion. Of course the country imigration policy will also influence the population. But who is starting to imigrate first to our countries? They are belarusians, ukrainians and russians. Because of already a very big minority in Latvia and Estonia it would be very risky to allow these emigrants to these 2 baltic countries. Risky because it would be very difficult for them to integrate when there would not be necessity to learn language or to send their childreans to estonian/latvian schools. This problem is also a subject in Lithuania, but I don't think it is that big as in Latvia and Estonia. Of course population itself alone can not make a city a future skyline capital, but I think it will be a key role. So my forecast for the best future skyline is for either Vilnius or Riga.
skylines dont have alot to do with population unless the area is tiny or inaccessible, noone is going to build highrises (nice glassy ones) for immigrants! Its about business potential, location (your much more likely to get a highrise near water then inland), officespace etc.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Some visualizations from future Riga which I saw some 1,5 years ago in Riga Council entrance-hall.

1. This is more of "desirable" version, only some of them are real projects now. Between them isn't the highest building which you can see not far from Saules Akmens. But it was planned in that place could be 50-floor building.

2. Maybe this is closer to reality version, although there you can't see Z-TOwers, which is already U/C now.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I prefer to refrain from voting because it's very hard to forcast, what would be these future skylines. However one thing is clear - Riga and Klaipeda have greater potential because Vilnius and Tallin already have their clusters.

·
Banned
642 Posts
skylines dont have alot to do with population unless the area is tiny or inaccessible, noone is going to build highrises (nice glassy ones) for immigrants! Its about business potential, location (your much more likely to get a highrise near water then inland), officespace etc.
I agree that noone is going to build a highrises for imigrants, but imigrants will create a bigger business potential, which according to you is a main point. But it's not about imigrants, it's about population it self. I think it has to do a lot with a highrises, cause in Vilnius for example highrises are not being build because of tiny or inaccesible places, but because of the need for the office space for business. The bigger population- the more bussines- the bigger necessity for office space, it just not always skyscrapers are being build to satisfy office demand.

·
Banned
642 Posts
If Berlin does not have a skyline it doesn't mean they cant have it. It just their policy and decision to build a lowrise or highrise office buildings. But a small city could not have skyline, even if it they would want to, because there's no need for office space. Anyway, of course there's always an exception, but they are very rare and we should not forecast future baltic skyline capital taking those exceptions as a rule.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
^^It's not about policy in Berlin. It's about the lack of need. Berlin has about 3,5 million people, but it still doesn't need highrises. Real estate prices in Berlin are about the same as in Tallinn. Size doesn't matter. Of course a very small city can't have a huge skyline, but size isn't as important as you think. Or if you think so, then Riga should have the biggest skyline and end of story?

·
Banned
642 Posts
So what you're saying is that Berlin does not have an office buildings? And if they have than I guess it means it is their policy to have them as a lowrise. I'm not saying that larger population is the only one factor, there are lots of other factors, but I think it is one of the main factors. As for the baltics, I think that lots of factors are about the same: we all regained independence, we all did not have an office space and this was a cause of office boom in baltics. Tallinn was the first with its skyline, then Vilnius and I think it should be about the time for Riga. Unless they will choose to build an lowrise office buildings. Cause situation is about the same in all our countries, and I don't think that Tallinn would have a great office demand and Riga would not.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Yeah, that's true, Riga is hungry for office space, but only in last years the satisfaction of this demand is really started. But it's not highrises in most cases because here is very strict policy (like in Scandinavian countrys) against high-rises close to historical centre, where investors wants to build them. Thereby tendency is to build large but 5-6 floor high office buildings.

·
Registered
153 Posts
riga has lots of bombholes from world war. if i have to choose one high-rise to kipsala or 5-6 six storey lowrises into those holes, i'll choose the last opportunity. urbanistic wholeness is a thing that integrates city. and riga has potential to become a real CITY!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Of course there is demand for office space in Tallinn, but most of the offices are built a bit away from the center now, which is quite obvius: In the centre there are problems with parking, traffic jams etc + there just isn't free space in the centre any more.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Riga is not a big city IMHO - really. At least it is relative - in China Riga populationwise would be considered to be a provincial town. For Europe it is somewhere on the border between European level metropolis and something smaller.

I consider that GaWC ranking helps in definition of large/small cities - but their latest estimate was made in 2004, when Baltic cities were less important than now... if that increase of importance is noticeable by GaWC team.

Some interesting insights into Riga as larger centre:
http://www2.fmg.uva.nl/acre/case-studies/riga.html

May be Riga or any other Baltic city will never manage to get on this list:
http://www.mastercard.com/us/company/en/wcoc/pdf/index_2007_us.pdf

None of the Baltic cities is much visible on world scale. But Riga is slightly more visible than others now IMHO.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Hmmm.. It's hard to say - Riga is "big" or not. Point of reference usually is 1 million people - if city has such population, it is "big", if hasn't, it isn't. Then Riga isn't. But on the other hand it is actually bigger than some cities we consider as "big" - for example, Frankfurt am Main (only 659 928 in city limits), Sevilla (704 414), Copenhagen (503 699), Manchester (452 000) etc. Ok, I know these cities have much larger urban areas but anyway... Food for thought.

·
DoM
928 Posts
Population, business... are important of course but when we talk about skylines IMHO the most important factor is city planning rules. That's why I'm voting for Klaipeda. This city will have the best skyline at least in Lithuania. Much bigger part of residential/office space in Klaipeda is being built in the form of high-rises than in any other Baltic city. While for example Vilnius plans more and more lowrise quartals/buildings. Buildings in "NCC" of Vilnius are going to be too short and massive to form impressive skyline. I'm not so sure about Riga and Tallinn though but still I think that Klaipeda might lead in this sphere. Anyway, I must admit that it's very hard to guess how everything will look like in the future in this sphere. I think that it's much easier to guess which city will have the biggest population growth in comming 10 years (Vilnius) (and in some more years maybe it has chances to become the biggest in the Baltics), which city will be the most important economically in comming 10 years (Riga) and similar things. :)

21 - 40 of 68 Posts