SkyscraperCity banner

Best skyline in Baltics (in 10-15 years)

• Total voters
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
DoM
928 Posts
Difference between "Vilnius city mun." and "Riga city under state jurisdiction":
2001 - 202346,00
2002 - 193784,00
2003 - 186000,00
2004 - 182441,00
2005 - 178701,00
2006 - 174025,00
2007 - 168076,00

On average at this period (2001-2007) population difference each year decreases by 5711,67. If such tendencies will continue in 2018/2019 (after 11-12 years) the difference will be about ~100 000. And after 30 years (2037) "Vilnius city mun." will be bigger than "Riga city under state jurisdiction".

Of course I admit that these calculations might mean nothing.

As for natural growth, situation is not really getting only better and better in Vilnius. Whatever posted information that there were more newborn babies in 2006 but he forgot to look at death numbers (also increased). ;)

·
Citizen of heavenly city!
513 Posts
Birth rates have little to do with skyline growth, if we wouldn't build a human skyline, would we :D? It'd only affect a possibility to build one. But those dreams of future skyline are based on hopes that current economic situation would last for at least 10 years on. But if we read economic news, then it doesn't take a genius to realize that these hopes are commonly built on air. Latvias economy is overheating already and situation is not quite better in Estonia as well(rating agencies are lowering Latvias rates and Estonias rates are in great risk). And if we take a look at international economical health, then it's obvious that world economy is entering a very difficult period(rising oil prices and tense political situation and real estate markets collapse threats etc). So I'm not very optimistic about "everlasting" loan based economy boom. It is probably about to end in near future, simple as that. It wouldn't surprise me if many of already started projects will be on hold soon.

·
Lurking
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
kKKK???!

Birth rates have little to do with skyline growth, if we wouldn't build a human skyline, would we ? It'd only affect a possibility to build one. But those dreams of future skyline are based on hopes that current economic situation would last for at least 10 years on. But if we read economic news, then it doesn't take a genius to realize that these hopes are commonly built on air. Latvias economy is overheating already and situation is not quite better in Estonia as well(rating agencies are lowering Latvias rates and Estonias rates are in great risk). And if we take a look at international economical health, then it's obvious that world economy is entering a very difficult period(rising oil prices and tense political situation and real estate markets collapse threats etc). So I'm not very optimistic about "everlasting" loan based economy boom. It is probably about to end in near future, simple as that. It wouldn't surprise me if many of already started projects will be on hold soon.
^^ ^^ ^^^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
That somehow gets me nervous. Already Da Vinci is on hold and Z-towers are too, but probality that they're(Z-towers) are going to be completely on hold is low.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
As for natural growth, situation is not really getting only better and better in Vilnius. Whatever posted information that there were more newborn babies in 2006 but he forgot to look at death numbers (also increased). ;)
Let them oldies die for all i care, i meant what i said - birthrates are rising rather quickly after many years of steady decline and i'm sure well have a positive natural growth in coming few years

·
Lurking
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Is it just me or this thread is dead?:deadthrea

·
DoM
928 Posts
Dompcz said:
I think that it's much easier to guess which city will have the biggest population growth in comming 10 years (Vilnius) :)
I think people should stop pulling ideas out of their asses :I
Oh here, ill do it too:
Look at Lithuania, 3 big cities, Klaipeda, Kaunas and Vilnius... you really think this situation is comparable with Estonia and Latvia where there is really ONE city....? Dont you see there will be huge competition between the three cities in Lithuania, with all drawing some population, the way I see it - Vilnius has the least growth potential..
It's interesting to read old comments which contain future predictions.

Back then, in 2007 when these comments were written population difference between Riga and Vilnius was 160 829, today the difference is only 65 651.

2007:
Riga:
702 561

Vilnius:
541 732

2020:
Riga:
627 487

Vilnius:
561 836

If such tendencies will continue, Vilnius will be bigger than Riga in terms of population after about 5 years. Actually I did not expect that population of Riga will decline so fast (why?) and I was expecting bigger growth of Vilnius (+20 000 in 13 years is not really a big increase), though only last year Vilnius grew by almost +10 000, so maybe it'll grow faster for some time now.

As for skylines, who was right? :D Not 15 years yet, two more years to go, but it's obvious that it's between Tallinn and Vilnius I guess. :)

61 - 68 of 68 Posts