Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Taking On The World
26,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering that some important brazilian stadiums, including stadiums that were World Cup Standart stadiums (like Grêmio Arena), were left out of the 2014 World Cup, I was wondering about other World Cups, which were in your opinion the best stadiums in S.Africa, Germany, Japan/SKorea, and also previous World Cups, that could have easily hosted World Cup games (or better yet, naturally fitted all FIFA criteria for that specific World Cup), but for one reason or other were left out?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Excellent Thread.

These is my Opinion on Best Stadium left out of each World Cup:

2006:

Olympic Stadium in Munich.
Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf.
Borussia Park in Monchengladbach.

2010:

-

2014:

Rio 2016 Athletics Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.
Gremio Arena in Porto Alegre (I Prefer All-Seaters though).
Morumbi in Sao Paulo (Although, needed Renovation and Arena Sao Paulo is nice).

2018:

Krasnodar Stadium.

Reactions: BadHatter

·
Taking On The World
26,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Tony: any stadium can be made all seator for the World Cup. All Germany World Cup stadiums had seats placed for the World Cup and removed again in a few sectors, after the World Cup, for terraces.

obviously, if chosen for the World Cup, Grêmio Arena would be an all seater (it was in the project), then remove the seats to create a terrace after the World Cup, just like German stadiums.

I think this "preference" among stadiums should be restricted to stadiums that would need MAJOR renovations (or be demolished and rebuilt) to fit FIFA criteria, compared to other stadiums that got the World Cup.

Example: in a city with two stadiums, one of them being an Olympic Stadium with a running track, and the other being a football specific stadium, that is a major reason to have preference of one over the other.

Tony, can you give more info on Krasnodar? Is it an ALREADY built stadium that was left out, even though it could host the 2018 Cup, or was it a project that was not chosen and will be scrapped?

Or is it a project that was not chosen, and even though it was not chosen, it IS being built?

·
Taking On The World
26,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2014 - I probably would include Allianz Park (even if the stadium is not ready yet).
it´s a possibility that IF it had been chosen for the World Cup, they would have accelerated the works and SPECIALLY, the municipal administration would have conceded the licenses FASTER than they did (the stadium construction was halted for MONTHS waiting the municipal administration to slowly concede the licenses, while Corinthians Arena had the licenses conceded in a hurry).

·
Registered
404 Posts
@Tony: any stadium can be made all seator for the World Cup. All Germany World Cup stadiums had seats placed for the World Cup and removed again in a few sectors, after the World Cup, for terraces.

obviously, if chosen for the World Cup, Grêmio Arena would be an all seater (it was in the project), then remove the seats to create a terrace after the World Cup, just like German stadiums.

I think this "preference" among stadiums should be restricted to stadiums that would need MAJOR renovations (or be demolished and rebuilt) to fit FIFA criteria, compared to other stadiums that got the World Cup.

Example: in a city with two stadiums, one of them being an Olympic Stadium with a running track, and the other being a football specific stadium, that is a major reason to have preference of one over the other.

Tony, can you give more info on Krasnodar? Is it an ALREADY built stadium that was left out, even though it could host the 2018 Cup, or was it a project that was not chosen and will be scrapped?

Or is it a project that was not chosen, and even though it was not chosen, it IS being built?
AFAIK, Krasnodar will be building 2 Stadiums. One for Kuban and the other for FK Krasnodar. FK Krasnodar's Stadium would of been Krasnodar's Stadium if Krasnodar was chosen. Instead, Kaliningrad was chosen.

·
Ars longa, vita brevis
9,365 Posts
Whenever Turkey host something, it's going to be a shame not to have the jewel that the new Besiktas stadium will be, simply because there are too many other & bigger stadiums in Istanbul.

For EURO 2016, I would have rather had a refurbished La Beaujoire (Nantes) instead of the Bollaert from Lens.

For EURO 2012 I would have really liked to have the stadium in Krakow, but for the city more than for the stadium itself (which is OK but nothing special). The Legia stadium in Warsaw would have probably been the best Polish stadium left out of the tournament. On the Ukrainean side of EURO 2012, both the stadiums in Odessa and Dniepropetrovsk would have been better than Kharkiv in that they don't have a running track; but they are a tad smaller, though.

For the WC 1998 venues, the best one left out was probably Strasbourg. It's a good stadium but not really an improvement over any of the stadiums that were chosen. The city would have been, though.

·
Taking On The World
26,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whenever Turkey host something, it's going to be a shame not to have the jewel that the new Besiktas stadium will be, simply because there are too many other & bigger stadiums in Istanbul.

eh???

what are the other too many bigger stadium in Istambul?

suppose Turkey hosts an Eurocup. How many stadiums are needed? Some 8 to 10? Are you sure there would be no place for this stadium?

·
Ars longa, vita brevis
9,365 Posts
eh???

what are the other too many bigger stadium in Istambul?

suppose Turkey hosts an Eurocup. How many stadiums are needed? Some 8 to 10? Are you sure there would be no place for this stadium?
In Istanbul you have the Olympic stadium, Galata's stadium and Fener's stadium which are larger than Besiktas' future stadium. And there's no way there's gonna be a summer tournament with more than two stadiums in the same city, IMO.

·
Registered
404 Posts
In Istanbul you have the Olympic stadium, Galata's stadium and Fener's stadium which are larger than Besiktas' future stadium. And there's no way there's gonna be a summer tournament with more than two stadiums in the same city, IMO.
Agreed. I reckon Ataturk Olympic Stadium and Turk Telekom Arena would be Istanbul's Stadium's for a UEFA Euro. I think for each Host, just like the Fifa World Cup, only 1 City would have 2 Stadiums, the rest would have 1. So - England, London would have 2 Stadiums. Turkey, Istanbul 2 Stadiums, Sweden, Stockholm would have 2 Stadiums etc.

For Russia 2018, I quite liked the proposed Moscow Region Stadium, but that wasn't chosen.

·
Taking On The World
26,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, even so, Besiktas future stadium would certainly enter this list if there was a World Cup in Turkey and it was left out because the city already has other 2 stadiums.

after all, this thread is not about excuses to leave great stadiums out of tournaments, just what great stadiums were left out (for external factors), independent of the reasons being good or not.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts