SkyscraperCity banner

What is the UK's best town hall?

1 - 20 of 330 Posts
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first thread.:)
Town halls, the centre of city government. Which one is your favourite? Obviously this will mainly depend on the architecture.

Manchester Town Hall is the best for me - great example of Gothic revival.

So what about you?

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
One fo the best twon halls in the country too by most peoples standards. Poor show Madchester guy!!

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I've never liked Manchester Town Hall. I don't like gothic and it is just a blown up version of lots of small town civic halls you see across the north. I like Leeds and Glasgows. Liverpool's is very elegant, Brums is magnificent (if I'm thinking of the right building as I type this!

Here's a nice pic from webaviation

er, the one with the dome!

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
The Leeds one just looks ridiculous and over the top, and has low quality, eroded stone with poor detailing. [/IMG]
It provided the inspiration for Australia's parliament, Durban, Bolton and Morley town halls. Can't be that bad. (in fact it uses different stone for different bits) btw, these threads are shit, someone asks the question and then we get a bombarded with the same old photos, like the one below.

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,810 Posts
I've never liked Manchester Town Hall. I don't like gothic and it is just a blown up version of lots of small town civic halls you see across the north. I like Leeds and Glasgows. Liverpool's is very elegant, Brums is magnificent (if I'm thinking of the right building as I type this!
I think that may be the council house* if im thinking what you're thinking of Tony, the Town hall is a more modest (in comparison) affair but still good!

I love the fact it catches most people by surprise, most people don't expect it to be there! :lol:

*would that serve as a town hall if there is no town hall? as down here we only have The Council house, If not then we have no town hall per se :shifty:

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I'm gonna agree with Manchester's being the best, though I really like most town halls in the UK.

It's the most expensive civic building in the UK for a reason. The quality of the finish simply isn't matched anywhere else. It cost around ten times more to build than Birmingham's did for example!

·
control yourself
4,368 Posts
The first phase of Glasgow City Chambers (the 'front door' so to speak) covered 5016sq m and cost £578,232 in 1888. It was extended to the east soon after and now encompasses two city blocks and a total of 14,000sq m.

Some interior shots by allan rooney

The largest marble staircase in western europe

this is the 'back stair'

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The first phase of Glasgow City Chambers (the 'front door' so to speak) covered 5016sq m and cost £578,232 in 1888.
And Manchester's cost just over £1m back in 1868. Birmingham's Council House, by contrast, cost £163,000 in 1879!

Values in today's money are £72m for Manchester's, Glasgow's is £48m and Birmingham's is £13m.

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
BARNSLEY TARN ALL

Simple. But very well proportioned. Very elegant, and very well placed in it's surroundings with the cenotaph infront and Regent Street sloping gently downhill directly infront of it.

Inside, you are met by a white marble entrance hall with a double staircase leading up to the debating chamber. Original 1920's wrought iron lifts are still inplace, and still in use.

At night, the clock faces on the tower are lit in white, while the tower corners are lit in blue.

Probably the best town hall for a small(er) town in the UK.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
^^ Yeah, for a small town I think its one of the best.

This is Great Yarmouth Town Hall:

·
control yourself
4,368 Posts
And Manchester's cost just over £1m back in 1868. Birmingham's Council House, by contrast, cost £163,000 in 1879!

Values in today's money are £72m for Manchester's, Glasgow's is £48m and Birmingham's is £13m.
Thats only around a third of the total cost of the City Chambers though, i.e. the first phase ...not that the cost matters or anything...

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
I think that may be the council house* if im thinking what you're thinking of Tony, the Town hall is a more modest (in comparison) affair but still good!

I love the fact it catches most people by surprise, most people don't expect it to be there! :lol:

*would that serve as a town hall if there is no town hall? as down here we only have The Council house, If not then we have no town hall per se :shifty:

This is Birmingham Town Hall, or as a Girlfriend once asked, why have they built a copy of that building they put dead popes in.

1 - 20 of 330 Posts