SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No golf on the boards! So I'll start a thread on the best/worst golf courses you've ever played on.

My best would have to be Macquarie Links GC in SW Sydney...stunning greens and difficult course
My worst would have to be Wollongong GC and Marrickville GC...terrible faiways and Marrickville is too tiny.

I would love to play on Royal Melbourne (could be private?) and Bonville (near Coffs). I keep reading every year they are rated in Australia's top 10 courses.

Have not played in other states, but may so if others add their best/worst ofs!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Royal Melbourne has been rated in the world top 10 courses of 'golf digest' i think that's the name of it, for the last 30 or 40 years.

it's a lovely manicured golf course and Ernie Els, who plays the Hieniken classic there every year, described the greens there as the best he's ever played on.

My fave is probaly 'Metropolitan' not too far from Royal Melbourne on the famous Melbourne sand belt. I dont think ive seen a better prepared course in the country.

Cheers

Dean - Melbourne

P.S. Would love to play the old course at St Andrews one day.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Riversdale is the best course I have played. Yarra Bend is one the best public courses to hit around.

Would love to play Moonah Links and in my dreams Augusta.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If one picks up a Melway, you can not seem to ignore the countless golf courses being planned along river valleys. I think, from planning perspective, it is great for stormwater purposes and for green corridors for recreation (cycling). E.G. Morack GC and Waterford Valley GC,

Anyone played on Albert Park, Sanctuary Lakes GC
or Geelong's Best...?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Q-TIP said:
If one picks up a Melway, you can not seem to ignore the countless golf courses being planned along river valleys. I think, from planning perspective, it is great for stormwater purposes and for green corridors for recreation (cycling). E.G. Morack GC and Waterford Valley GC,
A few years ago I played Morack every week for 3 months and although it was winter it was tee up all the way around for 90% of the time. Very poor drainage.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sirbugalugs said:
A few years ago I played Morack every week for 3 months and although it was winter it was tee up all the way around for 90% of the time. Very poor drainage.
That's a shame. With better planning of courses along valleys, bunkers and roughs should be located in 'dips' and fairways on 'highs'. This way a good shot need not to be teed up on fairways...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BrizzyChris said:
The Hyatt Course up at Coolum is very nice. I was there for the Australian PGA last year.
There only to watch? Or play? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts