Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bethesda Center North (North Bethesda Town Center)

http://www.lcor.com/play.html

comments
The nearly $1 Billion project by Berwyn, PA developer LCOR has a significant office component and is a major step in the urbanization of North Bethesda and Rockville Pike (Maryland Route 355). The North Bethesda/White Flint area is zoned TS-M (Transit Station Mixed used) and allows for the tallest buildings in Mongomery County, with buildings as tall as 450'feet proposed. Twin 18 story residential highrises are now under construction with taller ones in a future phase.

Status
Under Construction

Quick Facts,

• 1,148,000 square feet of office space.
  • 1,350 Highrise Residential Units
  • 169 Moderately Priced Dwelling Units (MPDUs)
  • 202,037 square feet of general ground floor retail, including a Harris Teeter grocery store
  • Possible 80,000 square foot movie theater with 3,500 seating capacity.

LOT E, (18 story highrise now under construction)

Quick Facts,

• 18 Stories (Maximum 20 Stories)
  • 186'feet
  • 312 Residential Units
  • 69 Moderately Priced Dwelling Units (MPDUs)
  • 61,246 square feet of retail, anchored by Harris Teeter

·
Banned
518 Posts
Where is the 450 footer? :D
Down the road about 1000ft (and on the other side of the street). Basically everything around this site is under construction or slated for construction.

450 ft is what the developer wants, but I don't know if the planning board will allow it due to public opposition. It'll be at the very least 310ft though.

I'm happy to see the market can bear 450ft buildings here. When we start building tall and it works I can see public opposition waning quickly.

·
6,953 Posts
How high are those 18-story twins at this moment? Any pics of the construction?

Have the other projects been formally proposed or are they just projects that the developers plan to propose at this point?

Would 450 feet be the tallest building in any of the DC satellite cities?

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Down the road about 1000ft (and on the other side of the street). Basically everything around this site is under construction or slated for construction.

450 ft is what the developer wants, but I don't know if the planning board will allow it due to public opposition. It'll be at the very least 310ft though.

I'm happy to see the market can bear 450ft buildings here. When we start building tall and it works I can see public opposition waning quickly.
140 ft. difference? wow. y not? 450 ft. - 310 ft. = 140 ft. :D c, i can still add. :D

thanx, modestproposal. :yes:

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
How high are those 18-story twins at this moment? Any pics of the construction?

Have the other projects been formally proposed or are they just projects that the developers plan to propose at this point?

Would 450 feet be the tallest building in any of the DC satellite cities?
i think not, peter. i think there's 1 or 2 taller proposals/approved towers going up in the Reston area, iirc. :yes:

·
Banned
518 Posts
140 ft. difference? wow. y not? 450 ft. - 310 ft. = 140 ft. :D c, i can still add. :D

thanx, modestproposal. :yes:
There's still a chance of 450ft, it's just that we have a NIMBY infestation that might cause problems. Also, the only thing I know of taller than 450ft proposed in the Washington area is in Arlington at something like 480ft. Nothing in Reston is proposed at this height IIRC.

BTW, I was at the Rockville Town Center at 1AM last night and the bar was packed. Good sign of a younger crowd moving into lower MoCo.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's still a chance of 450ft, it's just that we have a NIMBY infestation that might cause problems. Also, the only thing I know of taller than 450ft proposed in the Washington area is in Arlington at something like 480ft. Nothing in Reston is proposed at this height IIRC.

BTW, I was at the Rockville Town Center at 1AM last night and the bar was packed. Good sign of a younger crowd moving into lower MoCo.
At 450'feet,White Flint Crossing would definitely be the tallest occupied building in the D.C. area. I’m not sure exactly how this building is being measured but MC-MNCPPC (planning dept) has several methods with the most common being at the centerline. I believe measuring from the lowest adjacent grade is most factual.

What the buildings in Arlington/Rosslyn are doing is measuring from the sea level which would be a false claim. Measured from the lowest adjacent grade the tallest building would actually be 388’feet (office) and the other 342’feet (residential).

Funny thing is that Bethesda based JBG is behind both these projects.
White Flint Crossing would still be pretty tall at 310’feet (I assume you’re counting utilities Balwash?) but 450’feet? That would be damn sweet.
I certainly hope they throw out the current design and bring in something glass that hides the hideous balconies.

Balwash how did you learn about the move to make it 450’feet? Any articles?
Most importantly are you going to testify or write a letter in support? I’m willing if you are.

·
Banned
518 Posts
Balwash how did you learn about the move to make it 450’feet? Any articles?
Most importantly are you going to testify or write a letter in support? I’m willing if you are.
I learned of the move to make it 450ft from my father who is a developer and knows the people at JBG. I think they also talked about the LEED height bonuses at the last White Flint Sector Plan Meeting. I'd definitely be willing to write a letter and testify. I live in one of the adjacent neighborhoods so I hope my opinion would carry some weight. It's really amazing to hear some of the things that opponents say about this project (aka, these citizens are so fucking dumb they shouldn't be allowed to speak). Some guy just started ranting about it during the Q and A session for some speaker from the Urban Land Institute.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sort of a belated news update!

LCOR Tops Out on Construction of North Bethesda Center’s First Apartment Building at White Flint Metro in Suburban Maryland

Which, is nice. I walk by the construction site everyday and I can see lighted windows now. It looks like it is delivering in June 2008, and starting yesterday there was a new harris teeter coming soon sign posted on the corner of old georgetown and rockville pike.

Any comments or news are welcome!
Thanks for the update and Welcome to the Forum! Hope you can post often we need more Maryland National Capital Region Forumners here!

I didn't realize it has topped out already, I should to drive by there for an update.

KEEP POSTING!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts