Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Irish did a great job using ex pats to get the story out of how they turned the country around. Why cant the idiots running the Capital of Culture use the same philosophy and get ex pat scousers from around the world back in 2008 rather than count on plastic scousers such as Tarby,Cilla etc and the old chestnut of Macca.

I was going to work on this fella

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000850/

to come back for a look as I can speak to him him through a mutual friend but I wouldnt know what to suggest for him as the arrangements/events for 2008 seem as top secret as the tall buildings policy.

Others such as Hallie Berry and Mike Myers have some ties to the city and surely this is a prime excuse to try and get them here even if only so we can oggle at Hallie.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I would have posted on the COC thread but I cant find it.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I have actually suggested that, twice.
Once in 1998 to the head of tourism and againt o one of the council staff who moved over to the CoC initiative just after the city had won the title.....BOTH reckoned that the diaspora would not be interested in helping as these were self motivated... I couldn't make my mind up whether they thought that this was because they were selfish or would not be interested in 'a' city they had left.

What really struck me was that their replies were virtually identical, as if it was an understood, but litle aired attitude to ex pat scousers... they were both quite insistant.

besrt thing to do is just do it anyway.

They are always disinclined to trry and include anybody from outside their own public sector circle... marketeers theys guys are not!

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I thought there was some "diaspora" strand in the CoC strategy, I recall reading something or other, but it's probably a bit half-hearted. 2008 is THE opportunity for reconnection. I'm afraid that some of those who work in the public sector in Liverpool are not terribly good, I've come across a few second-raters, and I can see that they might well resist advice, help or perceived competition from ex-pats who have more professional skills / status in "their" area of work.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diaspora

Wow theres a word you dont use every day

I think theres truth in both the above replies

1) The people inolved lack the imagination
2) They dismiss it because they didnt think of it

I contacted the Liverpool film office a while back about some contacts I had obatined in the fillum business here in LA and they just blew me off.

The 'scouser' expat boards are VERY active and I find it hard to believe all of them are anti Liverpool.

I havent been following it too much as I am half a world away but is this one idea of an activity the 21st Century Group could take on ? Just a thought as although I understand the group is still figuring out it aims etc you will need practical actvities to move it forward.

·
Just something
9,058 Posts
Homeland calling ..... please speak after the beeps!

LABlue said:
Wow theres a word you dont use every day

I think theres truth in both the above replies

1) The people inolved lack the imagination
2) They dismiss it because they didnt think of it

I contacted the Liverpool film office a while back about some contacts I had obatined in the fillum business here in LA and they just blew me off.

The 'scouser' expat boards are VERY active and I find it hard to believe all of them are anti Liverpool.

I havent been following it too much as I am half a world away but is this one idea of an activity the 21st Century Group could take on ? Just a thought as although I understand the group is still figuring out it aims etc you will need practical actvities to move it forward.
It gets my vote .....

also.....
"I contacted the Liverpool film office a while back about some contacts I had obatined in the fillum business here in LA and they just blew me off."

And those idiots say they want `Liverpool to be the most film friendly / production friendly city in the UK!`

I think you should let the `Echo` know in detail LA(r)

[email protected]

:eek2:

North West Vision

North West Vision is the screen and media agency for England's Northwest, backed by the Film Council, the North West Development Agency, and local authorities across the region Their mission is to champion our TV and Film industry, celebrate talent and diversity, and build on production success to be the best in Europe

0151 708 9858

www.northwestvision.co.uk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts