SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The country is swept by madness: "One of the most influential dailies, Hurriyet, highlighted that 156 Uighurs were killed, and also alleged that the Chinese security agencies were responsible for the death toll (Hurriyet, July 8)." Hurriyet is the PAPER OF RECORD IN THAT COUNTRY. How did every check and balance fail in Turkey. This sounds like North Korea.

----

The riots in Urumqi, the capital of China's northwestern Xinjiang region populated by ethnic Turkic Uighurs, have resulted in the deaths of at least 156 people, mostly Uighurs, and hundreds wounded to the shock of the Turkish public. Uighur associations accuse the Chinese government of concealing the real death toll. A spokesman for an Uighur solidarity group based in Turkey, Seyit Tumturk of the East Turkestan Culture and Solidarity Association (DTKDD), said that the death toll was over 500 and that there were thousands injured (Today's Zaman, July 7). Erkin Emet, the deputy secretary-general of the World Uighur Congress claimed that the morgues were full and that the hospitals could not handle the sudden influx of wounded. Moreover, they accused the Chinese government of misrepresenting the Uighurs as separatists and terrorists linked to al Qaeda (NTV, July 7).

The DTKDD, with the support of other Turkish NGO's, hastily organized a protest outside the Chinese embassy in Ankara to condemn the Chinese government's handling of the riots. The Nationalist Great Union Party (BBP) leader, Yalcin Topcu asked that the Turkish government reconsider its relations with China and that parliament condemn the Chinese government's actions (Yeni Safak, July 7).

Another protest was held in Istanbul, organized by the members of the nationalist Alperen Ocaklari group. Approximately 500 people marched to the Chinese consulate in Istanbul. The leader of the group appealed for the protesters to boycott Chinese commercial products. Meanwhile, the pro-government Independent Industrialists and Businessmen's Association (MUSIAD) released a statement calling on Turkish investors to refrain from doing business with China. The Turkish Education Personnel Union also called on the government to act and asked Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to tell China "one minute," a phrase he used in January at an international summit in Davos as part of a broader reaction to violence in Gaza (www.turkegitimsen.org.tr, Today's Zaman, July 8).

Devlet Bahceli the leader of the Nationalist Action Party (MHP) criticized the Turkish government for not summoning the Chinese ambassador to the foreign ministry to protest against Beijing's treatment of the Uighurs. Bahceli said that Erdogan was quick to adopt a strong stance against the crisis in Gaza and Palestine, extending an invitation to Hamas and promoting this organization within various international platforms, yet he has remained silent over the "massacre against the Uighurs" (Zaman, July 7).

One of the most influential dailies, Hurriyet, highlighted that 156 Uighurs were killed, and also alleged that the Chinese security agencies were responsible for the death toll (Hurriyet, July 8). The pro-government daily Yeni Safak accused the Chinese police of failing to prevent Hun Chinese from burning Uighur shops and criticized the inadequate response by the international community against the Chinese government (Yeni Safak, July 8).

Despite both the Turkish public and press expressing concern over the crisis in China the statement released by the Turkish foreign ministry was muted in its tone. On July 6 the foreign ministry released a statement saying:

"It is our expectation that the persons who are responsible for these incidents will be found as soon as possible and brought to justice. We believe that the necessary measures will be taken to prevent this kind of incident in the future in China, a country on the way to becoming more stable and prosperous. We extend our condolences to the people of the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region in particular and to the people of China in general, to the families of those who lost their lives and wish speedy recovery to those who were injured" (www.mfa.gov.tr, July 6).

It appears that the Turkish foreign ministry's statement did not convince Erdogan. He asked the Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu to monitor the developments closely and keep him informed (www.haber3.com, July 7). Davutoglu stated "our expectation is to see that the tension ends as soon as possible. Turkey is watching these developments with concern and we are considering what we can do" (Anadolu Ajansi, July 7).

One of the factors that might restrict Ankara's scope to criticize Beijing is that President Abdullah Gul recently paid an official visit to China, and eight Turkish companies signed contracts worth of $3 billion (Hurriyet, July 7). Moreover, Ankara wishes to avoid any conflict with China within the U.N. Security Council, where Turkey is a non-permanent member.

Given the Uighur communities in Turkey and their traditional support from Turkish nationalists, they might not remain passive over the crisis in Xinjiang. And given that the Uighurs are a sizeable minority, with many having major business interests within Turkey such as the leather related textile businesses in Istanbul, any further mishandling of the crisis by Beijing might damage its bilateral relationship with Turkey.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Turkey is always about religion, I'm sure they feel they are supporting their Muslim bothers and sisters in China by boycotting Chinese products.

This would be a great lose for Turkey, they both made great progress in the last few years, Turkey will only be hurting themselves.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
Hürriyet is an extreme right wing nationalist newspaper from Turkey with a pan-turko agenda.

Well, they can bark and boycott as much as they want. It's insignificant to China.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The World Uighur Congress and Rebiya Kadeer are alleging "400-600 Uighur deaths" at the hands of Chinese authorities. I guess the Turkish paper is mixing up its sources. Anyways, Kadeer's claims have been largely shot down by Western reporters and sources on the ground in Xinjiang.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
If this is the case then this article should not be taken seriously. I believe the Turkish government can see this situation, Turkey is a sensible country.
The problem is, Hürriyet is the biggest newspaper not only in Turkey but also the most read in the oversea Turkish communities.

·
Ill get 6 pack abs
3,253 Posts
Turkey is always about religion, I'm sure they feel they are supporting their Muslim bothers and sisters in China by boycotting Chinese products.
That's true, there is a big market there for the wet dream of TURANIA :lol: that's probably a reason why EU dont allow Turkey to join. Well done EU, they should boycott Turkey forever! XD ^^

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It is so fucking odd that rebiya kadeer claims of discrimination against minorities in China .While she herself being a minority became one of the richest women in China . If such a discrimination were true how did a uighur girl like her became such a big success.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is so fucking odd that rebiya kadeer claims of discrimination against minorities in China .While she herself being a minority became one of the richest women in China . If such a discrimination were true how did a uighur girl like her became such a big success.
hum... point well made.
i guess she should have become richer than bill gates in her opinion?
this is total nonsense. i never seen any discrimination from hans towards muslims in china, racial issues aren't what some medias and people interpret it to be.

·
Premium member
9,981 Posts
Come to Europe if you want to see real discrimination against minorities.

Stop this ridiculous claim. :eek:hno:
Different ethnics slaughter each other in China and you complain about Europe. :eek:hno:

I have also immigration background and lived my entire life in Europe.

And if you speak about Kurds in turkey, don't forget, Turkey is not Europe. One of the reason why they are not allowed into the EU.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
Well this is certainly very embarrassing for Turkey. Losing a China as a trading partner will surely hurt Turkey more than it will hurt China in the long run.

Turkey attacks China 'genocide'

In Istanbul, Turkish protesters burned the Chinese flag at a rally

Turkey's prime minister has described ethnic violence in China's Xinjiang region as "a kind of genocide".

"There is no other way of commenting on this event," Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.

He spoke after a night-time curfew was reimposed in Xinjiang's capital, Urumqi, where Muslim Uighurs and Han Chinese clashed last Sunday.

The death toll from the violence there has now risen from 156 to 184, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reports. More than 1,000 people were injured.

Turkey, a predominantly Muslim country, shares linguistic and religious links with the Uighurs in China's western-most region.

After Friday's prayers, a small group of Uighur Muslims marched along an Urumqi street demanding the release of men detained for their alleged role in last Sunday's riot.

A large number of riot police surrounded the group, they punched and kicked the protestors - one officer used his baton to beat one of the Uighurs. A number of foreign journalists had their equipment seized, some have been detained.

"The event taking place in China is a kind of genocide," Mr Erdogan told reporters in Turkey's capital, Ankara.

"There are atrocities there, hundreds of people have been killed and 1,000 hurt. We have difficulty understanding how China's leadership can remain a spectator in the face of these events."

The Turkish premier also urged Beijing to "address the question of human rights and do what is necessary to prosecute the guilty".

Mr Erdogan's comments came a day after Turkish Trade and Industry Minister Nihat Ergun urged Turks to boycott Chinese goods.

Beijing has so far not publicly commented on Mr Erdogan's criticism.

But it said that of the 184 people who died, 137 were Han Chinese.

Uighurs defiant

Earlier on Friday, the Chinese authorities reimposed a night-time curfew in Urumqi.

The curfew had been suspended for two days after officials said they had the city under control.

Mosques in the city were ordered to remain closed on Friday and notices were posted instructing people to stay at home to worship.

But at least two opened after crowds of Uighurs gathered outside and demanded to be allowed in to pray on the holiest day of the week in Islam.

"We decided to open the mosque because so many people had gathered. We did not want an incident," a policeman outside the White Mosque in a Uighur neighbourhood told the AP news agency.

After the prayers, riot police punched and kicked a small group of Uighurs protesters, who demanded the release of men detained after last Sunday's violence, the BBC's Quentin Sommerville says.

Meanwhile, the city's main bus station was reported to be crowded with people trying to escape the unrest.

Extra bus services had been laid on and touts were charging up to five times the normal face price for tickets, AFP news agency said.

"It is just too risky to stay here. We are scared of the violence," a 23-year-old construction worker from central China said.

The violence began on Sunday when a Uighur rally to protest against a deadly brawl between Uighurs and Han Chinese several weeks ago in a toy factory in southern Guangdong province turned violent.

Tensions have been growing in Xinjiang for many years, as Han migrants have poured into the region, where the Uighur minority is concentrated.

Many Uighurs feel economic growth has bypassed them and complain of discrimination and diminished opportunities.
Meanwhile reports from those who are actually from the region, completely disagree with Turkey's assessment of the situation.

Kalder, IT engineer, Beijing, originally from Urumqi

I belong to the Hui minority group. Back in Urumqi I've got friends from the Hui, Han and Uighur groups. Relations between us have always been fine, that's why I was totally shocked when I heard what happened earlier in the week.

The most important thing for the stability of Xinjiang is economic prosperity benefiting everyone

I don't think the rioters represent the Uighur minority. Most of the Uighurs are good people and they don't want such things to happen.

I feel that both Uighurs and Hui people are supported by the government. It's easier for us to get into university and there are more opportunities.

It's true that many Han people have come to Xinjiang in the last few years and that more Han Chinese live in Urumqi than Uighurs. But I don't mind that. If I can come to Beijing, why can't Han Chinese go to Urumqi?

I don't feel anybody is looking down on me here because I am from the Hui ethnic group. But I know that Han Chinese look down on Uighurs, because some Uighurs do bad things, like stealing, so they attract bad feelings.

The situation in Xinjiang is getting better and better. People earn more money, their life style is better than before and they are happier. The visitors from other parts of China create more, not less, opportunities.

So I think that the most important thing for the future stability of Xinjiang is economic prosperity benefiting everyone.

I am a little bit worried about stability in the short term. My parents told me that they feel much safer now that the army is there. So I think that the army should stay there for a few months at least to ensure the safety of the people there.
source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8143107.stm

·
Registered
353 Posts
Turkish and Uighur speak the same language, so most Turkish think of the Uighur as their brother, and Turkey goverment think of the Uighur as its citizens. and might think of Xinjiang as its ownland.

·
26,544 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
WTF is a Greek-Pontiac genocide? Who does recognize such a genocide? Does even Greece recognize it? So every race that was ruled by the Ottomans can now sue Turkey for commiting a genocide? :lol: Even if there was such a genocide we talk about today, about people whose lives can be saved! But this not you concern, you want just to make propaganda about your "Greek genocide". Not even the so-called Armenian genocide is recognized by 3/4 of the world states and by the majority of the EU members and you come up with a new genocide, yeah sure, cry us a river!

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Beside this it is quite normal that Turkey supports the Uighurs since we have the similar labguages, a common history and even same flags, what do you expect?!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beside this it is quite normal that Turkey supports the Uighurs since we have the similar labguages, a common history and even same flags, what do you expect?!
I absolutely did not expect this.

Read what the non-Chinese press is saying about the Uighur rampage:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6677379.ece

I do not expect the Turkey to support the Uighurs on everything. I especially do not expect them to label a massacre of Chinese by Uighurs as a massacre of Uighurs by the Chinese.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
Your so called common history broke up long ago. That flag you are talking about is not recognised by anyone but Turkey.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
The fact that the flag is not recognized doesn't change the mentality of people, they still support and wave this flag!

How do you know that our history broke up? Are you Turkish or are you Uighur? I feel sympathy from them they feel for us, so how can you judge for us?

If I listen to that balad from a region that is thousands of kilometers away from Turkey and a region and its people that I've never seen but still understand some parts of the balad and sound familiar to me then I've quite many reasons to feel close to the people of Uighur.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts