SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realize I am going out on a limb here in discussing the peculiar way I express my Chicago-centrism. I tend to buy certain products that I know will benefit Chicago in some way given that the profits go to Chicago-area businesses.

Hence, I have...

*preferred Motorola cellphones, not only buying one myself but recommending them to my friends. (I also think the flip phone is inherently a better design than that little cutsie Nokia crap.)

*purchased Motorola wireless access point and cable modem w/o checking the competition

*bought Kraft cheese and many other Kraft products when I could. (also because some of them are just better than the competition, e.g. Philly cream cheese)

*chewed Wrigley's almost exclusively

*bought Quaker Oats oatmeal rather than the cheaper generic

*used Orbitz to book flight and hotel reservations, w/o even checking Expedia or Travelocity

*on road trips, patronized McDonalds, not Burger King or Arby's

*grumbled when people use Splenda rather than NutraSweet

*tried to buy a dehumidifier at Sears before giving up on their hopelessly minimal selection and going to Loews.

If you think this is bad, well at least I have yet to change my car insurance to Allstate, purchase a Ford Taurus, or refuse to fly on anything but Boeing planes on United. Any other people this crazy?

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
I try to do this as well whenever possible. On the flip side, as a Mexican-American son of immigrants, I refuse to buy ice cream from Oberweiss Dairy on the basis of refusing to support xenophobes. I find Ben and Jerry's, Stone Cold Creamery, and even Baskin Robbins to be far better and rightious choices.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
my friends a plummer in training fixed our faucet once by replacing it with a "Chicago Faucet" after explaining how its the best plumbing and faucet company on the market(qualety wise) i told him , "dont worry , you had me at chicago!"

·
Registered
242 Posts
The only example I can think of where I do this are my attempts to patronize the Sears store on State Street. It's hard readjusting my mindset to even go there because it's generally the last place I would think of to buy just about anything. But I appreciate that they came back to the Loop and I kind of feel sorry for the long, slow death the company is enduring. Still, I've made very few purchases there. Clothes are a bust, because even when they stock the same basic brands as other stores (e.g. Dockers), they never have common sizes (waists 30-32) in stock. Although they have a surprisingly wide selection on some electronics, like phones, other stores beat them on prices. So unfortunately, even a motivated consumer like me can't help out Sears.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
United

I have trouble reading news about the latest near-strike by United employees. Why, if I flew more, I would definitely choose United.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ChicagoLover said:
I realize I am going out on a limb here in discussing the peculiar way I express my Chicago-centrism. I tend to buy certain products that I know will benefit Chicago in some way given that the profits go to Chicago-area businesses.

Hence, I have...

*preferred Motorola cellphones, not only buying one myself but recommending them to my friends. (I also think the flip phone is inherently a better design than that little cutsie Nokia crap.)

*purchased Motorola wireless access point and cable modem w/o checking the competition

*bought Kraft cheese and many other Kraft products when I could. (also because some of them are just better than the competition, e.g. Philly cream cheese)

*chewed Wrigley's almost exclusively

*bought Quaker Oats oatmeal rather than the cheaper generic

*used Orbitz to book flight and hotel reservations, w/o even checking Expedia or Travelocity

*on road trips, patronized McDonalds, not Burger King or Arby's

*grumbled when people use Splenda rather than NutraSweet

*tried to buy a dehumidifier at Sears before giving up on their hopelessly minimal selection and going to Loews.

If you think this is bad, well at least I have yet to change my car insurance to Allstate, purchase a Ford Taurus, or refuse to fly on anything but Boeing planes on United. Any other people this crazy?
I tend to lean towards Chicago products, as well. I think it's only natural.

·
Formerly InTheLoop
485 Posts
While I will always lean towards supporting known Chicago companies and manufacturers, I try even harder to spend all of my money inside the city limits so my sales tax doesn't support the suburbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts