PREMIO TOMAS AREJOLA ANNOUNCED
Ika-Anom na Premio Tomas Arejola para sa Literaturang Bikolnon
c/o Museo de Caceres, Holy Rosary Minor Seminary
Elias Angeles St., Naga City, Philippines
I. REGULAR CATEGORIES
Open to all Bicolano writers and literary enthusiasts writing in any of the Bikol languages. There shall be no discrimination on the basis of age, gender or religion. Contestants under 18 years of age are, however, required to submit a certificate of parental consent.
The 6 TH Premio Arejola is open in the Poetry, Fiction, Essay, Drama and the Novel categories.
* Entries for the Rawitdawit (Poetry) category must consist of at least 10 poems but not more than 15 poems.
* Entries for Osipon (Fiction) should be at least 7 pages in length but should not exceed 12 pages.
* Entries for the Osipon na Pan-aki (Stories for Children) should be at least 5 pages in length but should not exceed 10 pages. Entries with a plot and narrative suitable for an illustrated storybook of at least 30 pages are preferred.
* Entries in the Halipot na Dula (One-act Play) must be of sufficient length to approximate a performing time of at least thirty minutes. Halawig na Dula (Full-length Play) should have a performing time of at least an hour and a half. Entries in the play categories may be intended for children and/or adults. Plays for children, however, should be directed principally to promote Bikol values and traditions in the grade school level, ages 7 to 12.
* Entries in the Salaysay (Essay) category should be at least 5 pages in length but should not exceed 8 pages. Informal, personal essays about the Bicolano way of life are preferred.
* Entries in the Nobela (Novel) may deal with any subject, provided it is tackling issues relevant to Bikol realities.
Only new and unpublished works are eligible. A work that has been awarded a prize in another contest is not qualified for the awards.
All entries should be written originally in Bikol and not a translation of a work written in another language. The works must show literary merit and social significance.
Contestants may join in all categories but can submit only one entry per category.
Entries in the regular categories must be submitted in four copies, double spaced on 8 1/2 X 11 inches bond paper with one inch margin on all sides and the page number typed consecutively, e.g., 1 of 8, 2 of 8 and so on. Font must be Arial and font size must be 12. Entry must be submitted with pseudonym only and not the author's real name. Author's name and pseudonym must be submitted in a separate sealed envelope together with a bio-data containing the author's literary background, an ID picture, and contact information. A notarized declaration of originality and authenticity of authorship must accompany the entry.
Finalists in each of the categories shall receive the Premio Tomas Arejola Diploma of Merit. A top winner will be chosen from among the finalists who shall then receive the Premio Tomas Arejola medallion and P3, 000 cash prize. The said category winners are eligible for the Grand Prize, the winner of which shall be named Parasurat kan Taon (Writer of the Year) and will be awarded P10, 000. and the Naga City Jaycees Writer of the Year Trophy.
II. MGA RAWITDAWIT para ki INA Category
To honor the 2010 Tercentenary of the Bikol Devotion to the Lady of Peñafrancia, the Patroness of Kabikolan, the Premio Arejola shall once again have a poetry category for high school and elementary students. To be known as Rawitdawit para ki Ina , this category shall have the following rules:
* Participants may submit more than one entry but each entry must be computer-typed
and accompanied by a) the author's brief bio-data duly signed by a class adviser or a faculty coach and b) a certificate of parental consent.
* Entries must be written in the Bikol language, original, unpublished and not previously awarded a prize in any literary contest.
* There are no restrictions in length and style but all entries must articulate a young person's devotional sentiments to the Lady of Peñafrancia, as well as the significance of such devotion in today's world.
* Out-of-school youth not more than 18 years old are also enjoined to participate.
* Finalists and their adviser/mentor will each be awarded the Premio Tomas Arejola Diploma of Merit. The three best entries will be chosen from among the finalists who shall each receive the Naga City Jaycees Rawitdawit para ki Ina Medallion and P2, 000 cash prize. The adviser or mentor of the top three winners will receive medallions and prizes. In the event that an out-of-school youth wins, the prizes intended for the adviser/mentor will be awarded to the participant's parent or guardian.
III. PREMIO BIBIANO SABINO
The category is open to book authors, book designers/ illustrators, anthologists/editors and publishers of Bikol literary titles. To qualify, the book must be written majorly in the Bikol language, anthologized/ edited, designed/illustrated by a Bicolano native or resident. Only titles published and distributed between September 2007 and September 2009 are eligible.
Individuals involved in book publishing may nominate by submitting a copy of the book accompanied by a letter from the nominator testifying to the book's meritorious contribution to Bikol letters. Copy of winning entry shall remain with and become property of the Premio Arejola.
The winner will receive a testimonial plague, P5, 000, and shall be listed in the roster along with the winners of the regular category and Lifetime Achievement Awardees.
IV. OTHER INFORMATION
Entries for all categories must be addressed to the Premio Tomas Arejola para sa Literaturang Bikolnon, sent at the above address not later than June 30, 2009. Entries sent by mail or courier must be postmarked /invoiced not later than June 25, 2009.
Entries submitted via e-mail must be a Word Document file and sent as an attachment together with the contestant's bio-data containing his/her literary background and a notarized certification or authenticity of authorship of the entry. The original copy of notarized certification and ID picture must then be sent to 2009 PTALB thru mail. Entries submitted via e-mail must be submitted not later than June 25, 2009.
Failure to comply with any of the requirements shall result in disqualification from the awards.
Copyright of the works remain with the author but the latter grants, assigns and transfers into PTALB the right without necessity of any payment other than the prize which may have been awarded to publish the winning entry or portion thereof as it may at its discretion.
The Premio Arejola has the right of action against the author if it may later on discovered that the participant is not the creator or owner of the copyright to the winning work. The Premio Arejola shall not be liable to any court action if a third party files a case against the winner and/or contestant who plagiarized the work of the said third party.
Winners of all the aforementioned categories shall be responsible for the payment of government taxes.
Names of the finalists will be announced in local weeklies and radio stations on the first week of September 2009.
The names of the winners and members of the Board of Judges shall be announced on or before Sept 14, , Tomas Arejola's 144 th birth anniversary, in an awarding ceremony in Naga City.