SkyscraperCity Forum banner
41 - 60 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dislike cycle lanes as a cyclist. They obviously segregate cyclists and motorists but unfortunately in a way which reinforces the bigoted idea that roads are for cars or more accurately 'For people like us motorists, not pesky cyclists. They should get back to their own, er whatever cyclists come from. I'm not vehiclist I can ride a bike I just don't think they should be on MY road.'

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Milton Keynes is home to the Redway network of shared-use footway/bicycle path system, as the cross-city grid roads are unsuitable for low speed, vunerable users.:

It is approaching nearly 300km in size, and continues to grow with further development of the city:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
^ 300 Kilometers!!!

That's Impresive and Nice!

Congratulatios! and Saludos!
The first ones were built in the 1930s, well before massive expansion. Most built by the Development Corporation between 1967-1992, and since then by developers and Council. At least another 20-30km is currently in planning.

Here is a recently constructed one in Station Square, CMK. This is part of National Cycle Network Route 51, which connects Oxford and Cambridge via Milton Keynes

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jayanagar (Bangalore, India) has been chosen to experiment with dedicated lanes for the eco-friendly transport mode as the area has over 50 educational institutions - primary schools to colleges. It also boasts of being home to India's IT icon N.R. Narayana Murthy.

·
Dietrich von Welschbern
24,474 Posts
Some cycling lanes in my hometown, Verona, Italy

With a population of 260.000, Verona has 68km of bycicle lanes, plus 21km of cyclcing paths in urban Parks. It should certainly be better.

all pics by google street view

Typically, since we tend to have relatively narrow roads, we often turn two-way streets into one way streets when we build a bicycle lane. Which brings benefits like noise reduction, more safety for pedestrians, and so on.
This is an example of a former 2 way streets turned into a one way street after the introduction of the bicycle lane:

Map of bycicle lanes in town:

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Cycle lanes in Rīga, Latvia:

This year we will have the first cycle lanes on the roadway itself. Last year we had "experimental" recommending cycle lanes which didn't really work because they were a silly political campaign.

But, of course, in the pictures I showed only the best cycle paths. For some reason most see cycling infrastructure as a formality so the results all over the country are something like this:

Basically - you can have very scary experiences while riding a bicycle here. And, at the end of the day, you would no longer fear using this cycle lane:

·
:-x
6,597 Posts
Montreal:
The other thing is that, because of an awful, fatal accident between a cyclist and trucker on the edge of downtown yesterday morning, folks who went to the vigil are, insanely, CLAMOURING for sidewalks to have lines painted down the middle, such that cyclists use one side and pedestrians the other .. who on earth had been raising those youth, eh? :weird:

·
Mexican & CampechanianBoy
8,250 Posts
San Francisco de Campeche, Mexico, Metropolitan Sealwalk

41 - 60 of 142 Posts