Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any topic talking about that, despite I think is something that can happen to every person who rides a bicycle occasionally. Concretely, I had a bicycle stolen 4 years ago, and since that I use much more the bike-sharing system of my city.

This morning I saw a new saying that in my city (Sevilla) is decreasing the number of bicycles stolen while is also decreasing the number of people who use the bike-sharing system. IMO the advantages of this system over using a normal bicycle are 3:

a) You can go to a place by bicycle but return in a different transport. You don't depend on "my bicycle is in this street, so that I shouldn't move very far"

b) You don't have to repair it when it's broken and you don't need to be some days without cycling if the repairing needs a long time

c) The public bicycles are not stolen as often as the private bicycles, and if they are stolen you can always find another in the same station.

So, what could happen if one of this 3 advantages disappear? Probably the people would use less the bike sharing-system, and looking in the internet I found that there are very interesting inventions for avoiding the robberies. Concretely, I found these website http://www.nadiemelaroba.cl/.
It includes a good video for the explanation of this system:
(I promise that is not my intention to do spam and that I don't win money with this)

(I promise that is not my intention to do spam and that I don't win money with this)

In there, if someone wants to steal the bicycle, probably will have to break it, so that stealing it is useless.

What do you think about this? Are there a lot of steals in your city/country? Do you think there will be a day when bicycles are not stolen?
And what I really want to know... have you seen more good inventions for avoiding the thefts of private bicycles?

I want to know what is done in the parts of the world were there are less robbery, what a society needs to do for avoiding this

·
Gay love is love too
14,367 Posts
Not so sure about this bike where the seat is the lock. I think petty thieves might smash it and leave it, for spite. I've had this happen to me once: the lock was too strong so they couldn't open it (but it was clearly damaged). Out of resentment, the thieves had then trashed the bike.

Small note: the proper term is bicycle theft. Robbery implies your bike was taken from you at gun point. Very scary, but a different subject. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
In Holland, the best way to prevent bike theft is to make sure your bike is more secure and less valuable then its neighbour. Bicycle thiefs usually operate within 1 minute, so if they can't get your bike in 1 minute, you're save. Bicycle projects will probable increase bicycle theft, since the bike isn't yours and therefore people won't secure it as good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts