SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Big Rustbelt cities vs. Small/midsized Sunbelt cities

5696 57
Which do you see poised to perform better in the years to come: big Rustbelt cities (e.g., Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh) or small/midsized Sunbelt cities (e.g., Raleigh, Huntsville, Jacksonville), and why?

P.S.--I'm considering metro/urbanized area populations when I speak of size.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Ummm, this is WAY too subjective......:|
Detriot, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are way bigger than Raleigh, Hunstville and Jacksonville. Not to mention all of those cities dont compare with each other very well......Raleigh is very different from the other 2 "Sunbelt" cities and even more different from the "Rustbelt" cities. That goes for all of them.
The Sunbelt cities are doing much better than the Rustbelt cities now. But the Rustbelt cities have much better infastructure in place because they have matured a while back. The Sunbelt cities still have maturing to do.:tiasd:
Which do you see poised to perform better in the years to come: big Rustbelt cities (e.g., Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh) or small/midsized Sunbelt cities (e.g., Raleigh, Huntsville, Jacksonville), and why?

P.S.--I'm considering metro/urbanized area populations when I speak of size.
You do realize that Raleigh is part of the "Triangle" area, dont you?
Raleigh is very much connected to Durham and Chapel-Hill; hence the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel-Hill (Triangle) area..... RTP... RDU.... Raleigh does not operate by itself.
:cheers:
But I agree: You cant really compare these.....too many differences besides size.
Just as an example of the cities mentioned in your first post, here are the GMP (Gross Metropolitan Product - 2004) of each of these areas in billions, and how much they were up from 2001 (rounded up to nearest billion):

Detroit: $176 (+ $16 billion)
Pittsburgh:$92.6 (+ 11 billion)
Cleveland: $83.6 (+ $8 billion)
Jacksonville: $48.6 (+ $8 billion)
Raleigh: $36.1 (+ $6 billion)
Huntsville: $13.9 (+ $3 billion)

Really, comparing similar-sized cities would be a better comparison.
Ummmm, riiiiiiight.......
Why are you comparing Minneapolis to Raleigh when Minneapolis isnt even a "Rustbelt" city? :weirdo:
If you are gonna do that, then I will make a better comparison to Minneapolis: Charlotte

:cheers:
Just wondering why you would ever, ever, compare Raleigh, Huntsville and Jacksonville to Minneapolis, Detroit or Cleveland...

Will Raleigh ever look like Minneapolis???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.