SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
checkout the latest winner of the Billabong Big Wave award
It was awarded to american brad Gerlach. he rode the 22m giant last dec in Todos Santos, New Mexico.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Have you seen the film, ie Billabong Odyssey? Great stuff (although the movie's best scene is the opening scene).

·
Registered
76,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill have to check it out. i want to know how these guys come back to surface if there dumped by a 20m wave? i mean i get smashed by 2-3m wavs here at Umina and take 10sec to resurface.so add 20m with thousands of tones of water and turbulence, , not good.

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
unbelieveable the size of some of those monsters!! staggers me that a wave can develop so big.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
ive been surfing for about 3 years now every day and living on the gold coast its hard to surf big surf becouse theres uselly small waves but 1 month ago there was a cyclone and the news seid there was 17m waves at north stratty
then there was more swell like a week later and it was like nice and sunny with solid 9 foot sets at buleigh heads it was proberly the biggest surf i had ever surfed but seeing these pix i thaught those were big but looking at these i am shamed out bein scered of 9 foot waves how could they surf that thats just crazy
this is proberly the biggest photo ive got of myself surfing but nuthing compered to 50 foot jaws lol

sorry about the bad quality

·
Registered
76,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey well done broadie.thats big enough. i dont surf but i use a rescue board, as im a surflife saver at our local. i love the whole training aspect and lifestyle of the beach. i compete reg at carnivals. love competing.f.u.n

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
broadie that a custom board you got there? looks nice (and expensive!) looks like a 6 footer, or even shorter!?

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
12ft+ forecast for the Mornington Peninsula tommorow so I am going to go down to get some pics.

Bells will be firing as well for the Ripcurl Pro with up to 10ft.

These images were captured on April 9 and are thought to be the largest waves ever surfed in Australia at an undisclosed loction near the Victorian/New South Wales border:

Scary shit:

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
The other site which is a contender for the largest waves in Austalia iis Shipsterns Bluff in Tasmania:

·
Registered
76,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
^ wow, thats a lot of tonnage above. these guys are either crazy/sillybilly/dingbat looloo or one bravesonofabitch!
btw, the record of longest continous ride of wave was made recently. it was in yesterdays paper. forget most details but ride lasted 10km or 41mins. lol

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
12ft+ forecast for the Mornington Peninsula tommorow so I am going to go down to get some pics.
pls get some pics and post them grollo, I want to go down but have to work!!

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
lol
i remeber in the summer i was at cott on a shitty 20 degree day and it was all cloudy and stormy and there were 10 or 11 footers (not surfing just down their with friends) and once we got our there i was absoluetly shitting myself haha.. i cant imagine actually surfing the monsters in the pics above

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Lightning~Bolt said:
broadie that a custom board you got there? looks nice (and expensive!) looks like a 6 footer, or even shorter!?
i got my board for half price at a secondhand surfshop for around 350$
but it hasent been surfed yet before i got it but its really good i have around 4 boards but thats my fave

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
ah ok cool, what length is it, looks shirt of a 6 footer? easy to manuvour?

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Those waves are insane.

How many people die doing this every year? One of those things lands on top of you surely you are going to get the thumping of a lifetime.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts