Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
НН
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the most annoying architectural losses in your cities, due to wars, bombardment or some other kinds of demolition?

In Belgrade there have been to many of them.. but here's some I personally regret very much...

The bridge of king Aleksandar I

The bridge of king Petar

The postal building at Savski square

The Old Belgrade Fair complex

"Srpski kralj" hotel

Second male high school

And of course, not to mention the entire mediaval Belgrade, destroyed almost 100%....

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=462441

·
Registered
79 Posts
What are the most annoying architectural losses in your cities, due to wars, bombardment or some other kinds of demolition?

In Belgrade there have been to many of them.. but here's some I personally regret very much...

The bridge of king Aleksandar I

The bridge of king Petar

The postal building at Savski square

The Old Belgrade Fair complex

"Srpski kralj" hotel

Second male high school

And of course, not to mention the entire mediaval Belgrade, destroyed almost 100%....

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=462441

Very nice indeed. Especially the first bridge and the Post.

This is a very special church destroyed by the communists in Russe in 1975:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
all of warsaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Destroyed by germans in 1944 after warsaw uprising,:bash:

^^ 1940

^^ without the orthodox church the church was torn down in the interwar period because it reminded varsovians of Russian occupation...Now they would have to destroy 70% of the city if they wanted to forget communism:bash:

^^ thats were PKiN is

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
Temple of Christ the Saviour, blown up by the order of Stalin

Pic shows rebuilt version, constructed around 2000, the original is lost forever.

It was blown up to clear the space for Palace of Soviets:

It's construction started, but was canceled because of WWII, so it's too can be considered a loss due to war.

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
I cannot agree with you, it's great. I think that the vision of Moscow Stalin had in mind, that was never realised due to war was a biggest loss in Moscow's history.

·
Registered
589 Posts
O f****! Palace of Soviets is really terrible. Stalin was freak!:) But if russians built this monster it to make a strong impression. In Warsaw we got a smallest stalin's gift: PKIN:)

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
^^ u guys are lucky that thing was never built!!!!!!!! its absolutly shockingly horrible, Stalin must have been Drunk when he irdered this to be built...man u guys should be happy that the skyline is not dominated by such a monstrosity
I think it looks awesome! Maybe a more neutral figure on top though, the rest is cool. It looks so powerful:drool:

·
НН
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree! It should be rebuilt.

I would say, for Budapest, the medieval gothic palace of Buda. Destroyed in the siege of 1686.

-Ataman
It would be great if that palace in Budapest still existed, but the current one is great, ok not really a good reconstruction by communist but you could give it the appereance it had before WW2.

·
Banned
9,467 Posts
Very nice indeed. Especially the first bridge and the Post.

This is a very special church destroyed by the communists in Russe in 1975:

I think that they are in the process of rebuilding it, if I am not mistaken.

@ Cracovia

WOW!!I knew that Warsaw was destroyed by the bombardements during WW2 but God what did they do to this beautiful city...:eek:hno: Do you know what percentage of the historical city was destroyed and what percentage was rebuilt later on?

·
Some user
613 Posts
It would be great if that palace in Budapest still existed, but the current one is great, ok not really a good reconstruction by communist but you could give it the appereance it had before WW2.
I would rather see a gothic castle looking down onto the Danube than a monsterous neo-baroque palace. I have created a thread for this purpose:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=452965

Yes it's a huge shame for Warsaw :(
The Palace isn't an ugly building though. Better that than a commieblock from the 60's.

-Ataman

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
WOW!!I knew that Warsaw was destroyed by the bombardements during WW2 but God what did they do to this beautiful city...:eek:hno: Do you know what percentage of the historical city was destroyed and what percentage was rebuilt later on?
^^ 85% of the City was destroyed completley the Germans systematicaly destroyed street after street after the Warsaw uprising as revenge. Part of the old town was rebuilt, but it never returned to its original state we cut corners and although we done a great job rebuilding the historical parts of the city (rebuilding is still going on) then they are not like the originals. After the war everybody gave 5% of their wages to funds to rebuild warsaw and for instance in many towns unused or unneeded buldings were taken apart and the bricks were sent to warsaw..the town was rebuilt chaoticaly though and any one in warsaw will realise this.
Ps i forgot to add the other 15% of the city was badly damaged

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.