SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know about never built or visions or other fantasy projects, which amazed people, but as their name says, were never built.
Now, the topic of the thread is to show the biggest never built projects of your city/country, but please don't post about a giant villa that wasn't built in the local village, that makes no sense ;)
Instead what I'm looking for is the gigantic 8th Stalin sister in Moscow, or the plan for Belgrade's city centre that newworld posted recently, etc.
And with some luck, we can find some old unknown projects

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
there was some 56 story building for Tirana which was proposed by a local investor but never got off the ground. might still get a chance later on though.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Well here's the 8th Sister

Also here's the original Moscow City. The idea was developed in the early 1990s. However, most (most likely all) of the skyscrapers in the original project were never built

Sorry if the pictures are small but I couldn't find any larger.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Let's not forget Albert Speer's plans for Berlin. The big dome! And many more...

Somebody should post them. Because I don't know how. :dunno:

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Initial reconstruction project for Kyiv, in 1944. This is the place of Independence Square and Hreshatyk.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That Kyiv square actually doesnt look so bad, although that building with a gran staircase is a bit awkward.

As far as Belgrade goes, i remember Europolis which was a project without any concrete renderings or really ideas for that matter, it was supposed to be a revitalization of the grounds of the Sava Amphitheatre in the area where the old Tran station and rail yard was. It was supposed to go hand in hand with total river bank regulation and bringing Belgrade back to its rivers. It never happened but revitalization will have to be re-innitiated when the railway station actually does move in a few years. I expect it to be one of the most exciting development zones in Europe by that time, its a great space and in dire need to architectural rounding. Sorry there are no renderings. This project was mainly used in Milosevic's electoral campaigns to keep people excited...

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Some from Riga (mainly highrises):
- Some 60 m high Riga City Council building proposal - 1901

- Rebuilding of Riga Old City (read - removal of Old City to build this nightmare) - 1939. They planned to build this 160 m high tower. War started and Old Riga was not demolished ("just bombed")

- Krasta Street south from Old City, early 1960ies. Now, 40 years later this street is planning several (I know about 11 but could be more) highrises up to 40 floors indeed.

- Big parts of Riga Art Nouveau Centrum were doomed by city planners in late 1960ies. Here - group of 20 - 30 floor highrises in Boulevards. Leftmost was built - Hotel Latvia.

- middle 1970ies, brutalist highrises along A. Deglava Street planned. They also planned to dig the street deeper to make crossing it easier. That could be good idea indeed. Highrises were not built. In the place there the highest is standing, now are built two 24-floor apartment towers.

- Hotel "Sputnik" - oh this "sweet' brutalist arhcitecture! It was planned at Deglava Street (east from Centrum)

- Kipsala highrise district as seen back in 1986. Only Preses nams exists (in the middle). Happily this was not built... because something higher is planned now ;)

- The same - late 1980ies. Big and ugly hotel "Sheraton" in the site of current Saules akmens highrises was planned

- Sarlotes centrs, proposal from 1999 (around 35 floors). This is located in Centrum - thus it was not allowed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts