Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
29,113 Posts
As a driver in New York I'm not fond of bikers. As a biker you don't need to respect any traffic laws, you can go on all red lights and it's illegal for cars to honk at you. There are very few designated bike lanes.

I don't know how safe it is.

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
i'm a bike messenger and can tell you that the only 'safe' bike lane in the city is on 9th avenue, from 14th-23rd street. bike lanes (4 foot wide stripe painted parallel to the parked cars) in nyc are death traps for the most part; drivers double park over them, hook bikers while making aggressive turns onto cross streets and cabs squeeze bikers into the parked cars to pick up/drop off passengers. if you're just cruising around and stay real careful, it's not too bad, but i personally avoid bike lanes as much as possible because i ride way too fast to risk having someone jump into the street or a car door opening in front of me. - a really nice/safe ride is along the hudson river (dedicated bike path, no vehicles) into the 60s and crossing east to central park.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Riding in the city streets isn't really very safe. The thing I hate the most are the stupid truck drivers that honk becuase you're in their way. I'll admit it could be very intimidating having a really large truck breathing on your back. And then there are the taxis, I lost count of the many times I've almost slammed into doors opening without warning. And then there are the jay walkers that pop out from crevices and jump out in your path as you swirve to the left to avoid a collision. Dedicated bike lanes? They aren't realling respected by drivers who tend to park right on the damn things... All in all, I say you'd enjoy your ride. It's realling exciting!

·
Banned
29,113 Posts
It's best not to use bikes in the city, it's very frustrating for you and most of all for the drivers.

Besides, the interesting part of Manhattan isn't that enormous and it's all in walkable distances, just walk around and enjoy the skyscrapers. Interesting NYC: From 59th down to 34th north-south and from 8th ave to Lexington west-east. Unless you have some kind of a problem with your legs, I suggest walking :)

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
It's best not to use bikes in the city, it's very frustrating for you and most of all for the drivers.
it may be frustrating for drivers, but the fact of the matter is, a biker can break virtually every traffic law in the book with zero consequences and that's what makes the bicycle (with an experienced rider) the fastest and most nimble form of transportation in the city. if i busted my ass, i could get to the battery from anywhere in midtown in under 20 minutes; the only thing beating that is a helicopter. :nuts:

Besides, the interesting part of Manhattan isn't that enormous and it's all in walkable distances, just walk around and enjoy the skyscrapers. Interesting NYC: From 59th down to 34th north-south and from 8th ave to Lexington west-east. Unless you have some kind of a problem with your legs, I suggest walking
i agree. if you're from out of town, just walking around the island is always one of the best and least stressful things to do.

·
Banned
29,113 Posts
it may be frustrating for drivers, but the fact of the matter is, a biker can break virtually every traffic law in the book with zero consequences and that's what makes the bicycle (with an experienced rider) the fastest and most nimble form of transportation in the city. if i busted my ass, i could get to the battery from anywhere in midtown in under 20 minutes; the only thing beating that is a helicopter. :nuts:
I, as a driver, hate you :) can you at least not go on red lights? It's so easy to kill you guys, and when we finally do, it's going to be us going to jail :(

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
I, as a driver, hate you :) can you at least not go on red lights? It's so easy to kill you guys, and when we finally do, it's going to be us going to jail :(
haha, that's okay :lol: believe it or not, i take tons of variables into account and stay very calculated when i run red lights. i probably focus on a half dozen things when i'm trying to figure out when and how i should be crossing an intersection. the overall goal is to get through while interfering with traffic flow as little as possible. - i can't speak for the actually insane bikers who eat lights with their eyes closed though. those are the guys who get themselves run over by trucks.

·
Banned
29,113 Posts
I saw several car accidents caused directly by crazy bikers who run red lights, the biker got away fine, but several cars clashed together.

·
Euro Mod
17,277 Posts
Gee! Didn't know this aspect of NYC.:lol: Skipping the part where I tell you that Bucharest is by far more dangerous for bikers even with some dedicated bike lanes on the sidewalk, I'd like to know if it's really a law that allows bikers to break any (other) laws or iis it just that they usually get away with it because the police don't bother enforcing the law in the first case.

I mean... I know jaywalking is illegal in NYC, but you get away with it, unlike in some other parts of the US so I'm thinking maybe this whole crazy bikers thing is similar to that.

Please tell me it's like that!:lol:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Just Bike around Central Park or do Central Park up to East 96th and then bike east to the FDR along the promanade or do the westside If you want more of an endurence the westside is better the east side for speed and cruising with the river on one side and the cars zipping by you plus the guard rail

·
Super Moderator
11,319 Posts
when I first arrived in New York, me on my bike seemed as foreign to the streets as an alien spaceship.

But in the following years I noticed a real change in people's attitudes, so I will say that compared to before, biking in New York has gotten better.
I wouldn't call it perfect, I know other cities that have done so much more to become really bike-friendly, but I think NY is slowly getting there.

Now you, as a tourist, I will strongly discourage you of visiting the city by bike, especially not the tourist areas.

But if you have some free time and bikes to ride, and aren't scared, then there are some good bike lanes on the peripheries to follow.
It isn't a bad idea to go along the hudson parkway, a direct undisrupted bike lane from battery park all the way to the old fairway market at 125th, and if you are adventurous, I have already circled the whole of Manhattan, there are bike lanes along the Hudson river, from 155th to 207th in Inwood. There are some bike lanes in Harlem you can use to get across. I will say the hardest part is the east side, especially the lower east side, up to the UN and then to the Queensboro. Afterwards however, a bikelane can get you all the way to the triboro, and a little before that you can actually get on the Hell's gate pedestrian bridge onto Randall's and Ward's islands (although I did that many years ago, I think those islands' parks were being rebuilt last year, not sure if they're done). That place is pretty fun, especially on the summer, vast lawns, lots and lots of latinos setting up bbqs, loud music, and pickup footie games, pretty fun, as I said. Also, you get amazing, and relatively fresh and unique, views towards Manhattan (the night view from up above on the Triboro is incredible). Now, once on the island, you can also continue on a bikelane ramp and cross into the Bronx. And continue your adventure, a possible goal could be going to the Yankees stadium(s), and from there cross the bridge lane to 155th into Manhattan.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to get on the ferry with your bikes to Staten Island, and ride to the boardwalk

but then again, as a tourist, unfamiliar with the traffic and people of New York, I wouldn't go around biking. Walking is your best bet, with some good shoes, you can get pretty far around Manhattan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts