Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill Shorten accused of raping 16-year-old girl in 1986

Victim set to tell all in coming days.

Bill Shorten goes public about rape claim.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has revealed he was the “senior Labor figure” subject to rape allegations made in October last year.

After an investigation by Victoria’s Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Unit concluded on Thursday, there was no case and no charges would be laid, a relieved but angry Mr Shorten spoke out.

“The allegations were untrue and abhorrent,” said Mr Shorten, who was 19 at the time of the alleged incident.

“The allegation was made by someone that I knew briefly at the time.

Posted claims on Facebook

“At about 4am, there was a knock at my door. It was him at the door. He pushed me into a bathroom, up against a towel rail, pulled down my pants and raped me.”

http://www.afr.com/p/national/bill_shorten_goes_public_about_rape_fX0VZNWFQMsUn56PvWGuCP

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
This is unfortunate for Shorten as it ultimately leaves him a limbo on this matter for the rest of his life. For the DPP to cite "no reasonable prospect of conviction" does not mean the suspect has been cleared or is indeed innocent. It just means there is not enough evidence of a possible crime from 30 years ago with just two people having different perspectives of what occurred.
There could well be enough evidence though for a civil action against Shorten.
His political career is effectively over.

·
Watch my Chops
6,056 Posts
He'll bleed a few votes to the Greens, but if this was a claim made against someone from the other side of politics perhaps the result would a less vapid response from the true left.

·
Registered
12,949 Posts
I just saw this still popping up...goes to show once out of the bag people will squeeze this story for all it's worth...I wouldn't have a clue if he did it or didn't...no body will ever know but it's out there hangin' in the breeze...

PS...throw in a 'Tony Abbott' to muddy the waters...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah, he's of good character, and was investigated for rape don't sort of go together.

I guess Cliff Richard feels his pain.

However, I think it was a good decision and come clean first as his detractors would of had a field day.

·
Registered
12,949 Posts
Well he's been cleared of any wrongdoing, still interested to see what this women has to say.
In reality it's not that he has been cleared or not. The police can't pursue this any further as nothing can come of it...no evidence except words from a person that may be telling the truth or just trying to damage Shorten after feeling he let Rudd down. After such a long time so it's done, finished.
I know the media has known about this for some time but no one wanted to comment without firm evidence...I know if the same issues were against Tony Abbott the media including the ABC and some on here would have shown the same restraint. Sure, they would...

Reactions: Danubis

·
Go for it!
1,502 Posts
How come the woman to decide to raise this when Shorten becomes Opposition Leader?

I smell a rat and its called money.

Anyone can accuse anybody of anything but you need hard evidence for these sort of allegations to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There's a huge difference between punching a wall and rape.
Another important difference I think, is that the alleged wall punching claim was from one of Abbott's political enemies, whilst the alleged rape claims against Shorten was from someone in the same team.
Then the media had an absolute field day for weeks and weeks on the TA wall punching allegation, while the BS rape allegation seems totally taboo.
Balanced media?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
There's a huge difference between punching a wall and rape.
Another important difference I think, is that the alleged wall punching claim was from one of Abbott's political enemies, whilst the alleged rape claims against Shorten was from someone in the same team.
Then the media had an absolute field day for weeks and weeks on the TA wall punching allegation, while the BS rape allegation seems totally taboo.
Balanced media?
The media also ran many stories about the Robert Hughes allegations before he was found guilty, I recall seeing a number of interviews on one of the 6.30 shows.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts