SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Creative 1
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These photos are from the new Biltmore Park Town Square development, in Asheville, NC. This is a good quality place if you like new urban lifestyle centers. As shown, there is still quite a bit of construction underway, but the outer shell is nearly complete. To see a larger version of each photo, click the provided links and then the "All Sizes" icon on the flickr page.

For more information about this photo, click here.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts

i love this shot...instant good grit.

does this development properly connect with its surroundings or is it in a "bubble?" i don't like the bubble developments.

-

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like a bubble. It's 11 miles south (driving) of Asheville surrounded by cul-de-sacs. Nice looking development, though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is a peculiar bubble. I like the fact they aren't just making large plots of land with single housing everywhere though. THis actually looks like it could be community-oriented.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Skyliner I really like developments like this, Thanks for the tour. On our way to New Orleans this year a friend of ours that lives in Lafayette, Louisiana invited us to stop by. They lived in one of these beautiful urban lifestyle centers in the middle of the city. Didn't take any pics but found a link www.riverranchdevelopment.com/ check it and the pics section out. Very impressive also.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Looks like a nice but generic development. I would have expected a little more uniqueness from Asheville :dunno:
It's a suburban New Urbanist development. Those pretty much look the same no matter where you go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Suburban location or not. The truth is that most of us in Charlotte would KILL for something like this next to the IKEA on City Blvd. Way to go Asheville!

·
The Creative 1
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

i love this shot...instant good grit.

does this development properly connect with its surroundings or is it in a "bubble?" i don't like the bubble developments.

-[/QUOTE]It is located in a bubble, but a well connected bubble directly next to I-26. This mixed-use development seems fairly well planned, with plenty of incorporated residential space and "hidden" parking garges scattered evenly throughout. It is also a great place to run and walk. I could definitely live there.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Suburban location or not. The truth is that most of us in Charlotte would KILL for something like this next to the IKEA on City Blvd.
I'd rather see an all-encompassing plan to overhaul UC altogether, if one doesn't already exist. It's my least favorite part of town by far. Even Ballantyne gives you more to work with IMO.

·
VA is for LOVERS!
716 Posts
the only bad thing with biltmore park is that the roads are not very wide
Usually in a 'planned community' like that, narrower streets are preferred over wide streets. Narrow streets help control the flow/speed of traffic and narrower streets are more pedestrian friendly than wider ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts