·
Registered
101,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Crowd spellbound by regatta
Thursday June 15, 2006
By SHARON LING
TheStar

S peed and skill kept the crowd spellbound when the Bintulu Regatta was held for the first time in 10 years on Kemena River.

The three-day event received over 260 entries in various race categories from traditional longboats to modern speedboats and Formula 2 powerboats.

Two types of longboats were featured in the regatta, the Iban temuai and the narrow bidar for between 10 and 30 paddlers.

There was also a category for longboats powered by outboard engines.

The first day of the event saw races in the speedboat and powerboat categories as well as the outboard engine longboat category.

In the next two days, rowers from all over Sarawak and Brunei battled it out in the bidar and temuai races.

Organised by Bintulu Development Authority, the regatta also featured 13 side events for the public, including a beauty contest for children, a decorated boat contest and a concert by Akademi Fantasia 3 artistes.

A badang air contest provided some fun with contestants trying to knock one another off a bamboo pole into the river with gunny sacks.

Sarawak Bumiputera Chamber of Commerce joined the event by holding the Bintulu Trade Expo while Sarawak Economic Development Corporation held a food fair.

·
Registered
101,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bintulu is one of the fastest growing town in Sarawak. Typical weekend in Bintulu
by Savuini

Although a relatively small town - Bintulu has plenty of places to unwind. Dotting this street, there are at least 4 entertainment outlets - pubs and discos.

Bintulu wet market
Busy street. Pedestrians trying to cross busy street in the middle of the town

City Point - one of the favorite meeting points in Bintulu. On a typical weekend the complex will be crowded by Indonesian workers. It makes you feel like being at an Indonesian cities. In 2004, Bintulu population was estimated to be more than 180,000 peoples from merely 70,00 in 1970s.

Bintulu Taxi station
Bintulu taxi station. Unlike taxi drivers in KL, these taxi guys in Bintulu worthy of praises. Once I forgot my bag, and worst my wallet full of cash was inside it. To my surprise they returned it to me an hour later without a single things inside the bag being touched.

·
Registered
101,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
3 Malaysian ports post double-digit growth
January 22 2007
BusinessTimes

THREE major Malaysian ports posted double-digit growth in container handling last year, pushing the overall growth rate for the country towards 13 per cent in 2006.

Bintulu Port led the way, up 30 per cent, followed by Westports in Port Klang with 26 per cent and Port of Tanjung Pelepas (PTP) in Johor with a 14 per cent increase from 2005.

However, it is a different story at four other major ports, whose container throughput grew between 1 per cent and 7 per cent last year.

Malaysian ports grew at an impressive 13 per cent last year, handling 13.6 million TEUs (20-foot equivalent units) from 12 million TEUs in 2005.

They grew only 4.5 per cent in 2005, from a throughput of 11.5 million TEUs in 2004.

Like previous years, Port Klang, comprising Westports and Northport, managed the most containers, with 6.3 million TEUs last year compared with 5.5 million TEUs in 2005.

This was followed by PTP with 4.77 million TEUs last year, from 4.17 million TEUs in 2005.

However, on an individual port basis, PTP maintained its position as the country's biggest container port by volume.

Westports came in as the country's second largest port with 3.67 million TEUs, followed by Northport with 2.66 million TEUs.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Gosh, thanks ever so much for those pics of the old airport ! Never been there myself but heard much about it's proximity to town centre. Those pics really put everything into proper perspective !

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
^^ i will be in bintulu next week. hopefully within next week or week after that i could snap a few pictures around park city and its mall.

·
::emzeti from MALAYSIA::
443 Posts
^^ i will be in bintulu next week. hopefully within next week or week after that i could snap a few pictures around park city and its mall.
oh okay..try your best..

emm..btw where are u now TJ? are u malaysian?:)

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,128 Posts
the sea looks awesome, triple-j!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
ParkCity Mall

as requested by kuchingbite, this is the new development of new mall located in parkcity. parkcity is very close from parkcity everly hotel (just across the street) and just about 2-3 minutes away from the bintulu town. the building on top of the mall is most likely to be apartments as here in bintulu we do not need highrises for offices.

parkcity

the unnamed mall

the building from afar

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Resorts/Apartment

Not quite sure whether this development is a resort or apartments.
Anyhow, it located at Tanjung Batu which is about 5 minutes away from Park City and about 8 minutes from Bintulu Town.

The Resort or Apartment

The surrounding view 1

The surrounding view 2

The other side of the buildings

·
Registered
416 Posts
GOOD JOB triple-j!:banana:

^^ Parkcity Mall looks huge!:nuts: and so beautiful!

Full of glasses, really make the building looks more classes.:banana:

Wow! how many storey of that building? (condomium)

Nice to see more high rise building in our state.

Bintulu is growing fast as before, maybe it will catching up Sibu in the near future.:banana:

Please keep posting those news here, thanks.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I like the mall, decent in size and also in the amount of glasses, from your photos, it looks like Focus Point and Marrybrown will be there......what is the anchor tenant for this mall?

·
Registered
101,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
BHB Injecting RM400 Mln Into 5-Year Development Of Bintulu Port
April 21, 2007 21:07 PM

KUCHING, April 21 (Bernama) -- Bintulu Port Holdings Bhd (BHB) is investing about RM400 million until 2010 to develop the port into a centre for bulk fertilisers, wood based products and major transshipment cargo, its chief executive officer Mior Ahmad Baiti Mior Lub Ahmad said today.

He said this involves, among others, building a new multipurpose terminal, a container stacking yard, warehouses and cargo handling equipment.

He told reporters after BHB's annual general meeting here that the development will expand the container terminal capacity from 400,000 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) to 650,000 TEUs by 2010.

The liquefied natural gas (LNG) handling capacity is also to be increased from 22.7 million tonnes to 23.9 million tonnes in 2009.

With LNG being the single largest cargo handled by the port, he said BHB expects LNG shipments to rise following plans by Petronas to increase production at its MLNG plants in Bintulu and the commissioning of a feed gas pipeline from Sabah to Bintulu.

"Petrochemicals is one business prospect that we are looking at for the future but for now, we are developing our capacity for dry bulk cargo as well as for the pulp (and paper) project (in Bintulu) that has been slated to commence operation in the first quarter of 2010," he added.

On the 35 percent growth in container volume handled at the port last year, Mior Ahmad Baiti said the increase was due to the successful operational transfer of local shipping companies from the rivers in Bintulu to the port, improvement in transshipment cargo volume from ports in Sabah and Sarawak, as well as increased cargo exports by industries around Bintulu.

A total of 199,704 TEUs of containers were handled last year compared to 147,800 TEUs in 2005 and he said that based on the current forecasts, containerised cargo throughput is expected to increase by another 16 percent this year.

Meanwhile, BHB chairman Tun Mohd Eusoffe Chin in his statement for the meeting said the group had made a pre-tax profit of RM175.21 million last year from a total revenue of RM410.07 million.

"The board has recommended a final gross dividend of 10 sen per share and a special gross dividend of 10 sen per share to be paid on 30 May," he added.

-- BERNAMA

21 - 40 of 1060 Posts