Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sandwell Council will this week be asked to approve plans for a “hamburger-style” junction at Birchley Island, at junction 2 of the M5 motorway.

The proposal has been supported by the Black Country Local Enterprise Partnership, which has earmarked a contribution of £16.1m towards the costs of the scheme. This offer is dependent on the money being spent by the end of 2021.

The West Midlands Combined Authority is also helping to fund the project.

The Council is planning to compulsorily purchase land around the existing Birchley Island to facilitate the scheme.

A hamburger junction is a type of junction that connects one major road with a number of minor roads using a circled traffic technique.

The leader of Sandwell Council, Steve Eling, said: “This is welcome news because the Birchley Island is a very congested junction which causes long delays and frustration for thousands of local motorists and drivers passing through.”

The existing junction has a poor safety record of 32 injury accidents in the last five years. The scheme is designed to improve road safety through improved junction control, lane marking and better pedestrian and cycling facilities.

Eling added: “The main problem is that the island is used by so many motorists who do not have an alternative route to the motorways or into Oldbury. It is a junction I avoid at all times.

“The new hamburger system will improve the congestion problems though it will always be a busy junction and the improvements will have a positive effect on bus services and for local motorists.”

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/west...e-junction-relieve-congestion-birchley-island

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Does really anyone really think this is the solution to congestion at Birchley Island? The Leader of Sandwell MBC said there will still be congestion once built. They are also talking with a developer for an Outlet Centre on the Lion Farm Playing Fields which I assume will be accessed from the same Island.
Mr Eling seems to be an expert on a junction he admittedly never uses. What he claims it's the only route to get into Oldbury? Well what does he propose an extra junction because no matter what they build at Birchley it will still be the only route into Oldbury. If you get off at the A456 junction to get to Oldbury via Halesowen & Blackheath the driver will still have to navigate Birchley.

So really only a completely new re-imagining of Junction 2 & Birchley which would cost megabucks the only true solution

·
Registered
28,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see a few issues with the plan

There’s only 1 lane of traffic through the island which i don’t think will speed up the backlog enough

From experience the direction from Hagley rd to the island isn’t actually that bad generally, the traffic from the other direction is as is the approaches from the a4034 in each direction

The motorway slip road traffic signals will only add to problems as can be seen by the current slow moving m5 causing backlogs

Leaving toys r us retail park you now can’t turn right towards Hagley Road? Surely that adds more traffic to the island?

Could they not scrap the exit for dunelm/Halfords from the island and have it off the a4034 with dedicated turning lanes

I think the hamburger should be m5 to a4123 towards Dudley

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,769 Posts
It might seem like I do, but I honestly don't! I don't look at many of the construction threads so probably miss quite a bit but Birchley Island is a place I know fairly well and am interested in what's going on there.

Then the very first post in this thread kind of provoked me to comment. :D

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
23,851 Posts
I often use the hamburger island in Ladywood and find it no quicker than what was there before. Good luck with this one!
Agreed, these islands work well if the sensors are switched on, you can find yourself sitting at Ladywood for minutes while there's no traffic on the roundabout.

·
Simples
6,803 Posts
I often use the hamburger island in Ladywood and find it no quicker than what was there before. Good luck with this one!
Largely because it wasn't previously signalised so it worked better at quiet times.

Birchley already is so it should work

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I don’t know the traffic movement here but it would seem to me like the burger island wil take a great deal of traffic off the roundabout itself.
It will be the build up of traffic on the Island at any one time which will queue blocking up the Island. If they give through road the same bias as Burntree it will be chaos getting off the motorway, Oldbury & Blackheath.

·
...Ready for departure.
12,076 Posts
Hate hamburger roundabouts. Cheap, crappy 'solution' that makes little to no difference to traffic. Just build an under pass like the one at Lancaster Circus by the old fire station.

Reactions: nigeman
1 - 20 of 33 Posts