Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Michael
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A "memory hook" is something (word, words, etc) that make a product instantly recognisable and stand out in a crowd.

e.g. "the world's favourite airline" or "Vorsprung Durch Technik". Very familiar.

My proposal is that....
Birmingham needs a (new) "memory hook"

You may have had (be having) this discussion on SSC, but lets keep it to a straightforward list of suggestions that could be used UK and world wide.

(No discussion, just your suggestions please)

Here's one to start it off:...

City of a thousand trades - true now as it was when first used

·
Registered
73 Posts
i like the Bullring tagline of "things get more interesting the closer you get to the centre" and the big city plans centriCITY, i think that brums central location in the country should be its selling point.

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
well we have a current tag at moment, 'a global city with a local heart'

i'd say that Bullring tag is far too wordy for catchy tag; the big city one is more snappy.

Didn't we used to have a tag to do with being heart anyway? i.e. our city council logo is a heart.

London's tag of World in One City says it all. Ours is a bit like it but obviously not that memorable yet.

·
Wheels...
4,236 Posts
Birmingham "The Capitol Of Central England"

Birmingham's "The Youngest City In Britain"

Birmingham "From Gas Lighting to Horsepower, Tolkien to Steam Engines, The Balti to Heavy Metal... Birmingham invents..."

Birmingham "Where the north leans upon and the south hangs from" ???lol or something similar...

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Birmingham "From Gas Lighting to Horsepower, Tolkien to Steam Engines, The Balti to Heavy Metal... Birmingham invents..."
I like that one Elizabeth. I quite like the emphasis on Birmingham Invents. So true when you see the legacy Birmingham has left the world.

maybe shorter version could be Birmingham: Gas lighting to Hydrogen Cars - Birmingham Invents.

p.s. good to see you back as you haven't been around for a while. :)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Global city, local heart - could be applied to hundreds of cities across the world. It's too wishy washy. In the same way the regional tourist ads all seem to look the same, Ireland, Scotland, North East, just change the name and it could be anyone of them.

What we need has to be uniuqe to Birmingham, so... what it's to be... Birmingham Invents... is a start.

·
Wheels...
4,236 Posts
I like that one Elizabeth. I quite like the emphasis on Birmingham Invents. So true when you see the legacy Birmingham has left the world.

maybe shorter version could be Birmingham: Gas lighting to Hydrogen Cars - Birmingham Invents.

p.s. good to see you back as you haven't been around for a while. :)
Cheers.. I think the invention theme runs strong through the history and hopefully the future of the city and it's people. W eneed to ensure this remains strong. I've been around Feltip, doing lots of projects as well as working full time of course, still trying to get th ecouncil interested in that Festival idea but no joy as yet, Marketing Birmingham wanted to see a business plan.... I hadn't even thought that far ahead, it was just really an idea for someone else to push forward with my help when I could afford.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Global city, local heart - could be applied to hundreds of cities across the world. It's too wishy washy. In the same way the regional tourist ads all seem to look the same, Ireland, Scotland, North East, just change the name and it could be anyone of them.

What we need has to be uniuqe to Birmingham, so... what it's to be... Birmingham Invents... is a start.
Trouble is Birmingham hasn't really invented much of note for some time, has it? Not on the scale of the Industrial Revolution. Besides, who cares? Where was the TV invented? Do you see signs up saying "Welcome to XXX home of the TV"?

It's like the crap "Coventry Inspires" bollocks (see avatar). Inspires what? People to go elsewhere. Why they don't reclaim the Lady Godiva image (A global image) and incorporate it with a bomb - say a German bomb with Lady Godiva on the side - then we'll have something. Maybe "Coventry Explodes" underneath it. Or "Please Make Coventry Explode Again".

As for Brum, who knows. What's unique about the place that would make someone from say, Devon, think "That's Birmingham" (Apart from the accent.)? The rotunda is about the only thing I can think of, and I'm not even sure many people outside Brum would even know.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Birmingham isnt the newsest city. That would be Preston :D
I believe a fair few cities have been created since Birmingham received its royal charter in the 1800s - Sunderland, Preston, Newport, Saint David's, Brighton and Hove, Wolverhampton, Leicester, Plymouth, Derby, Swansea, Portsmouth, Stoke on Trent, Salford, etc, etc.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Portsmouth got it's in 1500 something I think.
1926, as a matter of fact.

Prior to the 20th century, it was mainly old medieval Cathedral Cities that had city status & few large places that were not cathedral towns. I suspect this happened around the same time they shook up parliament so the new, large cities had proper representation in parliament.

·
Wheels...
4,236 Posts
Trouble is Birmingham hasn't really invented much of note for some time, has it? Not on the scale of the Industrial Revolution. Besides, who cares? Where was the TV invented? Do you see signs up saying "Welcome to XXX home of the TV"? .
I think there are great advances in medical research goin on... but maybe this could be a focus for the council to set up some kind of association or alike to encourage young (and old) to get inventing again.

What's unique about the place that would make someone from say, Devon, think "That's Birmingham" (Apart from the accent.)? The rotunda is about the only thing I can think of, and I'm not even sure many people outside Brum would even know.
This is good, it's precisely the reason why something like "Birmingham Invents..." could work, so next time you turn the electric kettle on and it turns off automatically you can associate that little miracle with Brum, or next time you hear a referees whistle you might think about where it came from. Of course these are small things but so many other great things, there is not enough celebration of the past in this city... it could generate great pride.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,690 Posts
I think the term 'young' was in reference to the population as we have a relatively young population on average!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts