1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Stranger things have happened. I wish the city well!

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
The other cities on the list wouldn't benefit from something like the DNC as much as Birmingham. It would bring some needed national attention to a city that deserves it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Birmingham and Jeff Co, Al are certainly a Democratic island in an otherwise Red State. Lots of African Americans and liberal whites live in Jefferson County. Birmingham and Jeff County vote Democratic. Many Democrats highly regard Birmingham's Civil Rights history; It would definitely be a historical convention......the Dem National Convention in the heart of the Deep South.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Birmingham and Jeff Co, Al are certainly a Democratic island in an otherwise Red State. Lots of African Americans and liberal whites live in Jefferson County. Birmingham and Jeff County vote Democratic. Many Democrats highly regard Birmingham's Civil Rights history; It would definitely be a historical convention......the Dem National Convention in the heart of the Deep South.
It's happened before, being held in Charleston, Charlotte, and Atlanta...but it has almost always been held outside of the South, which is strange considering the South was historically a Democratic stronghold.

Birmingham would be a perfect place for it!

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
sadly one of the Ohio cities will probably get it. would love to see it in Bham though, even if the chances of AL going blue (despite JeffCo and a few other spots) are slim to none.

-

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Birmingham is baying at the moon, together with its hope to get World Games.

It ain't happening, the DNC is not coming to Birmingham Alabama in 2016, and it does nothing to be in "consideration". It means something when you're chosen. No one remembers the names of cities who "almost" got the Olympics for example, but they remember Atlanta is win.
Good advice...no one should ever shoot for the stars. :nuts: What's wrong with having high aspirations? Your disdain for Birmingham is much worse than the "mindless boosters" you've been criticizing.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't think it will be this year primarily because Charlotte was the last DNC. Though billed as New South & Mid-Atlantic, I'd still lump them together as Southern.

I think after the next DNC, Ham should go for it. Either Birmingham, Charleston or Austin I'd like to see.

I don't think the RNC would choose Birmingham primarily because of its state name; Alabama. I think for the republicans, Mississipi & Alamaba may have a stigma.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't think it will be this year primarily because Charlotte was the last DNC. Though billed as New South & Mid-Atlantic, I'd still lump them together as Southern.

I think after the next DNC, Ham should go for it. Either Birmingham, Charleston or Austin I'd like to see.

I don't think the RNC would choose Birmingham primarily because of its state name; Alabama. I think for the republicans, Mississipi & Alamaba may have a stigma.

Good insight, unfortunately, Birmingham does not stand on its own like Atlanta or Charlotte. It's just written off as being .....Alabama, without anymore thought. Truth of the matter, there are a lot of liberals and progressives that are concentrated in major cities of the Republican south, such as Jackson, Little Rock, Memphis or Birmingham. I do not think Birmingham has much of a chance to land the convention just because its located in.......Alabama. Having the convention in Birmingham will not sway the state to vote Democratic, but it would send a strong message to the millions of Democrats in the Deep South that you are not forgotten and we are aware that you are there. The Democratic Party should reach out to these constituents and not lump everybody into one characterization.....just Alabama . Birmingham is truly a blue dot in a big red state, just like many other major population centers in the conservative south. Birmingham would provide a platform to reach all the Democratic islands throughout the South.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
laprochaine did you join the forum to criticize Birmingham? Not that criticism shouldn't be welcome. I'm just asking as it seems a little odd to join and narrowly focus on this city...
He's a troll that has bashed Bham on other sites as well.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Good luck! Birmingham has always been on my bucket list of cities to visit....from bits and pieces of what I've gathered about Birmingham, it reminds me of Richmond in several respects. Minus the being isolated in Alabama part ;)

Reactions: Stuck in Bama
1 - 20 of 23 Posts