Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An idea taken from the Leeds forum, but a Brum version.
I can name three characters to mind:

The scruffy beggar in the wheelchair that seems to go backwards rather than forwards.

The Asian tranny with the belly hanging out.

The Bosnian/Romanian Big Issue Girl by Waterstones on New Street, a voice you can hear from the other side of the country.

·
3,635 Posts
That geezer who plays the screeching bag pipes, normally found in Centenary Square. Someone needs to put us all out of our misery and tell him how awful he is.

And that Big Issue bird is hilarious.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hahaha, I know all of them.

The tramp who goes into KFC after gigs to beg for money and goes "Now I know you don't wanna buy a big issue but...."

Hes not a big issue salesman! Hes been going around with the same big issue for the last couple of months lol.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
The scruffy beggar in the wheelchair that seems to go backwards rather than forwards.
I hate him :bash:

I don't know who the tranny is though?

I see a tall oldish guy with a grey side parting that wears a raincoat and trousers that are too short quite a lot. He tends to be around St Philips area a fair bit.

I think he is an alky.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
The Asian tranny is deaf, and ever so slightly mad, can talk a little though and is fun to chat to

the guy in the wheel chair lives in ladywood and miraculously can walk when on his way home from the city centre...

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Recognise any of these?

The guy with the tash who sells potatoes at the markets and looks like he's taken way too much speed

The woman in the rag market who sells the horrible lacy dolls and sounds like she smokes 100 **** a day

The black bird near habitat who would always ask me to do a personality test despite the fact I said no 10 minutes earlier. She used to drive me potty. Haven't seen her for a while

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
The guy with the tash who sells potatoes at the markets and looks like he's taken way too much speed
His picture's on the BCC website on the page about the markets!

The woman in the rag market who sells the horrible lacy dolls and sounds like she smokes 100 **** a day
She doesn't work in the markets anymore. You'll see in Debenhams in the Bullring now. Last time I saw her, she was doing make up for people.

For all the Sutton people, how about Jim the local tramp? He's got a monster of a rucksack and is commonly seen in the doorway to the old Natural World store on the Parade or sitting down somewhere on the Birmingham Road!

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
An idea taken from the Leeds forum, but a Brum version.
And an Idea that ought to go back to the Leeds forum.

It might have seemed funny to pick on people or make fun of people at school but most of us are supposed to be grown up and realised it's rude.

I thought as a sub-forum the Birmingham threads were always tolerant compared to some of the other threads.

There are lots of people who you might consider as characters but this thread is not what i thought it might be. One person's character is probably just someone normal to someone else.

:soapbox:

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Does anyone remember the black lady living in Small Heath/ Hay Mills - very close to the Asda? It wasn't actually her that was noticeable but the enormous wall she had constructed out of scrap between her house and the neighbours in the front garden. It started to sag quite dangerously at one point and soon after, most of it had been removed. I saw her once, dancing outside her house with a hammer on her head. At one point, all the windows in her house were taken out and replaced with, what looked like, fish netting! Haven't gone past the house for a few years now!

·
ex-pat Brummie
6,475 Posts
There's a busker who's been playing Beatles songs badly for as long as I can remember.....last saw him on New St. Looks a bit like Paul McCartney (in an odd way).

He used to have one of the council's "Busk Stops".

I always like it when I see him. Familiarity I suppose!

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
That geezer who plays the screeching bag pipes, normally found in Centenary Square. Someone needs to put us all out of our misery and tell him how awful he is.
Oh dear, that man really either needs to learn to play the bagpipes, or better still, SHUT UP! I just don't see how you could think bagpipes would make a good busking instrument.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
And an Idea that ought to go back to the Leeds forum.

It might have seemed funny to pick on people or make fun of people at school but most of us are supposed to be grown up and realised it's rude.

I thought as a sub-forum the Birmingham threads were always tolerant compared to some of the other threads.

There are lots of people who you might consider as characters but this thread is not what i thought it might be. One person's character is probably just someone normal to someone else.

:soapbox:
i don't think it's rude - talking about people who everyone seems to recognise, and I am sure that some of them would be delighted that they are thought to be a character.

And getting stopped in the street for the umpteenth time either to a) have an attempt at brainwashing into a cult or b) being asked for change (usually by someone looking for their next fix) is far ruder. And they don't worry about it.

:)

PS - did you think we would be talking about Benny from Crossroads - fictional characters? I did when I saw the title and though "how dull". This is far better :pepper:

·
Registered
842 Posts
I agree with everything you say Bio, I think you have over reacted slightly Feltip. I'd be flattered if I was mentioned on here, even if it was to mention some humorous attribute I have lol. It is better to be a character than to be boring.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts